Still nervous to install [SLI issue]

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Nealb90

Re: Still nervous to install

Post by Nealb90 » 29 Jan 2014, 00:33

how do you access the source engine?

Shabutie

Post by Shabutie » 29 Jan 2014, 00:47

Through console commands. ~ FPS_Max for CS:GO.

Also, does anyone else have the really bright border around their monitor now? I swear this never existed before I did this upgrade. It's as if the backglow just amplified for only those spots. It's figuratively a frame of light.

Nealb90

Post by Nealb90 » 29 Jan 2014, 00:53

I have a litte bit of backlight bleed. Nothing that's really noticeable though... I do feel like it's a bit more than it used to be.

nimbulan

Post by nimbulan » 29 Jan 2014, 01:21

I have noticed the same, I swear there was no backlight bleed at all before the upgrade and now there is some. It may just be a side affect of having disassembled the monitor but it's not really noticable in games.

I tried Crysis Warhead. The game always sets the video mode to 60 Hz, but I was able to override it with the nVidia control panel (have to use the Crysis profile, not the Crysis Warhead profile) and got a nice smooth 50~90fps with occasional frame drops. (DX9 mode, won't even launch in DX10 which is nothing new.)

You should try the new beta driver that was released today. It has some SLI improvements, especially for G-sync operation.
Last edited by nimbulan on 29 Jan 2014, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Jan 2014, 01:29

Shabutie wrote:It does say Gsync mode. Still runs poorly for me on any settings now.

I tried Battlefield 4 as well (with SLI). It ran for 5 minutes with more stutter than I have ever seen while playing the game before. Then it crashed, probably due to the SLI. THis caused no games to run on my computer until I restarted.

I'm getting more upset by the minute with this thing. I really need to learn to quit while I'm ahead. Earlier today my setup worked great and I was happy. Now I just feel like I dumped money out the window to hurt my PC. I never should have upgraded. This was a huge mistake.
- Wait till SLI issues get fixed with new drivers, or
- temporarily remove one card, to test out GSYNC, so you can become a bit excited again

It might be possible you are witnessing real input lag (that did not show up in my tests) caused by GSYNC+SLI, so would you be willing to do the community a huge favour and compare GSYNC behaviour to single-card? I know it is a PITA, but this will help NVIDIA as I know they are paying attention to these forums now, to improve their drivers for the GSYNC product.

Or for now, treat your display as a regular 144hz display (VSYNC OFF) for now, till newer drivers.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

shadman

Post by shadman » 29 Jan 2014, 04:52

Shabutie wrote:This technology is under developed.
I would say more along the lines of "The software is buggy for certain instances, and the technology coming from Nvidia is still in its early stages for consumers". I do understand that unfortunately, given the hype and craze via word of mouth and the expected results vs the actual results you are getting, I'd be unhappy as well. Like another poster said, there were new Beta drivers out recently that I didn't notice you said you installed, and also Chief mentioned trying out one card temporarily.

Just hang in there.

Shabutie

Post by Shabutie » 29 Jan 2014, 07:36

All of my tests were done with the new beta drivers. I installed them right after putting gsync in.

I'll remove the second card tonight and give it a whirl. I did most of my testing with everything set to Single Card though, so unless merely the presence of another card is what causes these things, it should have been covered already.

I know I came across a bit, flustered, to say the least. I just have a history of finally getting things where I want them, only to make a change that is supposed to be beneficial and becoming very unhappy and having less money because of it. Before making the change I kept telling myself I didn't need it because everything was fine. That and it was late and I was very tired and bummed out.

Also, I understand I can just use vsync off and treat it as I did before, I'm simply bummed because of how the light bleeds in now. I know it is only on dark screens, but it just seems weird that it didn't happen before but the new board is causing it? I hope it wasn't something to do with having the case open.

If testing tonight doesn't help, I may switch back. Does anyone know the importance of that metal post in the monitor for the old setup?

Nealb90

Post by Nealb90 » 29 Jan 2014, 10:32

I think the metal post was to mildly support the the frame so I really don't think you need it. Plus the old board was 2 pieces connected by some wires so there's nothing in the way of reinstalling it. Also, everything is held in by screws so it won't be going anywhere. If you prefer to take the GSYNC board out and put the old board back in its completely doable.

Shabutie

Post by Shabutie » 29 Jan 2014, 10:36

I'll do some testing to help the community (and any who have similar issues in the future, first).

I do want it to work for me, but I am just having poor results. At work now, so I can't test until later tonight. But I will post some results on

A) Lag in CS:GO (at least what I'm feeling as such) - I also have a theory on this. While the mouse does feel very quick, I feel like it is lacking precision. It's hard to explain, but I feel like it isn't as snappy with gsync. I'm not a pro or anything, but I do play in the higher ranks of CS:GO. That quick shot around a corner is make or break, and I feel like I was over compensating the aim each time. When I switched back, my target locations were back on track.
B) Games running Single Card, do I still get the issues of crashing and stuttering
C) If I do revert, if the light bleeding issue gets resolved.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Jan 2014, 19:14

Light bleeding issue, if it is mechanically related, is a function of jiggling the panel, retightening/loosening screws, and/or putting some tape along the edges in the right places. It can sometimes be manually fixed this way.

Thinking: I have not currently tested if GSYNC adds extra input lag to SLI setups. I should get myself either a second 680 or a second Titan, and test a paired setup. The GSYNC latency behaviors might be different in a SLI configuration.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!