Blur Buster's G-SYNC 101 Series Discussion

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
dlder

Re: Blur Buster's G-SYNC 101 Series Discussion

Post by dlder » 13 Dec 2019, 05:48

jorimt wrote:
12 Dec 2019, 12:22
it will allow tearing, even within the G-SYNC range.
Man, thanks for clearing that up!!

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 13 Dec 2019, 09:48

dlder wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 05:48
Man, thanks for clearing that up!!
Not a problem @dlder.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

dlder

Post by dlder » 13 Dec 2019, 15:42

So, to sum it ALL up, the optimal settings are:
no GSync:
nV-CPL:
  • Low Latency Mode = Ultra
  • VSync = On
  • Tripple Buffer = Off
RTSS:
  • Global Profile, no OSD, Detection=low, Stealth=on
  • real "TFT Refresh Rate - 0.01" (eg. 59.976fps for my 60hz LG-34WK95U-W)
  • check Hz here or here
changes with GSync:
RTSS:
  • "TFT Refresh Rate - 3" (eg. 57fps for 60hz)

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 13 Dec 2019, 16:35

dlder wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 15:42
So, to sum it ALL up, the optimal settings are:
no GSync:
nV-CPL:
  • Low Latency Mode = Ultra
  • VSync = On
  • Tripple Buffer = Off
RTSS:
  • Global Profile, no OSD, Detection=low, Stealth=on
  • real "TFT Refresh Rate - 0.01" (eg. 59.976fps for my 60hz LG-34WK95U-W)
  • check Hz here or here
That's one way, but there are more low latency configurations available for use with standalone V-SYNC:
https://www.blurbusters.com/howto-low-lag-vsync-on/
dlder wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 15:42
changes with GSync:
RTSS:
  • "TFT Refresh Rate - 3" (eg. 57fps for 60hz)
Optimal G-SYNC settings are readily available here (including recommended LLM configs):
https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync ... ttings/14/

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

dlder

Post by dlder » 14 Dec 2019, 01:44

Again, thanks a bunch!

Nizzyx

Post by Nizzyx » 16 Jan 2020, 15:25

Hi guys, sorry for asking this probably again but I'm not english so I have problems to understand the v-sync part. Is it better to activate it in the NVCP or not? I have a 144hz g-sync compatible screen and playing fortnite limited to 141 hz.
Thanks in advance

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 17 Jan 2020, 10:51

Nizzyx wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 15:25
Hi guys, sorry for asking this probably again but I'm not english so I have problems to understand the v-sync part. Is it better to activate it in the NVCP or not? I have a 144hz g-sync compatible screen and playing fortnite limited to 141 hz.
Thanks in advance
99% of the time, it is fine to either use NVCP V-SYNC or in-game V-SYNC with G-SYNC. Just don't use both at the same time.

That said, if you want to be super safe, I personally recommend using NVCP V-SYNC, just in case of the possible occasional quirk with the in-game solution:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5903&p=45157&hilit=apex#p45157

Kaldaien

Post by Kaldaien » 22 Jan 2020, 21:53

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
28 May 2018, 10:42
RealNC wrote:* I'm avoiding it, because the reason I've heard of it initially was that it modifies the user's system maliciously if it thinks the game it runs in is pirated. So actually that makes it malware (a trojan, to be precise.) I try to avoid such software like the plague.
It doesn't currently do that. Maybe that was removed after that bad publicity. Can you give me a citation? I'll peek at the git history.
Vleeswolf wrote:Well, I'm not observing any malicious behavior of SpecialK. Also the source code is available.

The features I meant are a vblank-based mode for its frame rate limiter, and various options to reduce input lag. I'm not sure it does the "throttling" approach of RTSS 7.2.0. If I understood correctly that feature would ensure CPU would never start preparing frames in case the game is GPU bound, thus limiting input lag. Would a setting of max prerendered frames to 1 have a similar reduction, or would RTSS's approach reduct input lag even further in case of GPU bound?

