Still nervous to install [SLI issue]

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Calleh

Re: Still nervous to install

Post by Calleh » 30 Jan 2014, 01:40

I got my Asus-monitor with G-sync pre-installed this monday. Everything went smooth installing, but I do too also have a white/grey light clouding effect in the middle of the screen close to upper edge of the screen. It's more noticable on darker backgrounds ofcourse. Anything one can do correct this or is this common?

Shabutie

Post by Shabutie » 30 Jan 2014, 08:13

Here are my results.

Now all of this involved no thorough testing as you did with the latency but more so feel of the games.

CS:GO with SLI disabled did feel a bit better. I found myself having to reload the game and check the difference between nosync and gsync. I did a blind test with a friend, I was able to correctly guess which one was nosync each time (5/5), but it wasn't easy. I still say this is because any increase in input delay would be noticeable by me based on the hours I have played in that game. Anyone that had not put in the hours would be very happy with the results.

Splinter Cell Blacklist Didn't want to work well in SLI, but with single card did manage to iron out a stutter or two. This wasn't that impressive for the price tag, but I could still tell when Gsync was on vs off. This was also hurt by the fact that I'm used to the game at 120FPS+ so seeing it at 75-80 was just not as smooth to me, even with gsync.

Loadout - played the same, game only uses 1 card anyways. Gsync did remove maybe a stutter or two, but I had to actively switch between them to try and find the difference

Battlefield 4 - Stutters were gone, and while I could see the effect of gsync at the lower Frame Rate of 60-70 in the Single Player mode (Ultra) it wasn't as smooth as the 120+ I usually would get in single player or the 144 constant in multi-player with SLI.

I would definitely say there are still serious SLI issues that need to be worked out, and as someone who spent a lot on SLI it was sad to see. I understand they will work on it, but thinking of when Battlefield 4 (when it wasn't crashing) had a horrible micro stutter like older SLI setups would have. This made me very weary of the implementation of the technology with dual cards. So for the time I reverted back to the original monitor and packaged up the Gsync for return. I'm just not happy with the results at this point, and apparently don't have what it takes to be an early adopter for my setup. I do wish all of you the best with yours and I'm glad you are having better experiences.

One last thing, Chief, you do mention about fixing the backlight bleed on the edge. I do feel this was from me putting the shell back on the monitor too hard, maybe? It definitely wasn't there before, and now I can't take my eyes off of it when the screen goes dark. Are there any guides to what you were explaining with tape or the screws? That would save me from buying a new monitor in the near future. (Yes I know that is crazy for a little backlight bleeding, but I get hyper obsessive over it).

I'm thinking the bleed you are talking about would be one seen through the edge of the screen, where mine seems to almost create a 1/4" frame around it where it is clearly brighter now. Same effect as if you were to squeeze your bezel just a little on a dark screen and see some bright spots for the moment. If this is fixable in any way, I'll tape the crap out of it inside :).

Great community, seriously, best wishes for you all.

Calleh

Post by Calleh » 30 Jan 2014, 08:54

Shabutie wrote:
I'm thinking the bleed you are talking about would be one seen through the edge of the screen, where mine seems to almost create a 1/4" frame around it where it is clearly brighter now. Same effect as if you were to squeeze your bezel just a little on a dark screen and see some bright spots for the moment. If this is fixable in any way, I'll tape the crap out of it inside :).
Mine looks like a rectangular square across the upper middle of the screen with a fog-like color when looking at it with a black background. Gonna get a call from a technician at Nvidia in a couple of hours, hopefully it can be sorted without me having to send everything back! :-)

Shabutie

Post by Shabutie » 30 Jan 2014, 09:52

Please post if you find out anything that could be of use :).

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Jan 2014, 12:47

Shabutie wrote:Here are my results.
Thank you so much for the SLI versus non-SLI comparision. Even if this was a frustrating experience, you've done me (and this community) a huge favour to get your impressions of SLI versus non-SLI. I have never tested SLI with GSYNC, so I am unaware of SLI behavior with GSYNC, but do know a few people commenting on SLI behaviors.

Yours is currently the first most detailed comparison of SLI versus non-SLI.

Your CS:GO, Loadout, Splinter Cell, and Battlefield 4 result is very interesting! Hopefully NVIDIA improves their SLI profiles & drivers to be more GSYNC+SLI friendly, it sounds like it's probably an area of intensive focus that NVIDIA is probably needing/currently doing right now. I've already sent my NVIDIA contact to give them a heads up on these threads, so they have additional data.

Clearly, it does seem like GSYNC is working splendidly in some games for single-card owners (i.e. the upgrade feels much bigger for single card users) but that the benefits may not currently be as huge for SLI users. Eventually GSYNC will be mature, cheaper, widespread (More than 6 brands have signed up for this tech), and the SLI issues would be ironed out (by the game vendors & by NVIDIA).

We can't thank you enough for at least doing a comparison of SLI versus non-SLI. Thanks!

It's also worth noting that if you were a user of LightBoost, the use of the improved color quality of ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur) is actually worth the cost of G-SYNC to some people even when not using G-SYNC. However, I know not everyone uses strobing.
Shabutie wrote:One last thing, Chief, you do mention about fixing the backlight bleed on the edge. I do feel this was from me putting the shell back on the monitor too hard, maybe? It definitely wasn't there before, and now I can't take my eyes off of it when the screen goes dark. Are there any guides to what you were explaining with tape or the screws? That would save me from buying a new monitor in the near future. (Yes I know that is crazy for a little backlight bleeding, but I get hyper obsessive over it).
For mechanically-induced backlight bleed (e.g. panel tension changes, etc), the easiest way to fix this is to (temporarily) de-bezel your monitor and begin pressing on the metal edges in various directions, to see where the light bleed changes while displaying a black screen. Worsening/betterment? Press the corners very gently and uniformly with a big area (e.g. palm of hand, piece of microfiber cloth); and see how the surrounding bleed changes. People like Vega has extensive experience taking apart the monitor, and may be able to chime in more, as he has more experience than I do in debezelled monitors and probably backlight bleed. There are several howto's on the Net but some of them are monitor specific (e.g. DELL) but I don't see any for recent 120Hz panels. This would be a useful separate thread in General.
Shabutie wrote:Great community, seriously, best wishes for you all.
Thanks very much!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Shabutie

Re: Still nervous to install [SLI issue]

Post by Shabutie » 30 Jan 2014, 13:39

No worries, I just want to give assistance where I can. It didn't work out to be what I wanted right now, but maybe down the line (when some 1440p/IPS verisons come out) I'll check it out again.

I'll play around with the monitor and see if I can get something going. It does look like the monitor is just tighter around the edge now (just from a visual aspect). Worst case scenario I will sell the monitor to someone at a steep discount and buy a new one. The bleed probably wouldn't bother 99% of people, but it's all I see on darker colors.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 30 Jan 2014, 14:32

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Your CS:GO, Loadout, Splinter Cell, and Battlefield 4 result is very interesting! Hopefully NVIDIA improves their SLI profiles & drivers to be more GSYNC+SLI friendly, it sounds like it's probably an area of intensive focus that NVIDIA is probably needing/currently doing right now. I've already sent my NVIDIA contact to give them a heads up on these threads, so they have additional data.
Hopefully they can improve the situation, but I have serious doubts that nVidia will ever be able to provide performance as smooth as a single card with SLI on G-sync. Multiple GPU setups have always had frame pacing/microstutter issues and G-sync just makes that more visible. I know if every game felt like Max Payne 3 in DX11 with G-sync enabled, I'd be very disappointed too.