Will somebody help me calibrate my Asus GSync monitor ?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
GhostOrange

Re: Will somebody help me calibrate my Asus GSync monitor ?

Post by GhostOrange » 25 Feb 2014, 21:40

PiERiT wrote:
GhostOrange wrote:So, while the settings for luminance and contrast seem to work, the SoftMCCS color settings actually do nothing. The ICC profile works fine, but I can literally max or min any color and nothing happens.

I think something is missing here.
Are you selecting the User 1 bullet and clicking Apply?

I bought a ColorMunki today. Here are my settings (144hz, D65, 120cd/m), if anyone wants to try them. Though, like Chief said, optimal settings can greatly vary based on the monitor -- just look how different my settings are compared to the previous two in this thread.

Brightness: 0
Contrast: 85
Red: 103
Green: 99
Blue: 90
Profile: http://www.sendspace.com/file/0yqwhx
Yep, just figured out I had to use the User1 setting. My color settings are pretty close to your's, though I can't play games with the brightness at 0. I'll use ULMB at most; this puts the brightness a bit higher than 0.

m1kes1980

Post by m1kes1980 » 15 Apr 2014, 17:05

Hi Gents,

Recently acquired the Asus GSYNC monitor, but still trying desperately to calibrate it. I tried downloading the 144Hz icc profile listed on here by xCaraggbaj, but the link on Rapidshare is dead - does anyone have VG248QE144hzFinal.icm file?

benrbold

Post by benrbold » 22 Nov 2014, 15:48

-Hey guys, I have had my ASUS g-sync monitor now for about 6 months. I did the do it yourself install kit where I swapped the guts of the monitor out for the Nvidia DIY install kit.
Install notes: Pretty ez install. The brown clip that holds the ribbon cable in place to control the buttons was a bit tricky to get opened, but once opened, it was easy to get installed.
Monitor notes: Pretty nice looking monitor all in all. I stuck the large G-Sync logo sticker over the goofy looking #D logo on the base of the monitor. (More about the uselessness of 3D later in the post)
Before I get into color profiles and the numbers, lets take a quick look at my system specs:

AMD FX4350 Quad Core 4.2GHz - Processor
ASUS M5A99FX Pro R.2 – Motherboard
PNY GTX780 OC 3GB DDR5 – Graphics Card
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) dual channel running at 1600mHz – Memory
Antec 750 Watt - Power supply
ASUS VG248 24” panel with G-Sync DIY conversion – Monitor

-The software to adjust the settings in the monitor is called SoftMCCS. It’s a free download and very easy to use. There are a number of posts on how to sue it. It is a free download from:
http://www.entechtaiwan.com/lib/softmccs.shtm

