Install Help [G-SYNC Upgrade Kit]

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
PiERiT

Install Help [G-SYNC Upgrade Kit]

Post by PiERiT » 16 Jan 2014, 16:00

I'm on the final step where you plug in the long white thin cable with the blue tip. The video says that the connector on the board has a little flap that opens up, and you're supposed to put the tip in there then press down.

Mine is either missing the flap, or it's incredibly hard to open. Ideas?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Install Help [G-SYNC Upgrade Kit]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Jan 2014, 16:32

PiERiT wrote:I'm on the final step where you plug in the long white thin cable with the blue tip. The video says that the connector on the board has a little flap that opens up, and you're supposed to put the tip in there then press down.
Mine is either missing the flap, or it's incredibly hard to open. Ideas?
Can you please post a close-up photograph?
Or a link to one of the photographs or specific YouTub
This will help me assist you.

Do you mean this point 13min30sec into the video?
phpBB [video]

Does your connector look similar to this?
Be extremely careful, that connector is fragile. If you are stuck, take a photograph of the connector and post it. If you can't reach it with your finger, you may need to very gingerly, gently, carefully use your plastic pry tool to lightly click it upwards. Do not force it, however!

Note: Blur Busters dislcaims all responsibility for damage to your monitor. Proceed at own risk. That said, this forum welcomes feedback!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

PiERiT

Post by PiERiT » 16 Jan 2014, 16:38

That's the one. I figured it out, though.

I had to pull it outwards before it would raise up. It's hard to describe. Basically, after the guy in the tutorial presses it down, you can also push it backwards, and it snugly pushes in. Mine was in that pushed in state from the get-go. I guess most peoples' aren't?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Jan 2014, 16:42

PiERiT wrote:That's the one. I figured it out, though.

I had to pull it outwards before it would raise up. It's hard to describe. Basically, after the guy in the tutorial presses it down, you can also push it backwards, and it snugly pushes in. Mine was in that pushed in state from the get-go. I guess most peoples' aren't?
Aha, yes, the lock mechanism!
As you noticed, the lock mechanism is designed to lock down the ribbon cable so it stays put.

Ideally, you want to undo the lock mechanism before pulling the flat ribbon cable out; so usually the lock mechanism is disengaged when you reinstall the flat ribbon cable. But that's not what you experienced -- you had a locked empty ribbon socket, and got stumped at this step.

Good to know, so we can inform other users what to do, if they are stumped by this step.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

PiERiT

Post by PiERiT » 16 Jan 2014, 16:51

Well, on the stock board, it just lifted up. I didn't have to unlock anything. So when it was locked on the GSYNC board, it took a while to figure out.

Everything is up and running now. I'm mildly worried about one thing, though. Ya know in some games when you change a setting, the whole screen goes black for a split second, like the input is lost? That's how mine works with GSYNC off, but with it on, some of the screen is black and the rest of it is like a rainbow. Is that normal?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Jan 2014, 16:56

PiERiT wrote:Well, on the stock board, it just lifted up. I didn't have to unlock anything. So when it was locked on the GSYNC board, it took a while to figure out.

Everything is up and running now. I'm mildly worried about one thing, though. Ya know in some games when you change a setting, the whole screen goes black for a split second, like the input is lost? That's how mine works with GSYNC off, but with it on, some of the screen is black and the rest of it is like a rainbow. Is that normal?
I've never heard of this. Can you take a photograph?

If it is what I am thinking, maybe a ribbon cable is loose and simply needs re-seating (jiggling).
But post a photograph, so I can confirm.

PiERiT

Post by PiERiT » 16 Jan 2014, 16:58

I'll try to get a picture. It's only present for a split second, so I might not be able to.

You are referring to the ribbon cable I started the thread for? I made a special effort to get it as snug as possible, since it took me so damn long to get it installed. Plus, I assume the ribbon is used without GSYNC, since it was already present in the monitor.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Jan 2014, 17:05

PiERiT wrote:I'll try to get a picture. It's only present for a split second, so I might not be able to.
Video. :D
Record high-def video from a close distance (e.g. camera sitting on micro-tripod right in front of you) a tripod and play continuously.
Once you're done, find the video frame and take a screenshot.

PiERiT

Rainbow Artifact during changing settings

Post by PiERiT » 16 Jan 2014, 17:06

Here's a couple pictures of the rainbow thing. Everything is perfect during gameplay; it's just when the input is lost momentarily when changing certain settings.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Jan 2014, 17:10

That seems to look like it _might_ be a sort of a defect -- I would currently suspect a loose connector. Try unplugging and reseating the connector (very carefully). However, if it's not interfering with your normal gameplay, you don't have to rush to open things up if the problem only shows up during mode-switching (e.g. launching a game, versus exiting a game). If this happens in the middle of a game, it may be a problem.

I will send a link to NVIDIA to this thread, to ask about the best remedy for this.