G-Sync game compatibility - Post your test results here

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
PiERiT

Re: G-Sync game compatibility - Post your test results here

Post by PiERiT » 25 Jul 2015, 17:36

So what exactly happens when a game stutters even with G-SYNC? Is it a limitation of a component other than the graphics card? Poor programming that can't be fixed no matter how much hardware you throw at it?

I am getting loads of stuttering in Victor Vran with a 980 Ti and G-SYNC. It's very annoying considering it isn't that demanding of a game anyways.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 25 Jul 2015, 17:56

It could be a lot of things and is often specific to certain hardware configurations. I generally put it down to some sort of problem with the game engine. I know that some engines behave poorly when the rendering thread is hitting a CPU bottleneck which is quite common.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 25 Jul 2015, 21:20

As he said. rendering/cpu/ram hiccups. Gsync only stops hitching from uneven frames being drawn or frames not being in sync with the refresh rate. Like the stuttering you will get at 85 FPS with vsync on, and triplebuffering at 100hz refresh rate. Gsync dynamically adjusts the refresh rate to 85 while maintaining the lag free play of vsync off, without vsync actually being off. That's oversimplified but you get the idea.