GSync + SLI + Shadowplay = 1/2 FPS [even when not recording]

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: GSync + SLI + Shadowplay = 1/2 FPS [even when not record

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Feb 2014, 00:04

GhostOrange wrote:I posted this on the GeForce forums a few minutes ago, but as most of the users seem to be 15yr olds who are only interested in blaming Nvidia rather than troubleshooting, I thought it might be useful to post here:
Around here, we believe in helping all vendors troubleshoot. NVIDIA, BENQ, ASUS, doesn't matter who. There has been various product frustrations from almost every single company at every other time (e.g. surround LightBoost), but I do my best to pull my efforts to try and influence multiple vendors.
-- I am the one who influenced ToastyX to start the Strobelight project, finally making LightBoost easy.
-- Witness BENQ making firmware modifications to XL2720Z because of my publicity of the strobe bug.
-- From multiple sources, it seems that NVIDIA added the "ULMB mode" to GSYNC monitors partially because of LightBoost 2D popularity, thanks in a huge part to Blur Busters.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

GhostOrange

Post by GhostOrange » 24 Feb 2014, 14:31

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
GhostOrange wrote:I posted this on the GeForce forums a few minutes ago, but as most of the users seem to be 15yr olds who are only interested in blaming Nvidia rather than troubleshooting, I thought it might be useful to post here:
Around here, we believe in helping all vendors troubleshoot. NVIDIA, BENQ, ASUS, doesn't matter who. There has been various product frustrations from almost every single company at every other time (e.g. surround LightBoost), but I do my best to pull my efforts to try and influence multiple vendors.
-- I am the one who influenced ToastyX to start the Strobelight project, finally making LightBoost easy.
-- Witness BENQ making firmware modifications to XL2720Z because of my publicity of the strobe bug.
-- From multiple sources, it seems that NVIDIA added the "ULMB mode" to GSYNC monitors partially because of LightBoost 2D popularity, thanks in a huge part to Blur Busters.
Yes, and you've made a HUGE impact, in quite a positive way, so THANKS!

I was able to resolve this issue via an Nvidia Inspector profile. I don't know if this will work for all users, but I am posting a video for this and some BF4 settings tonight and will post links here. It should help a LOT with SLI performance and G-Sync.

GhostOrange

Post by GhostOrange » 25 Feb 2014, 21:42

I've posted a video that may help other users experiencing this issue. This refers to Nvidia Inspector settings for BF4, but it seems to help w/other games, too, if you're using similar SLI and Variable Refresh Rate settings for those other game profiles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox3-hhuv9SI

Solar

Post by Solar » 26 Feb 2014, 17:25

GhostOrange, thank you for sharing that!

I haven't tried the inspector profile tweaks since i use ULMB for BF4, but i added the "GstRender.Thread.MaxProcessorCount 4" line into PROFSAVE_profile and WOW! Makes me wonder why this setting isn't utilized to begin with.

My results using the same location in the test area ([email protected] + GTX670 SLI):

With PROFSAVE_profile tweak - constant 120fps w/ very slight dips to ~119fps after shooting the barrel.

Without PROFSAVE_profile tweak - Starts at 120fps then dips to ~100fps after shooting the barrel, and some dips to ~110 when looking/moving around.

Di9i7a1H8

Post by Di9i7a1H8 » 27 Feb 2014, 00:06

I thought it was a little too good to be true... http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/fo ... 431277/11/ according to that thread. That command you put in the config file just sets everything to low but displays it as whatever you left it as before you edited it, something to that effect anyway :( I was hoping DICE just really sucked at their job and forgot to add that command..or there was some big conspiracy and that was what mantle really was..just that one line lol.

*edit* but it's not low...idk what the hell setting it is, I honestly can't tell the difference between ultra, high, and medium and it's getting late and this crap is driving me insane so...I'm done with it for now. I think I'm going to keep using it till I know otherwise. The command works in battlefield 3 too. With it or without it now I feel like a noob, which I am don't get me wrong, cause I honestly have no clue what it does other than give me like 40-50fps, and I'm too clueless to see a difference graphically.

*update* Ok, so I've looked at it more, and while it is not low it is for sure a little less of a quality. AA is definitely off, and there is less ground clutter, that is all I can spot. Why this command "GstRender.Thread.MaxProcessorCount 4" makes this sort of change when applied is kind of, I wanna say misleading, but it shouldn't be meant for end user use anyway.

Solar

Post by Solar » 28 Feb 2014, 13:16

Well, I can confirm that it looks better and runs smoother without the GstRender tweak and No AA set in game, everything else Ultra. I don't mind the jaggies as long as it's a constant 120fps.

Edit: It also utilizes all 4 cores very well without the tweak.

However, in the case of G-Sync + SLI + Shadowplay + Inspector profile the GstRender setting could be helpful.

schwat

Post by schwat » 14 May 2014, 17:07

So did anything ever come of Nvidia looking into this issue?

damstr

Post by damstr » 26 May 2014, 08:40

I'm using SLI 780's with Shadowplay and have seen no such FPS drop. Granted I only use the 1 min of Shadowplay to record the past minute of gameplay but still my FPS hasn't changed at all. I have Shadowplay running on all my games.

schwat

Post by schwat » 30 Jul 2014, 13:26

Is it just me or does anyone else notice a big improvement with Gsync + SLI + Shadowplay on these new 340.52 drivers? In BF4 I would get a good 10-20 fps drop when recording with Gsync + SLI but now it seems to be only 1-2 fps same as when recording with a single card + gsync. Nothing specifically mentioned about this in driver notes but I guess this may be a side effect of whatever improvements they made to game streaming?