iMac & G-Sync Monitor (external/2nd Display)

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
TOM

iMac & G-Sync Monitor (external/2nd Display)

Post by TOM » 27 Apr 2015, 03:29

Hi Everyone

I'm using an iMac as main-system and planning to add another "Gaming-Rig", as the Mac is really no gaming machine is not being able to play GTA V properly does hurt :]

I'd like to get an Acer Predator XB270HUbprz, 27" with G-Sync but I found out that G-Sync does limit the Ports to one display-port only.

I'd really like to use the Acer as secondary display, when the gaming-rig is turned off for working, but I can't find a proper way to put a display on it, without re-plugging every time.... is there a proper way with some kind of adapters/cables/switches/bridges/younameit to get the Acer working as Gaming-Rig display AND as 2nd display for the iMac (Thunderbold / Mini-Displayport) without replugging every time?

I found this, but it caps at 60 Hz (http://www.siig.com/it-products/kvms/sw ... witch.html)

So the goal is to use the G-Sync display with 144Hz @ Windows and 60Hz/1440p at secondary display for the iMac

PS: At first I've checked if I can get the gaming-Rig to use the iMac display as 2nd screen... but now way... this doesn't work with my 2010 iMac :(

if you have any tips, I'd appreciate it

thanks in advance
TOM

lexlazootin

Re: iMac & G-Sync Monitor (external/2nd Display)

Post by lexlazootin » 27 Apr 2015, 05:21

There are switchers that do 120hz but they are expensive, Only support 1080p 120hz and who knows if they work with Gsync.

Bl, I don't think there is much you can do. :(

TOM

Post by TOM » 28 Apr 2015, 05:57

As far as my research is correct, there is no KVM-Switch supporting 144 Hz @ 1440p - seems like not even the high-end KVM-Switches (which cost nearly the same as the expensive monitor itself) ?

Does anyone have a setup running like that - I mean a Display-Port KVM-Switch and G-Sync monitor to confirm?

Alternative question

What about getting the ASUS MG279Q, 27" (also 1440p @ 144 hz IPS panel) BUT without G-Sync. This monitor has other Inputs.. so I would trade the G-Sync feature for being able to display content from my iMac.

Is G-Sync worth it, or does the 144Hz candy the eyes fairly enough? I can't find a proper solution to run a G-Sync display from two machines :(

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 28 Apr 2015, 09:05

Mate... Gsync is mind blowing good, I don't think I could game without it. I don't even think you will even mind re plugging your cable in everytime to get that sweetness. :)

If you do get it, you wont regret it ;)