G-SYNC and framerate caps

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
0134RY73

G-SYNC and framerate caps

Post by 0134RY73 » 10 Dec 2014, 03:40

How do you guys set up G sync, do you use a frame rate cap? because messing about with a few games with G sync on I thought I would try a frame limit also and it definitely felt more responsive, even less lag :)

Edmond

Re: G sync

Post by Edmond » 10 Dec 2014, 03:47

Turn on gsync in the nvidia control panel.
Vsync must be off whereever it can be.
Then download rivatuner statistics server and put up a global fps cap thats a few fps lower than your max refresh.

0134RY73

Post by 0134RY73 » 10 Dec 2014, 03:56

I know how to set up G sync, but was wandering about the frame cap, yes a frame cap a few fps below your max refresh rate is much better.
From what I understand if your at your frame limit say 144Hz with g sync it acts like Vsync a bit laggy :)

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 10 Dec 2014, 06:20

Well, ye when fps=max hz with gsync its the same as vsync fps=hz.

I wouldnt call it laggy, but there definitely is some extra input lag, if your fps holds @ max refresh rate. (it means your video card is making more frames than can be shown)

Just put up a 135fps global cap with rivatuner to have and be done. Doesnt get any smoother and cleaner than that.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: G-SYNC and framerate caps

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Dec 2014, 18:00

Has anyone done high-speed-video input lag tests on Rivatuner capping versus in-game capping?

Nearly all external capping methods (driver/Rivatuner/monitor) create more lag than internal capping method (game engine). The game has more control over how close the input reads are relative to output presentation (lower lag between game input & display output), without the framerate being throttled outside of the game engine's control.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

hatenames

Post by hatenames » 12 Dec 2014, 19:41

League of legends just added 120 and 144 frame rate limitors in game. For input lag, leaving gsync at 144 and ingame at 120 would be best? or do you think getting rivatuner to get 15 extra fps be just fine?

Cooknn

Post by Cooknn » 23 Dec 2014, 17:08

Just to throw in my experience. I recently added a second ASUS GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II to my rig and although my SLI results have been AMAZING with G-Sync I have had to work around the occasional stutter in my racing title Assetto Corsa. I found that if I cap the frame rate at 72 fps all stays fluid. Am I correct in assuming that 72 is a good number to cap at since it's 50% of 144 :?: Oh and FYI, I cap it in game as opposed to in the NVIDIA control panel.
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz • 2 * ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II • Asus VG248QE Monitor w/ G-SYNC • Corsair Obsidian 450D Case • Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 Mobo • Corsair H100i CPU Cooler • 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro SDRAM • Windows 8.1 64-bit

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Dec 2014, 17:20

Cooknn wrote:Just to throw in my experience. I recently added a second ASUS GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II to my rig and although my SLI results have been AMAZING with G-Sync I have had to work around the occasional stutter in my racing title Assetto Corsa. I found that if I cap the frame rate at 72 fps all stays fluid. Am I correct in assuming that 72 is a good number to cap at since it's 50% of 144 :?: Oh and FYI, I cap it in game as opposed to in the NVIDIA control panel.
72fps is a good number for some games, but you probably can get equally good results at 70fps or 80fps. Usually, capping is often game-engine dependant, as some of them like a lower cap than higher. A popular cap for GSYNC monitors is between 120fps or 135fps, giving some breathing room below bashing hard against the monitor's hard limit (creating lag).

It's generally best to let game engines control the frame rate cap for lower lag, than to have the monitor throttle you (more lag, like VSYNC ON).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Cooknn

Post by Cooknn » 23 Dec 2014, 17:38

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Cooknn wrote:Just to throw in my experience. I recently added a second ASUS GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II to my rig and although my SLI results have been AMAZING with G-Sync I have had to work around the occasional stutter in my racing title Assetto Corsa. I found that if I cap the frame rate at 72 fps all stays fluid. Am I correct in assuming that 72 is a good number to cap at since it's 50% of 144 :?: Oh and FYI, I cap it in game as opposed to in the NVIDIA control panel.
72fps is a good number for some games, but you probably can get equally good results at 70fps or 80fps. Usually, capping is often game-engine dependant, as some of them like a lower cap than higher. A popular cap for GSYNC monitors is between 120fps or 135fps, giving some breathing room below bashing hard against the monitor's hard limit (creating lag).

It's generally best to let game engines control the frame rate cap for lower lag, than to have the monitor throttle you (more lag, like VSYNC ON).
Thanks for your quick reply, Chief! I have almost all the eye candy on Ultra, so with a full field of 24 cars, I am fortunate to get over 72 fps consistently. Some of the Career Mode races have me up against smaller fields and my frame rate pegs 144 which is when I start to see the occasional stutter. Never saw it prior to going SLI. Anyways, 72 works for me. So that's where I'll hang for now. Fingers crossed that NVIDIA will put Assetto Corsa on their ToDo list for driver/SLI optimization. It just went final with version 1.0 last week.
ManuelG_NVIDIA wrote:Hopefully you are you reading this, Manuel :D
If you're interested, here's the intro movie!
phpBB [video]
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz • 2 * ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II • Asus VG248QE Monitor w/ G-SYNC • Corsair Obsidian 450D Case • Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 Mobo • Corsair H100i CPU Cooler • 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro SDRAM • Windows 8.1 64-bit

ciopenhauer

Post by ciopenhauer » 10 Nov 2015, 11:31

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but this seems to be the place to ask: Has anything changed? Do we still need to cap FPS to ~135 in order to prevent input lag? Anyone knows?