Page 1 of 2

Asus VG248QE G-Sync .icc profile [download!]

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 00:56
by YukonTrooper
For any G-Sync users that want an .icc profile, here you go. Calibration is for 90cd/m2 @ 100Hz via ColorMunki Display. You can use the profile with other brightness/contrast settings than below, but the result won't be as accurate (especially contrast adjustments). I'll make sure to add a 144Hz profile as well, but if you want a specific light output then let me know.

Image

Re: Asus VG248QE G-Sync .icc profile [download!]

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 01:55
by Chief Blur Buster
YukonTrooper wrote:For any G-Sync users that want an .icc profile, here you go. Calibration is for 90cd/m2 @ 100Hz via ColorMunki Display. You can use the profile with other brightness/contrast settings than below, but the result won't be as accurate (especially contrast adjustments). I'll make sure to add a 144Hz profile as well, but if you want a specific light output then let me know.

Thanks for doing this!
The 144Hz would be useful. 100Hz has better color than 120Hz and 144Hz, so this might be a good surfing .icc profile.

I wish there was a much easier way to automatically switch .icc files everytime the refresh rate changes. I think this is something that is possible to do programmatically, creating a utility.

Re: Asus VG248QE G-Sync .icc profile [download!]

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 21:30
by annisman
Yes, please provide us with a 144hz calibrated icc profile ! Much thanks !

Re: Asus VG248QE G-Sync .icc profile [download!]

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 02:10
by spacediver
I don't understand how you guys claim to be using icc profiles. How exactly are you "implementing" them?

Re: Asus VG248QE G-Sync .icc profile [download!]

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 02:17
by orik
spacediver wrote:I don't understand how you guys claim to be using icc profiles. How exactly are you "implementing" them?



In Windows? Screen Resolution -> Advance Display Settings -> Colour Management

Re: Asus VG248QE G-Sync .icc profile [download!]

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 02:44
by spacediver
Ok, but there are a couple things.

ICC profiles characterize a display. You need a color aware application such as adobe lightroom that uses that profile to remap the colors of the display into a desired mapping. ICC profiles generally do not contain information that instructs a display how to render colors.

The exception to this is the recently introduced VCGT tag (video card graphics table), which is essentially a 1 D LUT (look up table). With this, you can alter the gamma and white balance of the display, but as far as I'm aware, you need an application to load in the information in this tag (not to mention that the creation of the ICC profile will have to include this tag). I don't think windows does it by itself (though I could be wrong).

The way to test for sure is to load in your ICC profile and see whether the colors actually do change on your display. You should be able to notice immediately.

Re: Asus VG248QE G-Sync .icc profile [download!]

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 18:09
by ZmillA
What does this do? Does it make the picture look better on the monitor?

If this gives any improvement I want to use it, just looking for some more info is all.

Re: Asus VG248QE G-Sync .icc profile [download!]

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 18:59
by spacediver
So, has anyone actually been able to "load in" an ICC profile and see an immediate noticeable difference?

Re: Asus VG248QE G-Sync .icc profile [download!]

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 19:58
by PiERiT
spacediver wrote:So, has anyone actually been able to "load in" an ICC profile and see an immediate noticeable difference?


I've been using the ICC from the pcmonitors.info review for quite some time. There is a noticeable difference, at least on the Windows desktop.

My worry is that some games don't support it, and I've no way of knowing when they don't.

Re: Asus VG248QE G-Sync .icc profile [download!]

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 20:01
by spacediver
PiERiT wrote:
I've been using the ICC from the pcmonitors.info review for quite some time. There is a noticeable difference, at least on the Windows desktop.


Did the colors change immediately? Or did you reboot, and then think you saw a slight difference?

PiERiT wrote:
My worry is that some games don't support it, and I've no way of knowing when they don't.


No games, as far as I know, support color management. They will, however, use the 1d LUT info, so long as they don't overwrite it.