[Thread Superseded] G-Sync 101 w/Chart (WIP)

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
drmcninja

Re: G-Sync 101 w/Chart (WIP)

Post by drmcninja » 30 May 2017, 22:54

jorimt wrote:2. Do you have one or more overlays active, like ShadowPlay?
The Nvidia overlay is on when I press Alt+Z.
3. What background programs do you have running on a regular basis?
Sometimes a browser window (Chrome), usually Discord and/or Spotify. I've disabled hardware acceleration in both Discord and Spotify. HWMonitor as well.
4. Do you have one or all of the "Game bar," "Game DVR," and/or "Game Mode" settings active in Windows Settings > Gaming?
Game Mode is on, Game Bar is off
5. Do you have "Disable fullscreen optimizations" checked or unchecked in the Compatibility tab of the Overwatch game .exe?
Unchecked.

I had that checked in my old system after someone on Reddit recommended it. I noticed no difference. What does it do?
6. Are your graphics drivers up-to-date, and do you ever clean install them with DDU?
It's a new system so they were just installed fresh for the first time ever about 4 days ago.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 30 May 2017, 23:17

All I can suggest is to try disabling all overlays (including HWMonitor), Game Mode and background programs temporarily, as well as deleting and recreating your Overwatch config file to see if you can get Fast Sync to work without tearing; if it's tearing, it isn't working at all.

You should also try another game you can get high framerates in and see if Fast Sync is working, or still tearing there.

If none of that works, the next best (just as effective) thing is to use NVCP V-SYNC and set the in-game FPS limit 1 below your current refresh rate.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

drmcninja

Post by drmcninja » 30 May 2017, 23:44

Btw, I'm in Lightboost on my monitor. Is Fast Sync incompatible with Lightboost/ULMB perhaps?

drmcninja

Post by drmcninja » 30 May 2017, 23:58

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 31 May 2017, 00:18

drmcninja wrote:Btw, I'm in Lightboost on my monitor. Is Fast Sync incompatible with Lightboost/ULMB perhaps?
No.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 31 May 2017, 05:15

It seems the new Windows update has broken fast sync on many systems. So it's a driver bug, probably.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 31 May 2017, 08:40

Hm, that must be it then.

Perhaps it is a good thing I've been stuck on the 381.78 drivers (for control purposes) since I started testing over a month ago. I've had dozens of high speed videos (and my eyes) to confirm Fast Sync has been working as intended without tearing on my system. The Creators update itself hasn't seem to cause any issues either. So it must be a combination of a more recent Nvidia driver and the Creators update on certain configurations.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

kingbenjie

Post by kingbenjie » 31 May 2017, 11:35

jorimt wrote:@kingbenjie, I am happy to hear my information has been useful to you. I will have much more of it to share when I release the third and final part of my G-SYNC 101 article, hopefully very soon.

The settings you listed are correct for your refresh rate. And no, there is no need to change them in games where the framerate can't reach or exceed the refresh rate.

The FPS limit is only needed when the framerate exceeds the refresh rate, because G-SYNC can no longer adjust the refresh rate to the framerate, and thus reverts to V-SYNC behavior above its range; as long as G-SYNC can adjust the refresh rate to the framerate, you're getting tear-free frames to the display as fast as possible.

In fact, in games where the framerate doesn't come near to reaching your max refresh rate, an FPS limit isn't required at all. But having one in that instance can't really hurt either.

Thanks for the quick response!

Ok so just to reiterate what you suggest (and what I'm mainly concern about) is that leaving V-Sync "On" even though in games where the framerate doesn't reach the monitors max Hz (in my case 165hz) is ok to do with no negative impact?

Btw, I do understand the part of putting a framerate cap on games that don't reach my monitors Hz ceiling is not a big deal, what I'm really after are the side effects, if any, of leaving V-Sync "On" when the in-game framerates do not reach close the the monitors Hz ceiling (provided my example with The Wither 3 running between 80-145 fps, w/Monitor 165hz)

Sorry if I'm been a bit repetitive, I just want to be as clear in my question as possible.

I'm still rockin your suggested settings for the 165hz Monitor. It's like game heaven! Just want to make sure I know the limitations :)

Thanks again!

KB

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 31 May 2017, 11:58

@kingbenjie,

As long as you don't want tearing, yes, you need Nvidia control Panel v-sync "On" with G-SYNC enabled. Ever since they introduced the v-sync setting with G-SYNC, there has been serious confusion and paranoia among the average user.

With v-sync enabled inside the G-SYNC range, it isn't actually v-sync, it's merely an extra function of G-SYNC to compensate for sudden jumps from one frametime to the next, and prevent tearing in those instance. With G-SYNC + V-SYNC "Off," it will tear in the same instances, even inside the G-SYNC range.

G-SYNC + V-SYNC "On," inside its own range, doesn't introduce the traditional full frames of delay like traditional V-SYNC does, but it is true G-SYNC + V-SYNC "Off" can have a slight reduction in delay, because it sometimes tears, which means you get part of one frame earlier than you would with G-SYNC + V-SYNC "On," as said combo can't tear.

G-SYNC + V-SYNC "On" is the fastest any syncing method can delivery single, tear-free frames to the display. Faster delivery would require tearing, which would defeat the point of G-SYNC in the first place.

Again, much more details in my upcoming article, but I hope that is slightly clearer.

kingbenjie

Post by kingbenjie » 31 May 2017, 12:17

jorimt wrote:@kingbenjie,

As long as you don't want tearing, yes, you need Nvidia control Panel V-sync "On" with G-SYNC enabled. Ever since they introduced the v-sync setting with G-SYNC, there has been serious confusion and paranoia among the average user.

With v-sync enabled inside the G-SYNC range, it isn't actually v-sync, it's merely an extra function of G-SYNC to compensate for sudden jumps from one frametime to the next, and prevent tearing in those instance. With G-SYNC + V-SYNC "Off," it will tear in the same instances, even inside the G-SYNC range.

G-SYNC + V-SYNC "On," inside its own range, doesn't introduce the traditional full frames of delay like traditional V-SYNC does, but it is true G-SYNC + V-SYNC "Off" can have a slight reduction in delay, because it sometimes tears, which means you get part of one frame earlier than you would with G-SYNC + V-SYNC "On," as said combo can't tear.

G-SYNC + V-SYNC "On" is the fastest any syncing method can delivery single, tear-free frames to the display. Faster delivery would require tearing, which would defeat the point of G-SYNC in the first place.

Again, much more details in my upcoming article, but I hope that is slightly clearer.

Right on! That clears it up for me :)

Overwatch looks and runs soooo much better now with your 165hz Optimal settings. For the past week or so I was trying to adjust and tweak the hell out of Nvida's settings w/the in-game settings to get rid of all the tearing and I was getting close and almost content with the little bit left but after I found your article and applied those Optimal settings it was like I finally found that "sweet-spot". It's a huge difference between minimal tearing vs no tearing!

The Witcher 3 has been running smooth as well (I was just making sure I wasn't cheating myself out of even better settings with the lower framerate, but you cleared that up for me!). Diablo 3 is a game I have always struggled to find good settings for but with your Optimal settings it runs much better. This game has always had graphics problems so to get it this good is awesome.

Thanks again and I'll be checking back to read the upcoming installment to your article. Cheers!