Glossy screen with GSync

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
lossofmercy

Glossy screen with GSync

Post by lossofmercy » 06 Feb 2018, 18:03

Hi,

I am looking for a glossy screen with Gsync. Glossy is just much more pleasing to the eye, and I play in the dark most of the time anyway. Almost all of the gsync monitors I have seen is matte... which isn't great. If there was something that could clock to 100hz, that would be sweet too.

Looking for a minimum of 1440p display.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Glossy screen with GSync

Post by RealNC » 06 Feb 2018, 20:03

Not aware of full glossy ones, but the 165Hz 1440p IPS monitors are semi-glossy. At least mine is (ViewSonic XG2703-GS.) I don't know if the coating can change between monitors that use the same panel.

Edit:
I found a video that shows (by accident) how the coating of that monitor is:

https://youtu.be/FqUjPTUBJeg?t=136

You can ignore the rest of the video. It's completely stupid :P (usual "unboxing" nonsense.) But that section of the video shows a good view of how reflective the coating is. It's pretty much 50/50 between full glossy and matte. It's barely enough matte as to not act like a mirror, but not matte enough as to prevent reflections. You can see yourself clearly in it. Having a light source behind you is not recommended, as light sources are reflected very strongly. However, it's not matte enough as to result in graining. There is zero graining, even when viewing a 100% white image.

The coating becomes fully glossy when viewed from an angle. It turns into a mirror basically when looking at it from the sides. Not sure what that means exactly or how that kind of coating is called.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Feb 2018, 00:20

AFAIK, all the known 165 Hz IPS panels are the following:

ASUS ROG PG279Q - 27" 2560x1440 IPS 165Hz G-SYNC
Acer Predator XB271HU - 27" 2560x1440 IPS 165Hz G-SYNC
AOC AG271QG - 27" 2560x1440 IPS 165Hz G-SYNC
Viewsonic XG2703-GS - 27" 2560x1440 IPS 165Hz G-SYNC

Most of the time, the film is applied by the panel manufacturer, so they tend to be similar. However, there's no guarantee. The semi-gloss ones are a good compromise.

Viewsonic does have the advantage of often pre-calibrating their displays to have good out-of-the-box color quality.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lossofmercy

Post by lossofmercy » 08 Feb 2018, 17:54

It really sucks there aren't more options out for g-sync. :(

I have been wanting to upgrade my monitor for ages, but it looks like the few that are interesting (21:9 1440p with g-sync) are usually sold out/inexcusably expensive. And the rest are either dealing with quality issues or simply doesn't make color depth/quality a priority. The only one that seems to be even trying is the ROG swift PG27UQ, and that doesn't even have lightboost.

Sigh. What a frustrating time to be a consumer.

Would you recommend https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWJMM1S at the price listed?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Feb 2018, 21:53

Currently, yes, that's a very popular 1440p IPS G-SYNC monitor, it is semi-gloss, and the price is reasonable:
ViewSonic XG2703-GS IPS 165Hz
If you've been waiting forever, then you'll be much happier with this semigloss one than the less-glossy-screened G-SYNC monitors. I don't think they'll release glossy G-SYNC monitors... These tend to be the more glossy looking G-SYNC monitors. And it has ULMB which is better in colors than LightBoost.

Now that you mentioned an ultrawide interest:
Here's a much cheaper ultrawide 3440x1440 IPS 120Hz monitor, as an alternate option:
You would lose G-SYNC (it's FreeSync only) but you'd get the same screen size for only a mere $570 ish:

G-STORY 35 Inch Curved HDR 120Hz 3440x1440 -- Under $570

I don't know if that one is glossy or matte.

That's an additional model I've discovered lately for those wanting a cheap IPS 120Hz ultrawide for less than half the price of their G-SYNC equivalents. Some monitors have pretty cheap G-SYNC premiums (I've seen the G-SYNC premium be as small as $50 for certain sizes of certain brands) -- but it does indeed seem that IPS 120Hz 1440p ultrawides currently have a steep G-SYNC premium (at least today).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lossofmercy

Post by lossofmercy » 11 Feb 2018, 09:47

I am stuck in the Nvidia world for the time being, graphics prices and options being what they are, but that does hit a great price point for the specs.

lossofmercy

Post by lossofmercy » 11 Feb 2018, 09:54

Anyway, I bought the viewsonic monitor. Thanks for the recommendations. I really hope there are no dead pixels.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Feb 2018, 23:21

lossofmercy wrote:Anyway, I bought the viewsonic monitor. Thanks for the recommendations. I really hope there are no dead pixels.
I'd love to know how it performs for you -- and if the glossiness is sufficient.

lossofmercy

Post by lossofmercy » 16 Feb 2018, 22:21

It's interesting that the "native" output of this monitor is very red-shifted to my eyes. I have to either use sRGB or "bluish" to make everything seem "correct". I wonder if that's due to my fairly accurate color perception.

Overall, I was really hoping for ULMB+Gsync (the real dream), but it looks like that's not the reality right now. I will have to play some games and report back.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 16 Feb 2018, 23:41

lossofmercy wrote:It's interesting that the "native" output of this monitor is very red-shifted to my eyes. I have to either use sRGB or "bluish" to make everything seem "correct". I wonder if that's due to my fairly accurate color perception.
"sRGB" and "Native" use the same colors. The only difference is that sRGB will change brightness to 20 and disable contrast adjustment (it's fixed at 50), while native allows you to use your own brightness.

"sRGB" is exactly the same as "Native" with a brightness of 20 (which is the recommended brightness in normal lighting conditions) and a contrast of 50 (which, again, is the recommended contrast since it's the neutral setting.) As you can imagine, "sRGB" is therefore rather useless as an option.

As usual, panels can differ a bit between units, but try my settings (switch to "User Color" for this):

Brightness: 20
Contrast: 50 (try and always keep this at 50)
R: 99
G: 98
B: 100

Another possible calibration is:
R: 98
G: 97
B: 100

You can see the difference between custom RGB values and "Native" by switching quickly between "User Color" and "Native". (Avoid "sRGB" because it will also change the brightness.)

I usually don't stick to the same calibration during the day. In the morning, I use "Native". In the evening, I use the first "User Color" profile above. The apparent white point seems to shift in the course of the day. "Native" gives me a pure white in the morning/noun. But when the sun starts to set, the screen seems to shift to red, at which point I switch to my "User Color."

I keep brightness at 20 throughout the day for normal monitor use, but will switch to 25 or 30 depending on whether I'm watching a movie or a sports broadcast. Games I usually keep at 20 too, but depending on the lighting I sometimes push it up to 25.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.