G-Sync Micro-Freezes

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
eegee

G-Sync Micro-Freezes

Post by eegee » 28 Dec 2015, 07:23

My setup:
- Alienware 18 with 2 Nvidia GTX 880M SLI
- Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q
- Nvidia Gforce Driver Version 361.43
- Windows 10 64bit

My Problem:
Especially since my switch to Windows 10 I've seen some micro freezes during gameplay. I read on this forum that it seems to be a SLI problem in combination with G-Sync. So I waited for newer drivers in hope it would get better.

Yesterday I realized, that the mico freezes happen less often but take longer. E.g. every 5-10 sec for 250-750ms (that’s not measured but I think quite accurate) before they happened about every 3-5 sec for less than 250ms (just long enough to be felt)

As I'm usually playing non Shooter games, it’s not so bad, but sometimes very annoying - and of course I really get angry with it when playing WoT.

Has anybody an idea what is happening here? (It definitely got worse when I switched to windows 10)
Has anybody seen these problems?
Has anybody a solution or an idea how to solve this problem?

Maybe this problem is not a GPU/Display problem but has a different "source"?
(CPU has no Termal Throtteling, All Drivers are updated, No relevant event errors, ping usually below 30ms ...)

Any suggestions would be nice!
Thanks

eegee

lexlazootin

Re: G-Sync Micro-Freezes

Post by lexlazootin » 28 Dec 2015, 08:41

It's pretty impossible to tell without seeing the computer in person, but it sounds like it might be some rouge software in the background misbehaving, maybe a antivirus or something?

Also is it possible to disable one of the gpus and see if it still happens?

Best bet might be too just disable everything in the startup tab in task manager.

eegee

Post by eegee » 28 Dec 2015, 11:00

I gonna try to disable SLI and later all non essential services. don't know why i didn't think of that.
allways the obvious that eludes me.

I'll report back.

eegee

Post by eegee » 28 Dec 2015, 18:41

It has been - all the time - Kaspersky Antivirus.
I "paused" K. and the micro freezes are gone.

Would be interesting to know, how it micro freezes the pc.
Never thought a program could freeze a modern 4 core pc.

Thanks

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 28 Dec 2015, 21:30

Yeah, generally disabling the anti-virus while you're gaming is a good idea. It doesn't do anything useful anyway while you game. Keep it enabled only when you download/install stuff or browse the internet. Generally, when you're not playing a game.

As to why there can be freezes, it's sometimes on purpose. The anti-virus might need to freeze processes to prevent them from running so that it can check the code that's running. If the code runs before it can be checked, it would be too late.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.