G-Sync problem with dual monitors

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
BlazeGaming

G-Sync problem with dual monitors

Post by BlazeGaming » 05 Nov 2017, 09:50

Hi everyone,
I use a dual monitor setup, a Benq XL2720Z 1080p 144hz with DVI and an Acer XB272 1080p 240hz with G-Sync connected through Display Port cable to a Gtx 1080 Strix on win 10 64bit 1703 build with Game Mode disabled.
The problem: On my games (BF1, BF4, Overwatch, CS-GO) I cannot run 240hz with G-Sync enabled on fullscreen mode. Even tho my games show 240hz and G-Sync is enabled in Nvidia Control panel, it actually runs at 144hz (I can see that in monitors OSD info and also feel it while playing). The only way to get it to work on 240hz with G-Sync is to go borderless mode or to disable G-Sync and have 240hz only with no G-Sync, or to disable secondary monitor in which case all games will run 240hz with G-Sync. My desktop is also in 240hz. I don't know if its the drivers update or what, I am running the latest version and also tried previous versions with no fix.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: G-Sync problem with dual monitors

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Nov 2017, 12:34

Multi-monitor mode can cause difficulties with modes (e.g. GSYNC versus non-GSYNC monitors, and different refresh rates).

-- GSYNC monitor should be the primary monitor.
-- Try swapping DisplayPort jacks on your graphics card. You might have a dotclock limitation in multi-monitor mode.

Failing that, use DisplayFusion to solve your inconvenience.

-- Use a utility to help automate your convenience. Download DisplayFusion and use a hotkey to temporarily disable your XL2720Z everytime you want 240Hz GSYNC. And another hotkey to re-enable your XL2720Z. It can even swap the monitors (primary vs secondary) for you too. It even will detect a game being launched and automatically turn off the other monitor for you, if you want. It's your best friend for your complex situation.

Mixing VRR differences AND refresh-rate differences is trickier than only have VRR-feature-difference or refresh-rate-difference. This is a Microsoft Windows inconvenience.

I use & recommend DisplayFusion to manage mixed incompatible features (FreeSync + GSYNC + Different Hz simultaneously) in multiple monitor mode. Very important if you like switching between GeForce/Radeon and G-SYNC/FreeSync on the same computer without opening a computer or unplugging video cables. With DisplayFusion, it's even possible to more easily switch between FreeSync and G-SYNC on the same computer without removing graphics card (Radeon + GeForce installed in the same computer at the same time). Weird configuration but it is useful for testers & reviewers.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

BlazeGaming

Post by BlazeGaming » 06 Nov 2017, 08:41

Thanks for the detailed answer. The GSYNC monitor is my primary and I also swapped the DP port with no result. I had no problems before, I think a driver update ruined everything, I might try reinstalling windows again with a older driver in hope of fixing this. But if I can't find a solution I might use DisplayFusion in the end.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 06 Nov 2017, 11:52

Do you see options to set it to 240hz in game? What happens if you switch between 144 and 240 in game?

I have 8 monitors with the primary as Gsync but it's only a 144hz monitor, and the other monitors are connected to other video cards. I don't have any problems.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Nov 2017, 16:04

Some games allow you to force refresh rate at the command line. That's another option too.

Also, switch to true full-screen mode instead of borderless windowed. That can fix things.

Also, try testing with moving all windows to the same monitor, keeping no windows on the monitor you're not gaming on.
Why? Keeping all game windows and Steam windows (popups, utils, etc) -- keep it on the same screen you want to game on. Sometimes there's strange interactions when the same chain of game apps has windows on both screens. It's okay to keep a Notepad (game walkthrough text files) or a different browser (e.g. FireFox on a gamefaq) on the other screen, but I've seen situations when a game uses the same browser engine (e.g. Chrome embedded) and a separate web browser window on the other monitor, they can framerate-cap each other in funny ways. Weird things like this has happened before -- when you have multiple "shared" applications (even if it's just embedded) on different monitors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!