Recommended settings for SLI + G-Sync?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Cooknn

Recommended settings for SLI + G-Sync?

Post by Cooknn » 15 Aug 2015, 07:55

I'm currently testing Alternate Frame Rendering 2 for SLI rendering mode. I'm also using Single Display performance mode and Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames at 3 (as well as Virtual Pre-Rendered Frames).

Are these settings good for G-Sync? Specifically AFR2. I'm concerned that maybe I should stick with NVIDIA Recommended (SLI) as most of the suggestions I find for AFR2 are not for G-Sync systems :geek:
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz • 2 * ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II • Asus VG248QE Monitor w/ G-SYNC • Corsair Obsidian 450D Case • Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 Mobo • Corsair H100i CPU Cooler • 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro SDRAM • Windows 8.1 64-bit

lexlazootin

Re: Recommended settings for SLI + G-Sync?

Post by lexlazootin » 15 Aug 2015, 09:05

Is Gsync doing it's job and not tearing your content? Nvidia are pretty savy at giving you the best performance for your system as defaults in your driver. probably be best to let your driver use the defaults.

Cooknn

Post by Cooknn » 15 Aug 2015, 10:51

No tearing at all, but I get an occasional frame drop which can be perceived as a stutter. Could just be a timing issue in my racing game. I just want to maximize my options and don't want to break G-Sync by turning on something I shouldn't. Which brings up another point. NVIDIA obviously knows I have G-Sync, but their driver turns on V-Sync. I turn it off...
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz • 2 * ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II • Asus VG248QE Monitor w/ G-SYNC • Corsair Obsidian 450D Case • Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 Mobo • Corsair H100i CPU Cooler • 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro SDRAM • Windows 8.1 64-bit

Luck100

Post by Luck100 » 17 Aug 2015, 05:53

On the newest NVidia drivers, the v-sync setting in NVCP works differently when G-sync is enabled: v-sync will only activate when your framerate exceeds your monitor's max refresh rate. If you set v-sync off with G-sync on, then you will get tearing when your framerate exceeds the monitor's max refresh rate.

On older drivers, you had no choice: with G-sync on, v-sync would be force when framerate was higher than the monitor max refresh rate. Now you have a choice, but the meaning of the options can be a little confusing.

Cooknn

Post by Cooknn » 18 Aug 2015, 18:07

lexlazootin wrote:...Nvidia are pretty savy at giving you the best performance for your system as defaults in your driver. Probably be best to let your driver use the defaults.
After much more testing I have to say that with my hardware Alternate Frame Rendering 2 gives me a smoother G-Sync experience on my SLI system. I was afraid that it might break G-Sync, but my eyes tell me otherwise :geek:
Luck100 wrote:On the newest NVidia drivers, the v-sync setting in NVCP works differently when G-sync is enabled: v-sync will only activate when your framerate exceeds your monitor's max refresh rate. If you set v-sync off with G-sync on, then you will get tearing when your framerate exceeds the monitor's max refresh rate.
Thanks for that information. Makes sense, but with my tendency to go Ultra across the board I will rarely see beyond 144fps so I think I'll just leave it off.

Bishi

Post by Bishi » 01 Sep 2015, 10:22

You can still get some stutter / lag when GSYNC hits max FPS. Limit your frames to 135