Faulty g-sync?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
yehaw

Re: Faulty g-sync?

Post by yehaw » 28 Dec 2017, 06:05

yoyoa wrote:No hope? :(
Try exchanging it?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Dec 2017, 14:51

The fact that you're seeing stutters on one G-SYNC monitor has me interested -- I wonder if that is a defect in your particular G-SYNC monitor. I've heard of very rare stuttery G-SYNC monitors that fixed itself in an exchange. But I have only heard of this situation 2 times. This is no guarantee, just that exchange has worked before -- a couple times.

At this stage it's a longershot, but if you can take a photograph of your monitor's firmware screen, to know what firmware you have on your monitor -- then exchange -- and then see if it fixes itself in a newer firmware.

It may still be the computer itself -- but you already tested the monitor with a different computer and the stutters were there (right)?

I'm assuming the problem is with erratic stutters (that shouldn't exist with G-SYNC) and not motion blur.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

yoyoa

Post by yoyoa » 04 Jan 2018, 09:27

I bought it used on my local "auction" site in Japan (yahoo auction).

After 1 day testing this monitor I sent a message to the seller saying that something was strange and I was going to test more. He was super friendly until I said that I wanted to return.

This guy is a "reseller" (not a big deal for me) so I searched his personal addresses on google and found his alt accounts and looks like he bought this monitor as "junk" for less than $200... Not even sure if he even knows what g-sync is :(

Borrowed a Dell S2716DG to test and it works like a charm.

Unfortunately won't get back my money because the auction site doesn't do literally anything (even though we use the site to intermediate the payment system).

At least I got a fully working 144hz 1440p IPS screen with almost no blb and another common abnormalities :?

fluidz

Post by fluidz » 19 Jan 2018, 13:18

Hi,

I'm seeing this recently with my Acer X34a.

I don't see any issues on the desktop, or in the ufo test.

But when I fire up a game, with gsync enabled, if i rotate the camera around me continuously, after say 3 or 4 rotations, I see a stutter. When monitoring the built in fps counter on my screen, I see the fps fluctuate quickly, but not quite hitting the refresh rate ceiling. I know that if the fps hits 95hz, gsync will disable, hence why I cap at 92fps.

Monitor set to 95hz in windows for stability (100hz monitor), Fps limit to 92fps in rivatuner / in game fps cap. Gsync on and vsync on in Nvidia control panel.

It's as if a single frame skips, causing a judder of the entire screen. At the same time, when this happens, oddly, i see a brief flash of overshoot following lines/text. Overshoot only appears when the fps becomes unstable.

My Acer x34 has been set to its default overshoot setting, which is overdrive = normal. I can't see much overshoot in the ufo test at this setting. Only in games.

What I found out is when i set my monitor to its native 60hz, with Gsync on, Vsync on, with a 58fps cap, I see no overshoot or stuttering when rotating the camera.

Having the monitor set above 60hz triggers the stuttering / overshoot.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Jan 2018, 00:55

yoyoa wrote:I bought it used on my local "auction" site in Japan (yahoo auction).
You have two Dell SD2716DG's -- one with flaky GSYNC and one with good GSYNC?

For me, I'm very mighty curious about the differences in firmware versions between the two displays. If you can't bring up your factory screen, photograph the back of your two monitors and post them! (Date of manufacture, etc)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!