How accurate is this post?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Haste

Re: How accurate is this post?

Post by Haste » 09 May 2017, 19:18

jorimt wrote:@Haste, part of what you're describing is "judder," something not limited to gaming, but also seen during panning with film sources.

"Stutter" is more commonly described as a sudden interruption in otherwise seamless perceived movement, while "judder" is simply the side effects of a super low continuous framerate's (<24<30 fps) inability to sustain a perfect illusion of movement.
My bad,

I thought judder was reserved for when there is actual uneven motion speed.
For example as a result of a 2:3 pulldown.

This makes me think we really need to determine definitions for all these terms that we can all agree on.

I'm thinking of stutter, judder, freeze, lag, smoothness, fluidity, motion clarity, input lag, latency, ...
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 May 2017, 21:08

Yes, some content is a bit old. We're now writing new content. Doing over a hundred different high speed camera samples for just one upcoming article
salt wrote:Quite sure games don't take into account "time to presentation" and adjust object position based on it - you would need to be psychic to do that.
Apologies. I think it's just a misinterpretation of the chosen words.

Back when I wrote "With video games dynamically adjusting object positions in each frame based on how early/late a frame gets presented;" it was meant to be read as "The timing of frame rendering matches up with the timing of frame display. The object positions are correctly adjusted by the virtue of the timing of the frame rendering.". However, I realize that choice of words does sound predictive.

I've made a reddit reply here:
temp0557,

Apologies, this wording was misunderstood -- this was written in 2013 before the GSYNC preview display arrived for testing.

Back when I wrote "With video games dynamically adjusting object positions in each frame based on how early/late a frame gets presented;" it was meant to be read as "The timing of frame rendering matches up with the timing of frame display. The object positions are correctly adjusted by the virtue of the timing of the frame rendering." But I see what I wrote in the Comments Section, long before the Preview articles, does sound predictive, which it isn't.

However, I realize that choice of words written in 2013 could use clarification. When I wrote that, I didn't mean anything predictive -- it's simply by virtue of frame timing being naturally in sync with display timing -- on variable refresh rate displays. I'll make a minor edit -- that said, I wrote that text in the Comments Section, rather than in a BlurBusters article, and before the Preview.

Since frame times are in sync with display time, they are now in sync with eye tracking positions -- so they don't stutter even if the framerate changes. Object positions now line up with eye tracking positions, it shows up as stutter-less changes in framerate, also as shown in this TestUFO **animation simulation of GSYNC** www.testufo.com/stutter#demo=gsync

...As you can see in the animation (view in a lightly loaded browser/system for flawless animation) -- it is possible framerate can change without adding stutters. This is what GSYNC/FreeSync is able to do (with a proper game engine) -- it's great for highly-variable framerate games where the upper/lower bounds of fluctuating framerates are well within the VRR range (e.g. fluctuating within 30fps-144fps).

The timing of frame rendering matches up with the timing of frame display. The object positions are correctly adjusted by the virtue of the timing of the frame rendering, eliminating the framerate-change-amplified stutters (assuming good game engines doesn't interfere with the proper function of GSYNC/FreeSync).

Chief Blur Buster / Owner of Blur Busters / Inventor of TestUFO
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

salt

Post by salt » 09 May 2017, 23:54

Chief Blur Buster wrote: I've made a reddit reply here:
Not sure where to post now. LOL

Anyway ...

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comme ... s/dhczked/

I really wonder what is going on here ...

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 10 May 2017, 01:01

salt wrote:Anyway ...

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comme ... s/dhczked/

I really wonder what is going on here ...
What do you mean? All I see on that thread is someone asking for clarifications.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 May 2017, 13:17

There will be more pages on Blur Busters coming this year that explains a lot more details about the relationships between GSYNC/VSYNC ON/VSYNC OFF relative to scanout (serialization of an image, left-to-right, top-to-bottom) onto the display cable and onto the panel.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!