G-Sync and Cloned Displays

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Boildown

Re: G-Sync and Cloned Displays

Post by Boildown » 14 Nov 2014, 14:48

Cinder wrote:I have a 980 and the Asus PG278Q G-Sync monitor. I have to lower my resolution to 1080p to clone my display over to the Avermedia card I have and G-Sync seems to work with cloning. At least my FPS in Battlefield 4 stays ~144, as it does without cloning the display and the game still feels smooth.

Apparently capture card options are pretty limited when you have a G-Sync display :roll: Only option I can think of is the Datapath DVI-DL and cloning the G-Sync display over to it...

I'm waiting on the next gen Nvidia cards, be it 980Ti or Titan or whatever they decide to call it and get two of those. I read somewhere that you can't clone displays when using SLI, so that might be show stopper for the only capture card option.
Really? That's awesome. Does the cloned video look normal when the framerate is less than 144 and the G-Sync is kicking in?

And if you'll check my computer specs: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown, the DVI-DL is precisely the capture card I'm using now. :)

Mdubz

Post by Mdubz » 28 Feb 2015, 00:13

Any more updates on streaming while fully utilizing G-Sync? If it's possible, what would be the optimal setup using OBS?

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 28 Feb 2015, 19:33

Mdubz wrote:Any more updates on streaming while fully utilizing G-Sync? If it's possible, what would be the optimal setup using OBS?
If you want to avoid judder on the stream, you should cap your framerate(in game) at a multiple of your stream's framerate. The stream's framerate should either be 30 or 60fps, because most viewers have 60hz monitors. If your framerate falls below the cap, your stream would see some sync judder, but you would not.

Caveat: I'm assuming OBS works at same time as g-sync, I haven't actually tried it.

LocutusEstBorg

Post by LocutusEstBorg » 07 Sep 2015, 15:46

Cloning 144 Hz + 60 Hz no longer works properly in Windows 10. The 144 Hz display desktop animations lag and run at 60 fps (even though the monitor is running at 144 Hz). It used to work in Windows 8.1.