G-Sync game compatibility - Post your test results here

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
MxOAgentJohnson

Re: G-Sync game compatibility - Post your test results here

Post by MxOAgentJohnson » 24 Mar 2015, 14:07

I dont know whats up then
Gsync varying FPS has an issue where mouse isnt very smooth, unless locked at 60fps on a lot of games.

Non GSync varied fps is fine but stuttery because of the lack of gsync smoothing out the varied framerates.

125hz is definately worse than 1000hz on my mouses polling rate.

Maybe its my mouse but i doubt it as i've tried a couple and all have the issue. I use a Razer abyssus.

Using a 360 pad is smooth as silk? Very bizzare/

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 24 Mar 2015, 14:56

MxOAgentJohnson wrote:I dont know whats up then
Gsync varying FPS has an issue where mouse isnt very smooth, unless locked at 60fps on a lot of games.

Non GSync varied fps is fine but stuttery because of the lack of gsync smoothing out the varied framerates.

Maybe its my mouse but i doubt it as i've tried a couple and all have the issue. I use a Razer abyssus.

That makes me think it is mouse configuration issue.

Try uninstalling all the Razer and any other mouse software, make sure windows mouse sensitivity is set to 6/11 and enhance pointer precision is off.
In-game make sure mouse smoothing, acceleration, and any other weird settings are off and raw input is on. Basically everything described here. Also make sure you have your controller disconnected and disabled so you don't get any extra input from it messing stuff up. You might also want to try using your mouse on another usb port.

MxOAgentJohnson

Post by MxOAgentJohnson » 24 Mar 2015, 15:18

sharknice wrote:
MxOAgentJohnson wrote:I dont know whats up then

That makes me think it is mouse configuration issue.

Try uninstalling all the Razer and any other mouse software, make sure windows mouse sensitivity is set to 6/11 and enhance pointer precision is off.
In-game make sure mouse smoothing, acceleration, and any other weird settings are off and raw input is on. Basically everything described here. Also make sure you have your controller disconnected and disabled so you don't get any extra input from it messing stuff up. You might also want to try using your mouse on another usb port.
Already done all of this to no help and used multiple pcs and mouses.

MxOAgentJohnson

Post by MxOAgentJohnson » 25 Mar 2015, 08:04

Just been testing it all day and all i can think is that Mouses dont like variable refresh rates.

I wanna take note the mouse isnt bad in every game, but its still, there, around the 72-90 fps zone theres an undeniable small little pauses within the mouse movement, nothing that causes stutter but might be noticable if you're moving the mouse around.

Happens mostly with titles that use an ingame mouse method as opposed to hardware, so i noticed it doesnt happen in games like Sleeping Dogs and others.

No idea, most people probably wont notice it, i guess mouses, mices, mice lol dont like the variable refresh rate of gsync sometimes on some games.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 25 Mar 2015, 11:15

I can tell you that my Logitech G400s has zero issues with variable refresh rates. I have yet to run into a game that runs smoothly with G-Sync yet stutters when moving the mouse. And trust me, I am very sensitive to that sort of thing.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Mar 2015, 12:42

MxOAgentJohnson wrote:Just been testing it all day and all i can think is that Mouses dont like variable refresh rates.
This isn't true.
It's very mouse-dependant, and sometimes also USB subsystem dependant. Directly hook the mouse to the best port of your PC (and preferably a USB2 or USB3 port). Try changing USB ports. You may have less 1000Hz microstutter on a different USB port. I've seen mouse microstutter going sub-millisecond on some USB ports, and over one millisecond on different USB ports, and through a hub (especially shared with other devices). Also, try a different brand of 1000Hz mouse.

You need a USB port with sub-millisecond jitter and a mouse with sub-millisecond jitter, and 1000Hz mode and a game that is variable refresh rate friendly -- for the mouse to play well with variable refresh rate. Also temporarily, try playing a reference game such as a Source Engine based game, as some various games have big stutter problems (e.g. Skyrim, Doom 3, etc). Try a very good gaming optical-friendly mousepad, with a very good microtextured surfaces rather than a cloth surface, as they can improve accuracy of tracking, tracking improved dramatically with some mousepads with much less microstutter.

I have seen good 500Hz mice that feels smoother than other 1000Hz mice, so it can be mouse-dependant, too.

Alternatively, you might be seeing other microstutter artifacts that might not be caused by the mouse itself. Try keyboard strafing during a varying refresh rate situation, and see if you see the same microstutters. If they aren't there, then it's definitely something related to the mouse.

