Blur Buster's G-SYNC 101 Series Discussion

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
tygeezy

Re: Blur Buster's G-SYNC 101 Series Discussion

Post by tygeezy » 31 Jul 2017, 22:38

I got horizon 3 to work by setting the frame rate yo uncapped in settings. Unfortunately I can't seem to add a custom profile in rtss so I can use that to cap the frame rate. I can set a global frame rate for it but I don't want all my games capped at that fps..

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 31 Jul 2017, 23:53

You should be able to set an RTSS profile for the game, you just have to take ownership over the Program Files > WindowsApps folder first. It is hidden and locked at default.

This page has a step-by-step guide for unlocking the WindowsApps folder:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-8 ... r-location
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

tygeezy

Post by tygeezy » 01 Aug 2017, 01:11

I have access to that folder but the executable itself I don't have access to. I get an error when I try to add the executabl. It did take some work to get access to the folder itself.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 01 Aug 2017, 01:44

tygeezy wrote:I have access to that folder but the executable itself I don't have access to. I get an error when I try to add the executabl. It did take some work to get access to the folder itself.
Launch the game, then press shift + the add profile button in RTSS. It should open a dialog with all currently running 3D apps.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

tygeezy

Post by tygeezy » 01 Aug 2017, 13:28

RealNC wrote:
tygeezy wrote:I have access to that folder but the executable itself I don't have access to. I get an error when I try to add the executabl. It did take some work to get access to the folder itself.
Launch the game, then press shift + the add profile button in RTSS. It should open a dialog with all currently running 3D apps.
I did that too while running Forza and it didn't appear on the list unfortunately.

casinca

Post by casinca » 15 Aug 2017, 19:00

jorimt wrote:This is the official discussion topic for Blur Buster's 4-part "G-SYNC 101" series featured on blurbusters.com:
http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101/

It is a continuation of my now archived original "G-Sync 101 w/Chart (WIP)" topic here:
http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3073

I welcome further input, questions, and discussion regarding the G-SYNC 101 series, or G-SYNC functionality in general...
After reading your tests, it is better with G-sync to cap fps 3 frames below refresh rate,
i was wondering if with non G-sync monitors like most BenQ, would it still matter or uncapped fps would be better ?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 15 Aug 2017, 21:04

@casinca,

I don't know if you missed it in your first read through, but the "G-SYNC vs. V-SYNC w/FPS Limit: So Close, Yet So Far Apart" and "V-SYNC OFF: Beyond the Limits of the Scanout" sections in my "G-SYNC 101: Input Lag & Optimal Settings" article already answered that question.

I'd try to repeat my answer here, but the subject is too multifaceted without knowing what you specifically want to achieve with your configuration. Short answer: it depends.

Please read those sections, if you haven't already, and check back here if you need further clarification.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

casinca

Post by casinca » 16 Aug 2017, 09:27

jorimt wrote:@casinca,

I don't know if you missed it in your first read through, but the "G-SYNC vs. V-SYNC w/FPS Limit: So Close, Yet So Far Apart" and "V-SYNC OFF: Beyond the Limits of the Scanout" sections in my "G-SYNC 101: Input Lag & Optimal Settings" article already answered that question.

I'd try to repeat my answer here, but the subject is too multifaceted without knowing what you specifically want to achieve with your configuration. Short answer: it depends.

Please read those sections, if you haven't already, and check back here if you need further clarification.
Thanks for replying,

I didn't notice that you could scroll left and right for the other refresh rate graphics, i can see the other results now.

But besides that, where i'm not sure on "V-SYNC OFF: Beyond the Limits of the Scanout" is when you compare on the graphic :
"G-SYNC + V-SYNC" and the others "V-SYNC OFF" with different FPS limit, is "V-SYNC OFF" on the graph means "G-SYNC ON + V-SYNC OFF" or "G-SYNC OFF + V-SYNC OFF"
My question was more about seeing input lag results of "GSYNC OFF + VSYNC OFF" with different FPS limit, so if this is the same thing and doesn't matter, then it's all good but wanted you to confirm to be sure. Thanks
Hope its not too confusing :oops:
Last edited by casinca on 16 Aug 2017, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

open

Post by open » 16 Aug 2017, 11:08

Sorry i love this stuff so i had to butt in and reply. "Gsync off and vsync off" should maintain a low average input lag even over the refresh rate of the monitor. Because it uses vsync off behavior when it is above the gsync refresh. You might notice tearing and a desync of fps and monitor refresh may create a microstutter. But on average the input lag will be similar. The only time it would not be similar is when the game engine uses techniques that make input lag and framerate relationships. Like in overwatch you might get more input lag if the graphics part of the pipeline is too slow. However this is very unlikely at the high refresh rate of a monitor (144fps or above for example). And if it is happening you can always turn down a graphics setting to eliminate it.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 16 Aug 2017, 11:16

casinca wrote:Thanks for replying,

I didn't notice that you could scroll left and right for other the other refresh rate graphics, i can see the other results now.

But besides that, where i'm not sure on "V-SYNC OFF: Beyond the Limits of the Scanout" is when you compare on the graphic :
"G-SYNC + V-SYNC" and the others "V-SYNC OFF" with different FPS limit, is "V-SYNC OFF" on the graph means "G-SYNC ON + V-SYNC OFF" or "G-SYNC OFF + V-SYNC OFF"
My question was more about seeing input lag results of "GSYNC OFF + VSYNC OFF" with different FPS limit, so if this is the same thing and doesn't matter, then it's all good but wanted you to confirm to be sure. Thanks
Hope its not too confusing :oops:
Yes, if you're on mobile, you can either swipe the charts or tap the large grey dots below the charts to cycle through them. On desktop, there are both left/right arrows and dots.

"V-SYNC OFF" = G-SYNC and V-SYNC completely disabled.
"G-SYNC + V-SYNC 'Off'" = G-SYNC enabled and V-SYNC disabled (this scenario was featured earlier in the article).

To be clear, all the entries labeled "V-SYNC OFF" in the "V-SYNC OFF: Beyond the Limits of the Scanout" section have both G-SYNC and V-SYNC completely disabled.

I acknowledge the information in the article can be a bit overwhelming (and even confusing), but that's just the nature of the subject material; it's complicated stuff ;)

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask them.