G-sync running on desktop

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
GameLifter

Re: G-sync running on desktop

Post by GameLifter » 14 Apr 2015, 22:22

Tried out Max Payne 3 and my performance is good. Looks like I'm lucky that this driver hasn't messed anything up. At least I haven't discovered any issues yet.......

ant1248

Post by ant1248 » 16 Apr 2015, 02:39

They better not call this glitch a "feature". I want an option to have ULMB default then G-Sync in games. Also if they could make it auto switch to 144 when it enters G-Sync I would love them and forgive them.
Am I the only one who notices ULMB eliminates purple color shift when looking from above my RoG Swift?

aeliusg

Post by aeliusg » 16 Apr 2015, 07:07

ant1248 wrote:They better not call this glitch a "feature". I want an option to have ULMB default then G-Sync in games. Also if they could make it auto switch to 144 when it enters G-Sync I would love them and forgive them.
Am I the only one who notices ULMB eliminates purple color shift when looking from above my RoG Swift?
You can get it to switch to 144 hz automatically by selecting "highest available" for preferred refresh rate in 3D settings.

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 16 Apr 2015, 09:06

aeliusg wrote:You can get it to switch to 144 hz automatically by selecting "highest available" for preferred refresh rate in 3D settings.
Indeed. But it doesn't always work, unless you run the desktop at 144hz as well. Since I run in ULMB 120hz on the desktop permanently, some games will only max refresh at 120hz, unless I change desktop to 144hz as well

aeliusg

Post by aeliusg » 16 Apr 2015, 09:28

fenderjaguar wrote:
aeliusg wrote:You can get it to switch to 144 hz automatically by selecting "highest available" for preferred refresh rate in 3D settings.
Indeed. But it doesn't always work, unless you run the desktop at 144hz as well. Since I run in ULMB 120hz on the desktop permanently, some games will only max refresh at 120hz, unless I change desktop to 144hz as well
Hmm, what games? Maybe you should file a ticket and let them know, since using the preferred refresh rate option seems to be their intended usage for switching. Also, are you using a Swift? Did you try the Turbo button?

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 16 Apr 2015, 17:39

aeliusg wrote:Hmm, what games? Maybe you should file a ticket and let them know, since using the preferred refresh rate option seems to be their intended usage for switching. Also, are you using a Swift? Did you try the Turbo button?
Oh, there's a few, wolfenstein new order springs to mind. I know that particular game has a hard 60 fps cap, but there is theoretically less input lag when running at a higher max refresh (I know it doesn't matter too much, but it's the only example I'm 100% sure of just off the top of my head). There are other games as well though

I must say, it does work with most things though. And I'm using the asus vg248qe with the gsync kit

GameLifter

Post by GameLifter » 17 Apr 2015, 23:15

I rolled back to 347.88 earlier tonight. The new driver caused black screen flashes in Halo: Spartan Assault and Postal 2. They went away after rolling back.

Joolsyz

Post by Joolsyz » 18 Apr 2015, 10:22

Quote from the Geforce forums.

"In our R349 drivers including 350.12, when G-SYNC is enabled in the NV Control Panel, it is always enabled and now supersedes in-game settings. A consequence for example, is that an end-user wanting to use ULMB mode in a game, must first turn-off G-SYNC in the NV Control Panel. We are investigating alternatives for a future driver release, but for now, use the NV Control Panel to turn off G-SYNC before using ULMB mode."

CalmDownMonkey

Post by CalmDownMonkey » 18 Apr 2015, 10:47

Nice find. That kinda settles this topic once and for all -- it is indeed intentional. A bit of a hassle, but hey-ho.

It would be nice if someone with know-how made a script to turn on and off G-SYNC instead of having to go into the control panel every time. Then it could be just a couple of desktop shortcuts to go on and off. I have a similar thing for Windows power saving profile... dunno if it's possible with G-SYNC mode though.

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 18 Apr 2015, 13:59

CalmDownMonkey wrote:it is indeed intentional
But why though? I don't understand what this makes better? Why would they do this..if there was something wrong with how it worked before, I could understand