GSync on Monitor, Vsync on TV

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
ophidon

GSync on Monitor, Vsync on TV

Post by ophidon » 05 Mar 2015, 12:17

I have a BENQ 2420G being delivered tomorrow, and i'm looking forward to it.

However, I have a question about how (or if) I can configure the system to not need 'reconfigured' constantly.

My main monitor will be the 2420G and likely usually in gsync mode. However, my same system is also hooked up via hdmi to my 60" television, and sometimes my wife or I game on that instead. Currently all I have to do to switch over is change the TV to the primary monitor and I'm good to go since they are both 60hz 1080p screens. Adding the need to reconfigure to vsync/gsync on every swap is something I'd like to avoid if possible, especially as that will probably make it too much of a hassle for my wife to mess with.

Does anyone have experience with a setup like this?

Cygnus11

Re: GSync on Monitor, Vsync on TV

Post by Cygnus11 » 05 Mar 2015, 12:57

I don't have specific experience with this kind of setup, but my guess is you will just have to change the primary display through the nvidia control panel from your 2420G to your TV. The drivers should automatically disable g-sync and switch over to v-sync.

aeliusg

Post by aeliusg » 05 Mar 2015, 14:36

Seems to default to V-sync behavior when G-sync is not used. Your global 3D settings won't change from G-sync automatically, though, so if you like to use adaptive or something you'll have to change it yourself.

Boildown

Post by Boildown » 06 Mar 2015, 01:53

What about if you clone your screen to show on your G-Sync monitor and another non-G-Sync display at the same time? How does it work?

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 06 Mar 2015, 13:33

Yeah, I've cloned on Asus VG248QE gsync and LG W2363D. Both running in 120 hz mode. Asus runs with gsync and LG with no vsync and tearing.

I don't think it's possible to have vsync on the other monitor, because gsync overrides vsync, even though vsync does appear to be a totally different setting in the real driver options in nvidia inspector, not like in nvidia control panel where lists it as the same. Technically gsync is the "variable refresh rate on or off" setting, which is completely different from vsync. But I think they have it hard coded for vsync to switch off when gsync is activated.

I'll have a look at it and get back to you

As for the original poster, just enable vsync in every game if you want. If you use the gsync monitor, it'll override. But if you plug into a non gsync screen you should just automatically get vsync

LocutusEstBorg

Post by LocutusEstBorg » 29 Apr 2015, 08:14

Do you notice any weird bugs when using clone mode and G-SYNC? For me DSR doesn't work. The higher resolutions don't show up in the game.