Blur Buster's G-SYNC 101 Series Discussion

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Glide

Re: Blur Buster's G-SYNC 101 Series Discussion

Post by Glide » 21 Jun 2017, 11:13

RealNC wrote:Out of curiosity, does the same happen if you set vsync to on in nvcp? Does then toggling in-game vsync off/on result in the FPS lock/unlock?

Also, have you tested without g-sync? Disable g-sync, run in 144Hz mode. Does enabling in-game vsync do the same thing?
Yes, it also happens if V-Sync is on in the NVCP, but since it's a 100Hz panel that I have and Dishonored 2 has a 120 FPS limit, I had to disable it to go beyond that.

However I have since disconnected the G-sync display and connected up my previous 60Hz display, and it's also working there too - so long as I disable V-Sync in the NVCP.
I swear that didn't work before, but it seems to be working now.

So perhaps that behavior is not exclusive to G-Sync, but it is a reason to enable in-game V-Sync for some games, when using a G-Sync display.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 21 Jun 2017, 11:18

Yeah, some games do weird things. The reverse is also true. If you don't disable in-game vsync, some games are a complete mess when using g-sync (prime example is Fallout 4.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Glide

Post by Glide » 21 Jun 2017, 11:22

Yes, as a general rule you don't want in-game V-Sync or non-adjustable framerate limiters to be enabled.
But there are some games where the framerate limiter is required - Dishonored 2 and Soma have bad frame-pacing issues if you go beyond 60 FPS.
While other games are capped to 60 FPS for no apparent reason, and enabling in-game V-Sync actually allows for an unlocked framerate.
Last edited by Glide on 21 Jun 2017, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

kevindd992002

Post by kevindd992002 » 21 Jun 2017, 13:16

@jorimt

Why doesn't the GSYNC range image here: http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-range/ not include the "optimal gsync settings" that you can find in the old image here: https://i.gyazo.com/35523f43ff4fd7566c3 ... 24e221.png ?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 21 Jun 2017, 13:37

Simple logistics, really.

In the article, the Range page comes before many of the optimal settings explanations and recommendations on the next page, so I treated them as separate elements. E.g. it would be out of order.

I would consider re-adding, if it seems more complete to the average reader, however:
"Optimal G-SYNC Settings:
G-SYNC + V-SYNC (NVCP) "On" + In-game V-SYNC Disabled + 3 FPS Limit Below Max Refresh Rate."
Due to space constraints on the existing chart though, I couldn't fit everything, and it would just be a sum-up of what should be read and followed in the complete article.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

kevindd992002

Post by kevindd992002 » 21 Jun 2017, 13:56

jorimt wrote:Simple logistics, really.

In the article, the Range page comes before many of the optimal settings explanations and recommendations on the next page, so I treated them as separate elements. E.g. it would be out of order.

I would consider re-adding, if it seems more complete to the average reader, however:
"Optimal G-SYNC Settings:
G-SYNC + V-SYNC (NVCP) "On" + In-game V-SYNC Disabled + 3 FPS Limit Below Max Refresh Rate."
Due to space constraints on the existing chart though, I couldn't fit everything, and it would just be a sum-up of what should be read and followed in the complete article.
Ok, that makes sense.

I just re-read the optimal settings page and had a better sense of what you're saying. I have a question regarding FPS competitive games like CS:GO and Overwatch (especially CS:GO) though. There are mixed reviews all over the Internet regarding using GSYNC with CS:GO vs. turning it off and just using ULMB with as high as possible framerate that it can go. I know there will be tearing but most say that super high framerates tend to reduce tearing and makes FPS games more "smoother" to the feel. What is your take on this?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Jun 2017, 13:57

Glide wrote:Yes, as a general rule you don't want in-game V-Sync or framerate limiters to be enabled.
Just to be clear, "framerate limiters" and "framerate caps" may get confused.
As synonyms, they can get confused with each other.

I think what you probably meant:
Glide wrote:Yes, as a general rule you don't want in-game V-Sync or non-adjustable framerate limiters to be enabled.
Basically, those annoying non-adjustable 60fps framerate limiters that you can't readjust to a few fps below GSYNC limit.

[Edit: I noticed Glide edited his original post for clarification; now making my reply obsolete ;) ]
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 21 Jun 2017, 14:01

kevindd992002 wrote:Ok, that makes sense.

I just re-read the optimal settings page and had a better sense of what you're saying. I have a question regarding FPS competitive games like CS:GO and Overwatch (especially CS:GO) though. There are mixed reviews all over the Internet regarding using GSYNC with CS:GO vs. turning it off and just using ULMB with as high as possible framerate that it can go. I know there will be tearing but most say that super high framerates tend to reduce tearing and makes FPS games more "smoother" to the feel. What is your take on this?
First off, what is your max refresh rate, and how how high can you sustain framerate above the refresh rate in CS:GO?

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 21 Jun 2017, 14:02

Glide wrote:1. I had been testing with G-Sync disabled, since I was only checking for tearing in Borderless Windowed Mode.
Glide wrote:Right, but if you enable V-Sync in Dishonored 2, you can break past the 120 FPS limit.
I can replicate the in-game V-SYNC quirk with G-SYNC, but I can't replicate the tearing you are seeing with borderless or windowed mode in Dishonored 2.

I tried all combinations of Game Mode and fullscreen optimization settings with G-SYNC and in-game V-SYNC disabled, even at 60Hz with frames well over 100, and not a hint of tearing to be seen. There was loads of microstutter, but that's to be expected with the DWM triple buffer solution.

It must be system specific. Are you sure you haven't been on a slightly earlier version of the Creators update since it released? For reference, mine is currently Windows 10 Home version 1703, build 15063.413. I'm thinking they may have corrected that behavior in a slightly later release, and that's why I didn't experience it while testing.

If that isn't it (likely it isn't), have you tried deleting your config file, and trying to see if you can replicate the tearing in borderless again?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Jun 2017, 14:05

For low-lag Blur Reduction, 1000fps VSYNC OFF is indeed a good compromise with ULMB since strobed variable refresh rate isn't currently yet mainstream. If the framerate-locked option is not available (due to VSYNC ON input lag concerns) then massively exceed the framerate to minimize the microstutter/tearing disadvantage of VSYNC OFF -- the insane framerates compensates a lot.

We'll be doing ultra-detailed lag testing with ULMB (and other strobe backlights) in the coming months too.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!