GSYNC and SLI not working for 2x 770s

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
sharknice

GSYNC and SLI not working for 2x 770s

Post by sharknice » 18 Jan 2014, 03:11

I have SLI 770s and GSYNC will not work when I have SLI on. The game will run at what looks like 6 fps and crash usually before it even finishes loading. It usually freezes or crashes and I can't even alt-tab, or ctrl-alt-delete, I end up having to manually restart using the physical power button.

If I turn GSYNC off the game will work fine, or if I turn SLI off and use one GPU with GSYNC the game will work fine.

Anyone else having issues with SLI GSYNC or have any idea on how to get it working?

Solar

Re: GSYNC and SLI not working for 2x 770s

Post by Solar » 18 Jan 2014, 11:52

I run sli gtx 670's. So far when testing g-sync with sli, it gets high frame rates (80-140+) but still appears like a stuttering mess. The only way I have been able to truly test g-sync and see it work is to use one card.

sharknice, what games are you experiencing these issues with? Maybe I can test them as well.

frankzotynia10

Post by frankzotynia10 » 18 Jan 2014, 13:38

i had this same problem when i first started. every game starts up for a second, about 6fps and then crash. what i did was turn off SLI and restart. the drivers did not load on boot so i enabled them manually and then renabled SLI and it worked. try it out.

PoWn3d_0704

Post by PoWn3d_0704 » 18 Jan 2014, 16:39

What do you mean by enabled them manually?

I have SLI GTX 670's. If SLI is enabled on boot, and I disable it, I get a permanent 'No Input Detected' on my screen. If SLI is disabled on boot and I try to enable it, same thing. 'No Input Detected'. I am currently not able to run any game with SLI, which is a bummer. It does the 6 fps and flashing, then crashes to desktop giving various errors. One of which is a 'Drivers have stopped responding' which is good evidence that it may be fixed with a future driver release.
Asus VG248QE with GSync. Blur Busters GSync Contest Winner.

PoWn3d_0704

Post by PoWn3d_0704 » 18 Jan 2014, 17:12

Here is something I just tried on a whim...

Haven Benchmark 4.0 is considered the top stressing tool for GPUs out there. So I tried to launch it while SLI is enabled. Lo and Behold, the benchmark, which uses DirectX 11, crashed just like every other game.

But, then I noticed that it has an OpenGL mode, which works totally fine.

The issue is between DirectX, G-Sync, and nVidia drivers for sure. I'd like some people to confirm that Open GL works fine while under SLI, but this more or less confirms that we are gonna have to wait for a new driver from nVidia.
Asus VG248QE with GSync. Blur Busters GSync Contest Winner.

joncppl

Post by joncppl » 19 Jan 2014, 04:50

Solar wrote:I run sli gtx 670's. So far when testing g-sync with sli, it gets high frame rates (80-140+) but still appears like a stuttering mess. The only way I have been able to truly test g-sync and see it work is to use one card.

sharknice, what games are you experiencing these issues with? Maybe I can test them as well.
I also get stuttering when I use sli with g-sync.
However, NVIDIA say it's supposed to work with sli
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync/faq

frankzotynia10

Post by frankzotynia10 » 19 Jan 2014, 08:47

PoWn3d_0704 wrote:What do you mean by enabled them manually?

I have SLI GTX 670's. If SLI is enabled on boot, and I disable it, I get a permanent 'No Input Detected' on my screen. If SLI is disabled on boot and I try to enable it, same thing. 'No Input Detected'. I am currently not able to run any game with SLI, which is a bummer. It does the 6 fps and flashing, then crashes to desktop giving various errors. One of which is a 'Drivers have stopped responding' which is good evidence that it may be fixed with a future driver release.
sorry for the late response. go into device manager (right click my computer and then manage) and right click your gpus and check to see if they are enabled.

joncppl

Post by joncppl » 22 Jan 2014, 04:48

I wanted to mention that today I managed to get The Witcher 2 to work with G-SYNC and 2x770 SLI (after reinstalling drivers and such)
(previously It was stuck at <10fps or crashed)
and managing around 100fps and G-SYNC was so smooth I didn't know what to do with myself.

Still can't get SLI+G-SYNC to work with any other games though (so far I've tried crysis 2/3, bf3/4)
I will continue fiddling and trying more games.

I hope some driver updates make this more fluid. When G-SYNC/SLI causes the drivers to crash and my monitors go 'pop', I have to reset my pc by holding down the power button, and then my motherboard says "my overclocking attempt failed" (even though everything has been at stock since the first time this happened). This only happens with both G-SYNC and SLI enabled. Usually when a game finished loading and tries to start drawing 3D, or when turning on SLI.

Solar

Post by Solar » 22 Jan 2014, 21:20

joncppl wrote:I wanted to mention that today I managed to get The Witcher 2 to work with G-SYNC and 2x770 SLI (after reinstalling drivers and such)
(previously It was stuck at <10fps or crashed)
and managing around 100fps and G-SYNC was so smooth I didn't know what to do with myself.

Still can't get SLI+G-SYNC to work with any other games though (so far I've tried crysis 2/3, bf3/4)
I will continue fiddling and trying more games.

I hope some driver updates make this more fluid. When G-SYNC/SLI causes the drivers to crash and my monitors go 'pop', I have to reset my pc by holding down the power button, and then my motherboard says "my overclocking attempt failed" (even though everything has been at stock since the first time this happened). This only happens with both G-SYNC and SLI enabled. Usually when a game finished loading and tries to start drawing 3D, or when turning on SLI.
I just tried The Witcher 2 and you're right! It seems to work great with G-Sync + SLI. This is awesome since it proves that the two can work well together.

I do experience crashes with BF4, but i'm not sure if that's the driver or the games fault. It usually happens in the middle of a match. None of these crashes involved having to reset the computer though.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Jan 2014, 10:34

NVIDIA is currently aware of this issue.
From this, I would make the assumption they are working on it.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!