75hz screen with G-SYNC and fps ingame above screen rate.

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
danceman96

75hz screen with G-SYNC and fps ingame above screen rate.

Post by danceman96 » 02 Feb 2018, 05:47

Hi,
I have laptop with 75hz G-SYNC screen.
I mostly play Battlefield 1 with my fps is something about 70-100.
I have read much about G-SYNC but almost everything is about 144hz sceens and people who have that screens usually have less than 144fps soo its normal to use G-SYNC and for example V-SYNC on, becouse of the g-sync range working.
BUT what about my situation?
I have only 75hz and my FPSes are most above 75hz screen.

Now i use this configuration:
1. In nvidia control panel: G-SYNC ON, V-SYNC ON
In game: V-SYNC OFF, only FPS Cap by command in user.cfg on 71fps

OR

2. G-SYNC and V SYNC OFF
No FPS Limit

No.1.Stability 71fps, It should be smutter becouse of full G-SYNC work BUT it seems to me It's not, but aiming seems to be better.

No.2. When i jave 70-100fps It seems to be smoother, but aiming seems to be worse (that is input lag?)

I know this forum is one of best about G-SYNC soo im asking you for help, what i should to set up, what is the best choice for me etc. :)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: 75hz screen with G-SYNC and fps ingame above screen rate

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Feb 2018, 10:17

Different games behave very different at different frame rates -- and their lag mechanics vary a lot. We're most familiar with CS:GO but some general info:

-- Fluctuating frame rates (especially below triple digits) also often give you noticeably fluctuating input lag (due due varying frame times). In CS:GO at super high frame rates, this is not an issue, it's better to uncap.

The more time a GPU takes to render a frame, the more time passed between an input read and the frame gets displayed. So naturally, lower framerates have more lag. On the other hand, varying frame rates means varying lag! That can be a problem sometimes for competitive players.

Framerate fluctuations in the low framerates has major lag variances
In a game like Battlefield that can be very difficult for aiming since huge drops.
100fps -> 50fps framerate change is a sudden 10ms surge in input lag.
Ddifference of 1/100sec and 1/50sec -- 10ms vs 20ms = 10ms difference = that's feelable.
Common example: Battlefield on laptops

...But this matters less at very high frame rates
Yet drops in the stratosphere (e.g. 300fps -> 200fps) is only a 1.67 milisecond surge in input lag.
300fps -> 200fps difference = 1/300sec and 1/200sec = 3.33ms versus 5ms = only 1.67ms difference
Common example: CS:GO on desktop computers

So the bottom line: If your game (A) runs in the two-digit framerates, and (B) framerate fluctuates all over the place, then changing settings to make lag more consistent helps -- and sometimes frame rate capping is one of them. But not all games behave in the same way -- capping doesn't always fix this. But it does, sometimes.

Many competitive players observe Battlefield games doesn't "feel" as good as CS:GO in aiming. But the aiming is tweakable, you just need different tweaks to help Battlefield than for CS:GO. Competitive game players sometimes perform a little better with certain games like Battlefield when capping frame rate -- especially on systems that can't sustain it continuously at triple-digit frame rates.

Also, letting frame rates go barely above refresh rate isn't always worth it for aimfeel -- sometimes when framerates struggle like that, might as well cap closer to refresh rate for smoothness. Really, really good VSYNC OFF aimfeel tended to work better at framerates significantly exceeding the refresh rate (e.g. 300fps CS:GO at 144Hz). Frame rates that are just barely above refresh rate (e.g. 80fps at 75Hz) have nasty beat-frequency microstutters (80 MOD 75 = 5 microstutters per second) that affect aiming, as another factor. Fixing this is to give lots of excess framerate far above refresh rate. That's the common CS:GO technique. Or one gets a high-Hz monitor where your framerate range is often well within your VRR range (240Hz G-SYNC monitors) -- such as playing PUBG on a 240Hz GSYNC monitor as it rarely reaches that framerate, anyway.

I think in your case, capping sometimes works well for Battlefield for those "framerates barely above refreshrate" situations. One thing I'm intrigued at is that you say the motion less smooth -- do you mean more stuttery?

Further experimentation:
...Test a few different caps briefly. See if you can get better smoothness without affecting aimfeel. It is quite possible that the frametime variances are huge, does it play smoother with a 65 or 68 cap? Or even 73?
...Test VSYNC OFF with G-SYNC disabled, uncapped. See if the aimfeel is better. G-SYNC is really good but if you're always exceeding max Hz, any VRR technology does become less useful (this is one of those times one wishes your VRR range covered your entire framerate fluctuation range!)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

danceman96

Post by danceman96 » 02 Feb 2018, 16:52

So u suggest to play without G-SYNC, V-SYNC and without frame cap ?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Feb 2018, 19:19

danceman96 wrote:So u suggest to play without G-SYNC, V-SYNC and without frame cap ?
At least try it out and see if it works better (or not) for your aiming.

Otherwise, continue with G-SYNC + cap.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Feb 2018, 04:25

I'm not aware of any in-depth g-sync tests on laptops. It could be that there are differences, especially on what the vsync setting does when g-sync is enabled.

So I'd say use whatever looks better to you. Try g-sync + 73FPS cap with vsync on then off, then try lower cap, then try g-sync off completely.

Also, if your display is overclockable (although that's a long shot, since I don't think g-sync displays are OCable), it might change things. At around 90Hz is where motion quality and low input lag really start to stand out.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

danceman96

Post by danceman96 » 05 Feb 2018, 07:41

If i contiune with G-SYNC ON and FPS CAP, should i also set on V-SYNC?
Is G-SYNC better with V-SYNC ON?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 05 Feb 2018, 07:51

danceman96 wrote:If i contiune with G-SYNC ON and FPS CAP, should i also set on V-SYNC?
Is G-SYNC better with V-SYNC ON?
For desktop gsync monitors, setting "vsync on" in the nvidia control panel is better as it allows g-sync to better control the tear line and make it invisible, with virtually zero latency cost. Without it, gsync can have tearing in some cases. We suspect this function is at least partly implemented by the gsync module, and is controlled by the vsync setting.

But I don't know if that's also true for laptop gsync, unfortunately.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

danceman96

Post by danceman96 » 20 Feb 2018, 15:54

I tested G-SYNC + V-SYNC in Nvidia ON + FPS cap to 71 ingame command.
Almost always on 71 FPS ( i have 75Hz) and I noticed one problem.
I think i have stuttering, microstuttering. There is NO problem without G-SYNC, V-SYNC and fps cap by command, but then i fell like i have input lags.
That stutter is every few seconds. (even while this is stability 71 fps)

I also tested G-SYNC in nvidia demo of g-sync (that with big clock) and G-SYNC there looks very good, no stuttering.