PoWn3d_0704's Gsync Thread

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
PoWn3d_0704

PoWn3d_0704's Gsync Thread

Post by PoWn3d_0704 » 17 Jan 2014, 21:41

Alright everyone, This is gonna be my thread showing everything I run into with GSync. Already, I've had plenty of issues. During installation for instance, the new bracket for the power connector on the GSync module was not finished from the factory.

Notice the three dimples on this bracket? That is the latching mechanism for the plate...

This one is just flat metal. It isn't finished, and I had to use the OEM one again, which leaves a fairly large hole in the back of my monitor.

Games
(Will be continually updated)

Battlefield 4

YES! GSync actually makes the damn game playable. Frame rate drops bug me more than anything else in the world. GSync has effectively gotten rid of it, and allowed me to make the game prettier. I'm actually OKAY with something less than 144 FPS. However, that doesnt change that BF4 is the laggiest, slowest, worst coded game I've ever played.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

GSync works well if you limit your FPS in the game engine, much like CS:GO. ULMB makes the game really crisp. Serious preference here, Would you rather there be no motion blur or no tearing? In CoD4, I like both. (Please let us use both nVidia)

Counter Strike: Global Offensive

Same deal as CoD4, they act exactly the same. Low latency games that benefit from Gsync below 140FPS and benefit from ULMB if you are gonna play above that.

Fallout: New Vegas
Tale of Two Wastelands

A lot of engine based stuttering. Standing still and moving your mouse is really smooth, even at the 60-70 FPS that I usually see in the heavily modded game I have. I was really excited to see what GSync would do for a game where I go from 40 to 144 FPS quite regularly. Let me tell you, its very nice. Only stuttering was while rapidly looking around while strafing, and that is certainty the game, not GSync. I have noticed that the panel flickers and gets pretty grainy around 30 FPS, and it's pretty bad at 20ish FPS. (Normally see this during FPS locked loading screens.)
Last edited by PoWn3d_0704 on 17 Jan 2014, 22:46, edited 5 times in total.
Asus VG248QE with GSync. Blur Busters GSync Contest Winner.

PoWn3d_0704

Re: PoWn3d_0704's Gsync Thread

Post by PoWn3d_0704 » 17 Jan 2014, 21:43

Problem... I can't get ANY game to launch when SLI is enabled. If I disable SLI, my monitors go to 'Input not detected' and stay off until a reboot, but often times the PC will reboot with SLI enabled by default, causing me to not be able to game. I'm not sure if I ever got BF4 to work while SLI was enabled, and indeed had troubles getting BF4 to launch. Seems like maybe SLI is not currently an option (for me at least) with GSync.

Getting various errors from Drivers not responding to DirectX errors.

EDIT: Diabled SLI, unplugged GSync monitor and then plugged it back it, hoping to get rid of 'No Input Detected', and there was still no response. Rebooted my PC, and my nVidia drivers were gone. Corrupt. Launched on my IPS at 800x600 as a Generic PnP monitor. Had to reinstall drivers manually. So... don't unplug your DisplayPort cable if your monitor is derping around.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jan 2014, 22:08

PoWn3d_0704 wrote:Alright everyone, This is gonna be my thread showing everything I run into with GSync.
Good stuff! Keep it up, we're eagerly anticipating more information from you!
And please do post install photos, yes!
PoWn3d_0704 wrote:Battlefield 4
YES! GSync actually makes the damn game playable. Frame rate drops bug me more than anything else in the world. GSync has effectively gotten rid of it, and allowed me to make the game prettier. I'm actually OKAY with something less than 144 FPS. However, that doesnt change that BF4 is the laggies, slowest, worst coded game I've ever played.
It definitely is one of those games, alongside games like Crysis 3, that really scream for G-SYNC.
As you've already now noticed, G-SYNC favours lower/stuttery framerates, and ULMB favours higher/consistent framerates.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

PoWn3d_0704

Post by PoWn3d_0704 » 17 Jan 2014, 22:27

Fallout New Vegas Added.