SpecialK also offers the possibility to enable flip mode + waitable swapchains for DX11 games that do not do so out of the box. These modes can further reduce input lag. DX11 flip mode right now also appears to be the only way to get GSYNC working in borderless windowed mode on Windows 10.
Thanks for letting me know!
I'd love to see how Special K compares to RTSS too as well.
Do you know anyone who can do 1000fps high speed camera testing of Special K as well?
*sigh* when will this end?

I wish not to drag this out with the specifics on why pirates think Special K is malicious, it adds nothing to the discussion here... but I will say none of this is accurate. I can detect pirated games (Steam versions only) and do so only for the purpose of forcing crack users to seek support for their products elsewhere. There are some undesirable consequences (documented in code) for users trying to bypass my checks using binary modification since the software is GPL-based and I want any modifications to be distributed w/ source code.

When you spend as much time as I do reverse engineering games and then providing end-user support for products you did not design, you want to make sure you are only offering support to individuals being honest about the version of the software they are running. It surprises me that this is somehow controversial.

With this said, I have to wonder why nobody has ever consulted with me on any of this? I was pointed to this discussion only now, 2 years after, by a user on the Steam forums. I also would love to know how my design compares with RTSS, nobody in my userbase has the hardware to do FCAT analysis.

I am happy to discuss the specifics of flip model presentation vs. fullscreen mode. That is all related to the recent discussion you have been having on fullscreen optimizations in Windows 10. That mode attempts to change traditional bitblt DXGI swapchains to flip model for any fullscreen borderless window, which NVIDIA's drivers enable G-Sync for without the ugly driver hack that alters DWM composition based on foreground window.

Unfortunately, I have recently fallen out of favor with G-Sync and VRR in general. My experience with LG's 2019 4K OLEDs and their Black Frame Insertion mode has been eye opening. As we are all no doubt aware, these are effectively mutually exclusive technologies due to frame persistence. For me, G-Sync was of interest only for its ability to mitigate frame pacing drawbacks associated with dropped frames at the resolutions and quality settings I play games. I am much too old to be sensitive to input latency, so a locked 60 Hz BFI signal is good enough for me and looks better than trying to brute force motion blur away with more frames :P

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Jan 2020, 00:00

You are the author of Special K?
Great to hear from you — I had already doubted the rumors, as you see.
Kaldaien wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 21:53
Unfortunately, I have recently fallen out of favor with G-Sync and VRR in general. My experience with LG's 2019 4K OLEDs and their Black Frame Insertion mode has been eye opening. As we are all no doubt aware, these are effectively mutually exclusive technologies due to frame persistence. For me, G-Sync was of interest only for its ability to mitigate frame pacing drawbacks associated with dropped frames at the resolutions and quality settings I play games. I am much too old to be sensitive to input latency, so a locked 60 Hz BFI signal is good enough for me and looks better than trying to brute force motion blur away with more frames :P
You should hear about my “Blur Busters Approved” work, then! A tuning trick used, the hertzroom transferred to improving low Hz strobe quality made 100Hz strobe mode on the XG270 competitive to a Sony FW900 CRT.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 24 Jan 2020, 10:07

Kaldaien wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 21:53
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
28 May 2018, 10:42
RealNC wrote:* I'm avoiding it, because the reason I've heard of it initially was that it modifies the user's system maliciously if it thinks the game it runs in is pirated. So actually that makes it malware (a trojan, to be precise.) I try to avoid such software like the plague.
*sigh* when will this end?

I wish not to drag this out with the specifics on why pirates think Special K is malicious, it adds nothing to the discussion here... but I will say none of this is accurate. I can detect pirated games (Steam versions only) and do so only for the purpose of forcing crack users to seek support for their products elsewhere.
Didn't your software move game files in order to damage installed games? I'm pretty sure I saw a post you made yourself somewhere where you admitted it.

In any event, I use the cracked versions of some of the games I legally own (because in many instances the cracked version is actually the superior version, like Skryim SE or GTA) and thus don't want to run any software on my system that might damage their installation.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.