No Longer Need To Cap Fps With Rivatuner?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
iPunchTrolls

No Longer Need To Cap Fps With Rivatuner?

Post by iPunchTrolls » 25 Jan 2016, 01:03

I was just reading this article by Nvidia

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articl ... ven-better

I saw this "For enthusiasts, we’ve included a new advanced control option that enables G-SYNC to be disabled when the frame rate of a game exceeds the maximum refresh rate of the G-SYNC monitor. For instance, if your frame rate can reach 250 on a 144Hz monitor, the new option will disable G-SYNC once you exceed 144 frames per second. Doing so will disable G-SYNCs goodness and reintroduce tearing, which G-SYNC eliminates, but it will improve input latency ever so slightly in games that require lighting fast reactions.

To use this new mode, set “Vertical sync” to “Off” on a global or per-game basis in the “Manage 3D settings” section of the NVIDIA Control Panel. When your frame rate exceeds your monitor’s rated G-SYNC refresh rate, for example 144Hz, G-SYNC will be disabled."

Does this mean you no longer need to limit fps with programs like rivatuner?
I wanted to ask everyone here if I didn't just read this wrong.
I feel this would be good with games like league of legends or any game that is easy to run and you get well over 144fps.
Wondering if this still works if you cap the fps in game to 144 or not.
Anyone with any experience on this feel free to comment and help out c:

lexlazootin

Re: No Longer Need To Cap Fps With Rivatuner?

Post by lexlazootin » 25 Jan 2016, 03:31

if you want no tears, cap your fps below refreshrate.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 25 Jan 2016, 10:49

As the article says, this will disable gsync. Do you want gsync or not? If you want it, then you need to frame cap. If you don't, then don't frame cap.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

dmbr

Post by dmbr » 29 Jan 2016, 12:16

Assuming it will reliably turn G-Sync back on with no problems when frames drop back below the refresh rate, competitive shooter players should favor this new option of disabling G-Sync when FPS excedes the refresh rate to the "old" method of capping FPS below the refresh rate.

5 or 10 (depending on your preferred fps cap) more display refreshes per second is nice, as is the reduced input lag and improved hit registration that more frames bring. Tearing does not present much of a problem to aim; G-Sync is mostly beneficial in shooters for resolving microstutter.

I'm going to try this out in TF2 :)