Managed to get SLI to stay disabled without pulling any hardware. Let the gaming commence! I can't find my phone to upload pictures, lol.

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 18 Jan 2014, 01:16

PoWn3d_0704 wrote: Fallout: New Vegas

A lot of engine based stuttering. Standing still and moving your mouse is really smooth, even at the 60-70 FPS that I usually see in the heavily modded game I have. I was really excited to see what GSync would do for a game where I go from 40 to 144 FPS quite regularly. Let me tell you, its very nice. Only stuttering was while rapidly looking around while strafing, and that is certainty the game, not GSync. I have noticed that the panel flickers and gets pretty grainy around 30 FPS, and it's pretty bad at 20ish FPS. (Normally see this during FPS locked loading screens.)
I can help you there. Knowing that you have modded your game a lot, I suppose you already have installed the New Vegas Script Extender (NVSE). What you need is this: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34832/?
It's the New Vegas Stutter Remover. It needs NVSE in order to work, and it gets rid of the typical 64Hz "bug" of the game engine. Once installed (it goes inside the plugins folder of NVSE), you'll need to change the ini settings to change the max fps from 30 to whatever you want. I play at 75fps and 75Hz, and it never stutters.

There's a stutter remover for Oblivion and Fallout 3 too (Skyrim doesn't stutter for me, in the first place).
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

PoWn3d_0704

Post by PoWn3d_0704 » 18 Jan 2014, 01:33

I'm using Tale of Two Wastelands, you know if this is confirmed working?

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 18 Jan 2014, 01:39

PoWn3d_0704 wrote:I'm using Tale of Two Wastelands, you know if this is confirmed working?
I have just looked around, and some people seem to use it: http://taleoftwowastelands.com/content/ ... -stability
It should be compatible with everything, I think. Another recommendation is the 4GB exe file. It allows more RAM to be used.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 18 Jan 2014, 02:24

I'm pretty sure that bracket is meant to be flat, that's why they recommend electrical tape. It does seem a bit lazy on their part, just like using an external power supply.
masterotaku wrote:I can help you there. Knowing that you have modded your game a lot, I suppose you already have installed the New Vegas Script Extender (NVSE). What you need is this: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34832/?
It's the New Vegas Stutter Remover. It needs NVSE in order to work, and it gets rid of the typical 64Hz "bug" of the game engine. Once installed (it goes inside the plugins folder of NVSE), you'll need to change the ini settings to change the max fps from 30 to whatever you want. I play at 75fps and 75Hz, and it never stutters.

There's a stutter remover for Oblivion and Fallout 3 too (Skyrim doesn't stutter for me, in the first place).
Those stutter remover mods have been absolutely mandatory for me for years. The games stutter so much without the mods that they actually appear to be jittering back to a prior frame quite regularly. Skyrim never stuttered for me until one of the later patches, when Bethesda reintroduced a nasty stuttering bug but there's no mod to fix it. Luckily it only occurs at <60 fps (with the monitor at 60 Hz) but I'm curious if G-sync will be able to solve it at any framerate. I'm also planning to try the games capped at 64 fps without the mod to see how that does.

PoWn3d_0704

Post by PoWn3d_0704 » 19 Jan 2014, 16:21

The official nVidia video shows a bracket with dimples to allow the bracket to snap right on. It's fine, I rather use the OEM one over electrical tape anyways.

I'm still having massive SLI issues, and I have had one single instance of an issue during gameplay aside from that. I was playing Call of Duty 4, and I was probably an hour into it, when the monitor went completely black for maybe 1 or 1.5 seconds. Then it came right back as if nothing happened. That has never happened in 1000's of hours of CoD4, so I know it was the GSync having an issue. Hasn't done it since though.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 19 Jan 2014, 16:48

If you watch closely on the NVIDIA video they display the text "may not be the same as in kit" when he is installing the bracket.

Mine was just like yours, I just used electrical tape and taped it down.