Also try resetting Control Panel sensitivity to middle (so Windows doesn't add rounding errors to tracking = microstutter), and then after doing that, adjusting the mouse driver's DPI, including testing slightly higher DPI and using a lower in-game tracking sensitivity.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MxOAgentJohnson

Post by MxOAgentJohnson » 25 Mar 2015, 13:30

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
MxOAgentJohnson wrote:Just been testing it all day and all i can think is that Mouses dont like variable refresh rates.
This isn't true.
It's very mouse-dependant, and sometimes also USB subsystem dependant. Directly hook the mouse to the best port of your PC (and preferably a USB2 or USB3 port). Try changing USB ports. You may have less 1000Hz microstutter on a different USB port. I've seen mouse microstutter going sub-millisecond on some USB ports, and over one millisecond on different USB ports, and through a hub (especially shared with other devices). Also, try a different brand of 1000Hz mouse.

You need a USB port with sub-millisecond jitter and a mouse with sub-millisecond jitter, and 1000Hz mode and a game that is variable refresh rate friendly -- for the mouse to play well with variable refresh rate. Also temporarily, try playing a reference game such as a Source Engine based game, as some various games have big stutter problems (e.g. Skyrim, Doom 3, etc). Try a very good gaming optical-friendly mousepad, with a very good microtextured surfaces rather than a cloth surface, as they can improve accuracy of tracking, tracking improved dramatically with some mousepads with much less microstutter.

I have seen good 500Hz mice that feels smoother than other 1000Hz mice, so it can be mouse-dependant, too.

Alternatively, you might be seeing other microstutter artifacts that might not be caused by the mouse itself. Try keyboard strafing during a varying refresh rate situation, and see if you see the same microstutters. If they aren't there, then it's definitely something related to the mouse.

Also try resetting Control Panel sensitivity to middle (so Windows doesn't add rounding errors to tracking = microstutter), and then after doing that, adjusting the mouse driver's DPI, including testing slightly higher DPI and using a lower in-game tracking sensitivity.
Tried every port, tried every setting, tried everything. Some games dont like Gsync varying the refresh rate.

Its impossible to test this on a source based game where you cant exactly hit between 70-90 or so fps regularly because. Well it's source, and my computer could probably run 9 source games at once and all be spewing out 300 fps.

And like i said, it isnt every game, so it makes me more akin to believe some games dont like the mouse when the refresh rate is changing like that, because keyboard strafing is fine and using a controller is fine too.

It isnt typical stutter, i assume most people wouldnt notice it aswell, it just doesnt feel 100% smooth on some games, Tomb Raider doesnt when the fps is varying and has these little jitters when turning sometimes, whereas Sleeping Dogs is beautifully smooth no matter what.

Just down to games really.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 25 Mar 2015, 18:02

MxOAgentJohnson wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
This isn't true.

Tried every port, tried every setting, tried everything. Some games dont like Gsync varying the refresh rate.

Its impossible to test this on a source based game where you cant exactly hit between 70-90 or so fps regularly because. Well it's source, and my computer could probably run 9 source games at once and all be spewing out 300 fps.

And like i said, it isnt every game, so it makes me more akin to believe some games dont like the mouse when the refresh rate is changing like that, because keyboard strafing is fine and using a controller is fine too.

It isnt typical stutter, i assume most people wouldnt notice it aswell, it just doesnt feel 100% smooth on some games, Tomb Raider doesnt when the fps is varying and has these little jitters when turning sometimes, whereas Sleeping Dogs is beautifully smooth no matter what.

Well, your cursor is only updated to the screen once per refresh, so it's still moving at the same speed across the screen, but with VRR, how frequently you see it depends on your framerate. With fixed refresh, the cursor is updated on every refresh, even if a new frame hasn't finished yet. This regression in mouse smoothness is the reason for this post: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1605

MxOAgentJohnson

Post by MxOAgentJohnson » 25 Mar 2015, 19:30

Sparky wrote:
MxOAgentJohnson wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
This isn't true.

Well, your cursor is only updated to the screen once per refresh, so it's still moving at the same speed across the screen, but with VRR, how frequently you see it depends on your framerate. With fixed refresh, the cursor is updated on every refresh, even if a new frame hasn't finished yet. This regression in mouse smoothness is the reason for this post: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1605
This might be the casse with me then, its not so much a stutter as it is feels like the mouse is kind of stopping at tiems, not to a complete stop but doesnt seem to be a complete -------- smoothness more so -- -------- -- -------, If that makes sense where a gap is the mouse slowing down a tad, but only happens on a few games and if the fps is like around 70-92 i guess.

Joolsyz

Post by Joolsyz » 25 Mar 2015, 21:22

"I wanna take note the mouse isnt bad in every game, but its still, there, around the 72-90 fps zone theres an undeniable small little pauses within the mouse movement"

I have that with a controller in some games... Spec Ops The Line being one. And in some parts of Crysis 3 i get the same issues you are experiencing with a mouse or controller... more noticeable with mouse.