-Refresh Rate:
Before we get to the color settings we need to discuss refresh rates. The refresh rate that the monitor is set at controls the saturation and color depth of the colors. The faster that the refresh rate is set at, the colors become more and more washed out. I initially ran the monitor at 144Hz when I first had it. I thought it looked terrible, and the reason why is that it did. At 144 frames per second, the colors are so washed out that even the darkest blacks look grey and most, if not all, contrast is lost in whites. So then I ran it at 120Hz for the last 5 months or so. I REALLY liked the increase in color depth going from 144 to 120, though I have to say, I was never able to get the colors exactly right. It always appeared washed out. Games looked great … the desktop always seemed greyed and washed out a bit. I color matched an old studio Samsung monitor that I had been using. I had never considered running this monitor at 60Hz… after all it’s a new high refresh rate monitor, right? …. I should run it at 120 for sure.
About 2 weeks ago I tried an experiment. Because the new Sid Meyers Beyond Earth game will not allow you to run a high refresh rate monitor in full screen, I tried dropping the refresh rate of the monitor to 60 HZ to test if that would let me run the game in full screen (the answer: it does not). But once I had switched the monitor to 60Hz, I couldn’t believe my eyes. All of the color depth that I was hoping for in this panel was finally there and blacks are JET black and whites, bright and poppy.
So … I began weighing the differences between 60HZ and 120HZ in a display and what I came up with is:
The choppiness and lagginess that gamers perceive in 60Hz gaming is not a product of the refresh rate. It is a product of the video card not being able to output constant frames out at a steady rate. G-Sync deals with this brilliantly and basically, long story short, if your system can run the game at 30Hz … that’s 30 frames per second, it will look flawless. No tearing, no stuttering, no input lag. Just super smooth games.
So then the big question presents itself: Is the hit in color saturation and color depth that the monitor suffers from when going from 60Hz to 120Hz worth the upgrade in terms of having more frames per second? Ahh yes, and that’s where our conversation turns to 3D. For desktop graphics, 120Hz is completely useless. Even the highest refresh rate moves are 60Hz. (Hollywood standard is 48FPS and the new youtube HFR(high frame rate) standard is 60FPS. Then why the recent TV’s that do 120Hz or even 144hz? …. The answer is 3D. A 3d image (in active 3D like on a computer with powered glasses) is actually 2 concurrent 60Hz images running in alternating frames. The glasses have a lens that is actually a fast refresh rate LCD that puts up a black image on alternating frames only allowing one of the 2 alternating images through to each eye. The viewer is then able to see a different image in each eye. Thus needing a 120Hz refresh rate to accommodate the 60Hz movie shown in 3D.
Ok … what else is 120Hz for? … Gaming in 120Hz is exactly the same gaming experience, but you are getting more frames per second. In my experience, the human eye is not able to detect the difference between 60 images a second or 120 images a second. BUT…. The human eye is able to easily detect the difference between washed out colors and bland looking blacks. >> So then the big question presents itself: Is the hit in color saturation and color depth that the monitor suffers from going from 60Hz to 120Hz worth the upgrade in terms of having more frames per second? << I offer no.
I have gone back to games that I have played in the last few months and marvel at how much better they look in 60Hz than 120Hz. Even the loading screens look better because the blacks are true black …. The colors pop … just on the verge of oversaturation, but they look GREAT! As long as the GPU can keep up more than 30 frames per second, the game is absolutely smooth and perfect looking.
Ok ok … color settings: This monitor can be very bright. The way that it is set out of the box was terrible. But trying to battle the overbrightness with the luminance slider doesn’t work well. It greys out the image a lot. The best way to battle the brightness it to lower the contrast slider to about 55. At 55, the middle greys show up and you see definition in light greys and whites. The lower the luminance a bit to get it where you like the brightness. If you lower the contrast slider less than 50, nothing happens, the contrast slider only appears to work from 51 to 100.
The balances of each color are a bit of preference and may vary slightly from panel to panel, but it’s important that they are not super out of wack. The ones that I list here I have been using now for 2 weeks since I went to 60Hz and it looks amazing. I can really say this is the best looking monitor I have ever owned. I had a studio IPS panel monitor before, but it was really slow and blurry in movement.

Luminance: 82
Contrast: 55
User 1: check
Red Video Gain: 87
Green Video Gain: 80
Blue Video Gain: 60

Refresh Rate of the monitor: 60Hz

Please let me know what you guys think. [email protected]
-Ben

flood

Post by flood » 22 Nov 2014, 17:56

benrbold wrote:In my experience, the human eye is not able to detect the difference between 60 images a second or 120 images a second.
i could tell the difference between 60 and 75hz back when i used a 60hz lcd

on my crt, 150hz vs 85hz in csgo is a pretty big difference, though honestly it's still playable at 85hz... just doesnt feel as good

benrbold

Post by benrbold » 23 Nov 2014, 01:43

-With all due respect, you are comparing an old fast refresh rate monitor and an old video card that did not interface in the same way as G-Sync does. The monitor(panel) has a 1Milasecond refresh rate, so the pixels refresh super fast, this eliminates any smearing and display lag, the G-Sync feature perfectly syncs frames up to the monitor's panel. It is a VERY different experience than a simple video card/Monitor interface.
-With G-Sync, as long as the frames per second are over 30FPS, it's mega smooth. I wish i could show it in a video or something, but it's hard to explain. My system running a game at 55 frames per second looks like an old system that was running a game at 120Hz, except there is no tearing and no input or monitor lag.
-The only difference that I can perceive at all is that when the panel is in 120Hz mode or 144Hz mode, the colors are nowhere near as saturated and deep. It's much easier to notice the shiny, washed out colors than it is to discern the difference between 60 frames a second and 90 frames per second.
-Also as a side bonus of running my monitor like this, when I am running high end new games, my GPU doesn't strain and run as heavy as it would if it was straining to put out more frames per second. The system runs super smooth and cool. Games look buttery smooth :)
-I can record a couple game videos if you'd like me to, it may come out in video, but i doubt it.

-Ben [email protected]

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 24 Nov 2014, 15:40

What is 'a '1 milasecond' refresh rate?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 24 Nov 2014, 16:04

I think he meant 1 ms response time. And that's not even the average response time of the monitor. Varies on what shade of gray and color transition you're at, too. 1ms is "best case." Usually it averages about 10ms of input lag for "1 ms GTG" monitors.