Will somebody help me calibrate my Asus GSync monitor ?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
annisman

Will somebody help me calibrate my Asus GSync monitor ?

Post by annisman » 18 Feb 2014, 17:38

I installed the kit myself, wasn't too hard. But now I need to figure out how to calibrate these colors. I saw someone had an icc profile, but I run 144hz exclusively. Help please ?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Will somebody help me calibrate my Asus GSync monitor ?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Feb 2014, 18:59

annisman wrote:I installed the kit myself, wasn't too hard. But now I need to figure out how to calibrate these colors. I saw someone had an icc profile, but I run 144hz exclusively. Help please ?
144Hz GSYNC or 120Hz ULMB?

One thing I noticed about the GSYNC upgraded VG248QE is that they look much better when viewed center-on, so you want to angle them upwards slightly, or raise the monitor. This reduces the apparent gamma of the monitor and makes things look less washed out.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

annisman

Post by annisman » 18 Feb 2014, 19:26

144hz GSYNC only, I know it's blasphemy around here to say it, but I don't find much added benefit from LightBoost and other strobing effects. And, I have my monitor directly center :)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Feb 2014, 12:24

annisman wrote:144hz GSYNC only, I know it's blasphemy around here to say it, but I don't find much added benefit from LightBoost and other strobing effects. And, I have my monitor directly center :)
It's not blasphemy around here - we recognize there are situations (e.g. Staring stationary at crosshairs, low frame rates, lag, etc) where it really doesn't help. Best benefit from strobe backlights occur when frame rate = strobe rate (most amplified effect during VSYNC ON) and you are tracking eyes on fast moving objects. But not everyone want/can/be able to do those situations.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

GhostOrange

Post by GhostOrange » 19 Feb 2014, 15:27

Honestly, each monitor (even same models) can be a little different, but I simply use the Nvidia color setting in the driver panel and set Digital Vibrance to 70. Works like a charm and looks exactly as it did before the conversion, actually a bit better and more accurate.

That will resolve the "washed-out" look and you can use the color control sliders to adjust from there. I wouldn't suggest adjusting it too much without an on-screen color reference, and IMO mine looks fine at the stock setting.

xCaraggbaj

Post by xCaraggbaj » 20 Feb 2014, 02:34

These settings might work for you. I found it matches my IPS panel(Auria EQ276W glossy) quite well. Since installing G-Sync I only ever run at 144hz, but I found this works well enough at 120Hz and 120Hz ulmb. Prior to G-Sync I was using a separate profile for each one.

SoftMMCS settings

Luminance - 24
Contrast - 60

For these, be sure to select the User 1 option and click Activate
Red - 100
Green - 95
Blue - 84

144Hz ICC profile (from the Hard Forum vg248qe thread)
http://tinyurl.com/k2vg7kc

Tweaking the digital vibrancy up to 60-70% is a good idea as well.

annisman

Post by annisman » 20 Feb 2014, 03:13

so do I need to download and tweak SoftMMCS AND apply the icc profile ?

Also, do I have to save SoftMMCS after making the changes ? Lastly, I have: Downloaded SoftMMCS and done the tweaks you suggested, then gone to Nvidia Control panel and changed digital vibrancy to 70, lastly I used my monitor's OSD to go to 100% brightness because it was way too dark otherwise. Did I do it right ?

Thanks man.

xCaraggbaj

Post by xCaraggbaj » 20 Feb 2014, 03:35

When you close SoftMMCS it will ask if you want to undo your changes, just say no.

Yes, you need to apply the ICC profile in windows. Screen resolution -> advanced settings -> color management

Use whatever brightness you like. Same goes for vibrancy.

annisman

Post by annisman » 20 Feb 2014, 05:01

Thank you so much for the help, it looks gorgeous now !

GhostOrange

Post by GhostOrange » 20 Feb 2014, 15:32

Nice. I'll probably try this, too when I get home. Thanks, xCaraggbaj