Gsync install saga [fixed!]

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Ptolmy

Gsync install saga [fixed!]

Post by Ptolmy » 30 Jan 2014, 19:18

Hello all!
Great website here, been lurking around for awhile and have been really enjoying the lighboost on my Asus vg24.
I aso been following the whole gsync thing and even though I find the diy kit pretty expensive, I thought I'd secure one while they're still available. The kit arrived and I installed it today, carefully following the instructions and checking out the video - some of the wire harnesses are very challenging to remove! I actually broke the plastic on two of them, if you've installed the kit you'll know which ones. Luckily they are on the old board that you remove, so it didn't affect the install. I noticed that they even broke the same ones in the instructional video, guess they edited out that scene!
Anyways, I got everything put together and turned on the monitor and.. disaster!:
blublack.jpg
blublack.jpg (47.67 KiB) Viewed 3210 times
There was a blue tint to half of the screen!
It was still there while booting into windows, but it was semi-transparent. Many possibilities started rushing through my head - was it because I was running sli? No couldn't be - that would be every second scanline.. that tricky blue ribbon cable maybe..?
I took the monitor apart again (was a lot easier the second time!) and re-sat all of the harnesses, I tried it again and same thing.. the cursed blue tint!
I opened everything up one last time, just to assure myself that there was nothing else that I could do. I started examing the board a little closer and lo and behold I found this!:
sloppysolder.jpg
sloppysolder.jpg (56.71 KiB) Viewed 3210 times
Can you see it?
A sloppy string of solder was making contact between two pins, I tested continuity and yep they were bridged!
I popped off the string with the included Nvidia pry-tool/ solder-remover and all was well!
If any Nvidians are reading this - maybe would be a good idea to test these out before shipping?
Hopefully this may help someone..

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Gsync install saga [fixed!]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Jan 2014, 21:28

Ptolmy, welcome to Blur Busters:
Ptolmy wrote:Hello all!
Great website here, been lurking around for awhile and have been really enjoying the lighboost on my Asus vg24.
Thanks for the compliment!
Ptolmy wrote:A sloppy string of solder was making contact between two pins, I tested continuity and yep they were bridged!
Wow, glad you were able to figure this out -- this common "solder bridge" defect isn't something that most users would notice.

Thank you very much for making this post! This does a service to the community, knowing you fixed an issue with the DIY kit. Obviously, with the shipping monitors, this will be less of an issue as they get a chance to test the monitors completely assembled, while with the DIY kits, it's much harder to pre-test the boards before shipping them out.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Ptolmy

Re: Gsync install saga [fixed!]

Post by Ptolmy » 31 Jan 2014, 17:58

Ya I feel really lucky that I seen the issue!
I understand that this kit is a low-run, niche product. I'm really surprised that Nvidia is even making it available at all actually - that's why I felt I had to jump on it while they're still available!
I'm running sli 670's and am having no problems at all, I have 2 other monitors plugged into the cards as well and no issues.
I mostly play battlefield4, still testing it out but I'll post up some fps numbers soon.