Smooth scrolling causes horizontal lines/flickering

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
majnu

Smooth scrolling causes horizontal lines/flickering

Post by majnu » 30 Dec 2015, 16:48

Hi

I have a Dell S2716DG. I've noticed horizontal flickering lines on the screen whilst browsing. I've only just determined what "may" be the cause 5 mins ago. I believe it is smooth scrolling in Chrome ( chrome://flags/ > Smooth Scrolling Windows, Linux - Enable). IE, Firefox and Vivaldi all show the same problem.

Whilst using my mouse's scroll wheel and I go up and down very fast on a forum like overclockers uk or overclock.net I can see the lines as shown in the video below. (Note that my response time is set to Normal and not Fast on the OSD).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwy6Q5Tf9M0

I've had a gaming friend also replicate the problem on his ROG swift. Therefore is there a solution to this please?

I did start an RMA in the morning with Dell and due to Holidays they will not proceed until Monday therefore I'd love to know 100% that the monitor isn't the cause and whether there is a solution for smooth scrolling.

Thanks

majnu

Re: Smooth scrolling causes horizontal lines/flickering

Post by majnu » 16 Jan 2016, 12:25

Guess there is no fix for this then judging by the response

Glide

Post by Glide » 16 Jan 2016, 12:49

I disable smooth scrolling and have my mouse set to scroll one page at a time.
LCDs can't handle single pixel width lines without them flickering in motion.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 16 Jan 2016, 16:22

Glide wrote:I disable smooth scrolling and have my mouse set to scroll one page at a time.
Works fine on mine.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

majnu

Post by majnu » 18 Jan 2016, 17:41

RealNC wrote:
Glide wrote:I disable smooth scrolling and have my mouse set to scroll one page at a time.
Works fine on mine.
hi what monitor do you have?
Have you seen the video I posted? It's quite prevalent on the Dell and I had a mate with a ROG swift try it on his TN panel and it showed the same problem.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 19 Jan 2016, 06:55

majnu wrote:
RealNC wrote:
Works fine on mine.
hi what monitor do you have?
Have you seen the video I posted? It's quite prevalent on the Dell and I had a mate with a ROG swift try it on his TN panel and it showed the same problem.
I'm on an old 60Hz Samsung XL2370. I don't see any flickering lines like in your video.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.