Best monitor for gtx970?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Drugmix

Best monitor for gtx970?

Post by Drugmix » 20 Apr 2015, 09:05

Hi,
I got stuck while choosing a monitor and need your advice.

I'm planning to buy a single gtx970 and target to play modern games like GTA V and watch films.
Judging by this chart:
I won't get high fps rate in GTA 5, and thus the question: which monitor I'd better buy for that GPU to get the best picture quality in games and movies?

I just got stuck, because of course I would like things I can't afford, and thus my ultimate choice will be a trade off between some characteristics valuable to me.

I'd like to:
1. have as big monitor (both in physical size and in pixels), as possible.
2. have as little blur/tearing as possible.
3. not overpay for it (if there's not a big gain from having 144Hz/G-Sync, I'd better pick a 75-85Hz 1440p VA or IPS).

Should I aim for a monitor with G-Sync? Or a bigger one with 144Hz? Or the one that supports both?

Let's say I can't afford something like ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q or Acer XB270HU, Acer XB280HK (not only because they cost quite much, but also because they have lots of negative reviews by people claiming they are experiencing some issues with them and some even had to return them by guarantee).

So to sum it up:
1. From G-Sync monitors I can afford only BenQ XL2420G (24", 1080p, G-Sync) or Acer XB270HA (27", 1080p, G-Sync).
2. If G-Sync won't give me much gain, I then could pick just a 144Hz monitor from that list (would probably pick any 24"/27" 1080p 144Hz)
3. But if that won't matter much at average fps of 85, then I'd better target for some plain monitor that's 1440p or bigger, 27" or bigger and probably has VA or IPS matrix.

lexlazootin

Re: Best monitor for gtx970?

Post by lexlazootin » 20 Apr 2015, 10:52

Personally I think Gsync is a amazing technology that benefits anyone regardless of hitting a perfect 144~ fps. Even if you are only getting 85fps it will feel and look a lot more smooth and fluid compared to any 85hz panel on the market. Gsync is the thing I believe every person who games wants but doesn't know it yet.

My brother goes to "Lan" events playing SSBM on old crt TVs. He also plays at home on his CRT and sometimes emulating it on his PC so he can play online netplay. He hates the experience of playing on pc because of lag and frame tears. So I got him on my computer with my GSync monitor and he loves it, and wants to buy one for himself... That game only runs at 60fps but he thinks the difference is amazing.

If you do choose to get a Gsync monitor you will not be disappointed, and when you turn down a few settings to hit a higher frame rate you will love it that little more.

Btw the benq and acer are both pretty good for the price, just look at some reviews or overviews of them and don't stress yourself out. :)

whitespider

Post by whitespider » 23 Apr 2015, 09:45

If you are going to get a gsync monitor, might as well get a ips one. There is no ips one, so.... I don't know, i'd just wait for a 1920x1080 ips monitor around the 400-500 mark, monitors are investments, so ips is one of those things that will constantly pay off (much like gsync)

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 23 Apr 2015, 10:09

whitespider wrote:If you are going to get a gsync monitor, might as well get a ips one. There is no ips one, so.... I don't know, i'd just wait for a 1920x1080 ips monitor around the 400-500 mark, monitors are investments, so ips is one of those things that will constantly pay off (much like gsync)

Acer xb270hu is the only IPS gsync monitor out there now. Its also 27", 2560x1440 and 144hz, which is amazing.
The 800$ it costs is kinda ... ye. But i believe we should see 1080p variants soon.

However, personally i need the 21:9 version of that before i give any of these milkers my money.
There is actually a 21:9, gsync, 144hz, 1080p, VA screen coming from acer by the end of the year, so looking forward to that.

Yes, there are some ips freesync monitors too, but freesync seems to have a ghosting issue which makes it irrelevant until its fixed.
If i am going to spend money it will be on a SOLUTION to the age old problems, not another trade-off.

whitespider

Post by whitespider » 23 Apr 2015, 10:57

Freesync also has major lower-than-refresh problems. Even on SLI 980's you are going to encounter gameplay that drops below 30 (explosions, sudden use of brokeh, demanding engines, bethesda modding, and much more)

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 23 Apr 2015, 15:29

whitespider wrote:Freesync also has major lower-than-refresh problems. Even on SLI 980's you are going to encounter gameplay that drops below 30 (explosions, sudden use of brokeh, demanding engines, bethesda modding, and much more)
Ye, gsync does double and quad refreshses when it drops below the MIN hz of the panel.
But still - these MIN caps are a defect of the shit LCD tech. I dont think we should use them to devalue gsync or freesync.

On an gsync/freesync implemented OLED there would be no min cap, as OLED is good enough to just hold the image @ 0hz, in the case of sub1fps in load screens or smth.

whitespider

Post by whitespider » 30 Apr 2015, 06:23

What gsync does at low end is pretty impressive though. It hardly makes 30fps look wonderful, but it makes it look consistent. I compare it to assassins creed 3 and black flag (same engine), they might have been a little over demanding for what you got, but the framerate at the lower spectrum on those engines chugged along in a very satisfying way.

RLBURNSIDE

Post by RLBURNSIDE » 05 Jun 2015, 11:36

I just got my XB270HU and it's a perfect match. Easily worth the money. I think 1080p monitors are not the ideal fit for gtx 970, it can do 1440p no problem.