GSYNC and SLI not working for 2x 770s

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
joncppl

Re: GSYNC and SLI not working for 2x 770s

Post by joncppl » 23 Jan 2014, 22:21

Chief Blur Buster wrote:NVIDIA is currently aware of this issue.
From this, I would make the assumption they are working on it.
Thank you for the update.

PoWn3d_0704

Post by PoWn3d_0704 » 23 Jan 2014, 23:44

Seconded. Thanks for the update.
Asus VG248QE with GSync. Blur Busters GSync Contest Winner.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Jan 2014, 01:28

We gotta add the caveat -- games can also be at blame for gsync incompatibilities, too -- but wherever NVIDIA has control over, you can bet they're looking at it, given how important GSYNC has become to NVIDIA.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Shabutie

Post by Shabutie » 24 Jan 2014, 14:29

As this seems to be the most knowledgeable board on gsync currently, I figured I would ask for opinions in this thread.

I ordered my monitor last November in preparation of Gsync. I ordered the DIY kit the day it was available and the box is currently sitting in my house. I was about to do the installation when I noticed this thread about SLI issues.

My setup has 2 GTX 780's w/ACX. Is it currently worth it for me to install Gsync while these SLI issues persist? Or should I return it? Wait and see? I just want the best experience for myself, and while many seem to say it looks great, others have said it has weird problems like tear lines, flicker, and of course the SLI functionality.

In any of your opinions, is this worth installing right now, while dealing with the few minor headaches, because it should all hopefully be working great soon enough?

I just don't want to do the big installation, lose 220 dollars, and then have a monitor that disagrees with my gaming.

For the record, I do see screen tearing and stutters very well. I can personally notice the difference between 120 and 144 FPS, even though both are perfectly fine.

Thank you for time and answers. Have a wonderful day.

TheMagicianOfOld

Post by TheMagicianOfOld » 24 Jan 2014, 14:46

From my experience, if you're looking at framerates to perceived smoothness (these are greater than signs):

gsync 120 > vsync 144
gsync 120 >>> vsync 120
gysnc 90 = vsync 144

"I can personally notice the difference between 120 and 144 FPS, even though both are perfectly fine." It may seem hard to believe, but gsync 120 isn't actually comparable to regular 120 or vsync 120.

Shabutie

Post by Shabutie » 24 Jan 2014, 14:52

That is wonderful to read. I'm still nervous with my second card going to waste. I hope they fix it :(

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Jan 2014, 15:16

Shabutie wrote:That is wonderful to read. I'm still nervous with my second card going to waste. I hope they fix it :(
The silver lining is that gsync+single card ironically often looks better than vsync off+SLI, and actually has less lag than SLI to boot, too! But yes, we need to have our cake and eat it too -- if allowed to do so. :D

As we all know, GSYNC with SLI is technologically possible -- and should be made eventually work as widely as the games doesn't throw unfixable incompatibility roadblocks (and hopefully that's not too many!). You can bet all the major game companies are now probably purchasing a GSYNC monitor as we speak. No more "Skyrim Limited To 60Hz" nonsense in the future, I hope! GSYNC will "trojan horse" 144Hz monitors into many smaller gaming companies that formerly did not have 120Hz gaming monitors at all.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Shabutie

Post by Shabutie » 24 Jan 2014, 15:31

I guess, if worst comes to worst, I could always sell of my Second GTX 780. Would hate to have wasted the money though. It was my own fault for trusting the Nvidia initial press release.

PoWn3d_0704

Post by PoWn3d_0704 » 24 Jan 2014, 15:43

Hey, Shabutie, I was just talking to you on Reddit.

These guys are right. I was blown away by SLI Metro Last Light with Gsync. It looked REALLY good. Only afterwards did I realize that SLI was actually disabled and I was blown away by ONE SINGLE card.

New drivers should fix the SLI issue, but with this new monitor technology, SLI is suddenly less attractive. I am more inclined to hold out for a 880Ti In the next 6-9 months, and stick to a single card because of GSync.
Asus VG248QE with GSync. Blur Busters GSync Contest Winner.

Taylorsi

Post by Taylorsi » 25 Jan 2014, 21:18

I also had this issue.

I run 670sli. I installed the gsync diy kit in my vg248 while watching the install video in my pb287. Once I had gsync installed, I plugged it in with my comp running and 331.82 drivers already installed.

As soon as I loaded a game, 6 - 9fps. After a restart, same issue so I shutdown and unplugged the pb287. Once I turned it back on everything was working great. I haven't tried plugging the pq287 back in yet... I will test and report back when i have time.

That being said, everything is working great and both cards are 90%+ with crysis 3.