Blur Busters Forums

Who you gonna call? The Blur Busters! For Everything Better Than 60Hz™ Skip to content

240hz panel limit to 144FPS for optimal smoothness?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.

240hz panel limit to 144FPS for optimal smoothness?

Postby tofues » 19 Aug 2017, 13:57

should i limit my 240hz monitor to 144 FPS (in game) in order to prevent micro stuttering? the gsync ceiling to prevent V-SYNC-level input lag is at 2 frames (3 to be sure) from maximum hz of panel. the gsync ceiling to prevent micro stuttering is 144hz, after that it may occur but screen tearing is still eliminated. is this correct? thanks for your time!
tofues

Re: 240hz panel limit to 144FPS for optimal smoothness?

Postby jorimt » 19 Aug 2017, 14:30

If you limit your framerate to 144 FPS at 240Hz, you're simply robbing yourself of a potential extra 96 FPS. A -3 FPS limit (237 FPS) at 240Hz is plenty to avoid the G-SYNC ceiling.

As for the microstuttering you mentioned, G-SYNC can't cause that, so it must be something else; I'd need more details to diagnose.
Blur Busters Contributor - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
jorimt

Postby tofues » 19 Aug 2017, 15:14

jorimt wrote:If you limit your framerate to 144 FPS at 240Hz, you're simply robbing yourself of a potential extra 96 FPS. A -3 FPS limit (237 FPS) at 240Hz is plenty to avoid the G-SYNC ceiling.

As for the microstuttering you mentioned, G-SYNC can't cause that, so it must be something else; I'd need more details to diagnose.

oh i don't have the monitor yet i'm only learning. i think i may be misunderstanding, i thought the gsync (+vsync) range was to 144hz and anything after that the tearing is still eliminated but stuttering may occur. i have not been considering a frame limit in place, i'm understanding now. thanks! :oops:
tofues

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 19 Aug 2017, 15:23

If you have GSYNC turned on, variable frame rates don't have stutter.

Frame rates can continually change without stutters caused by frame rate changes.

That's a benefit of GSYNC and FreeSync.

Simulated demo: https://www.testufo.com/#test=stutter&demo=gsync

Frame rate limits for GSYNC/FreeSync are really only beneficial to fix problems such as sudden-lag-increase when framerates try to exceed refresh rate. E.g. 235fps cap for 240Hz GSYNC.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Postby tofues » 19 Aug 2017, 15:50

Chief Blur Buster wrote:If you have GSYNC turned on, variable frame rates don't have stutter.

Frame rates can continually change without stutters caused by frame rate changes.

That's a benefit of GSYNC and FreeSync.

Simulated demo: https://www.testufo.com/#test=stutter&demo=gsync

Frame rate limits for GSYNC/FreeSync are really only beneficial to fix problems such as sudden-lag-increase when framerates try to exceed refresh rate. E.g. 235fps cap for 240Hz GSYNC.

thanks! :oops:
tofues

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 19 Aug 2017, 20:11

Microstutters can still be caused by mouse and game engines. Getting a better mouse can reduce microstutters during high-Hz operation and GSYNC operation.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Postby RealNC » 19 Aug 2017, 23:33

From personal experience, the majority of microstutter is caused by in-game frame limiters. In these cases, using RTSS instead of the in-game limiter completely fixes microstutter.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.
RealNC

Return to G-SYNC