Glossy screen with GSync

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
lossofmercy

Re: Glossy screen with GSync

Post by lossofmercy » 18 Feb 2018, 11:15

This is the green bar I saw. It's actually all over the screen. Gradually disappeared after 5 mins.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bh85lt ... sp=sharing

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 18 Feb 2018, 12:55

RMA the monitor ASAP.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

lossofmercy

Post by lossofmercy » 18 Feb 2018, 15:10

Ok, I sent a request to RMA. Waiting on shipping notification.

I just did two things. I bought a new DP cable to see if it would solve anything, and it definitely didn't solve the restart problem (and to be fair, I wasn't expecting it to). Second thing is I used a laptop to see if it would display anything on restart and it DID. But this is a lenovo thinkpad... it doesn't have a graphics card. But this makes me wonder if there is anything with the driver/configuration that's messing up the restart. That would really suck.

I also restarted with both HDMI and DP connected to the main computer. This didn't work for either HDMI nor displayport. The only way to restart with this computer seems to be with HDMI plugged in only.
Last edited by lossofmercy on 18 Feb 2018, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Feb 2018, 15:10

Yeah, that looks like a warranty claim.

Sorry to see this. I've never seen this on any of my GSYNC monitors (whether overclocked or not) so I have to say this is an unusual artifact.

Hope shipping isn't a fortune from where you are!

And hope that the two problems (DisplayPort restart, artifact) are linked rather than independent. That means it could be the graphics card, too.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lossofmercy

Post by lossofmercy » 18 Feb 2018, 16:39

I really hope it's not. Graphics card prices are insane. Plus, I have been using this 980 for the past 3.5 years without issues. Granted, using the DVI port with a 1080p 60 monitor, but still.

Ok, so I reseated the graphics card, and I still basically have the same issue. At least I learned that if I have the monitor in HDMI mode, then I can restart the computer without issues. So it just really sucks instead of really really sucks.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Feb 2018, 17:58

The prices on graphics cards are pure insanity!

The cryptocurrency mining craze has really inflated the prices of high end GPUs, to the point where it's almost cheaper to buy a basic gaming computer containing the desired graphics card -- than to try to buy the same graphics card solo!

The graphics card I bought for my new computer is now 50% more expensive at Canada Computers.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lossofmercy

Post by lossofmercy » 23 Feb 2018, 21:04

Just received the newly shipped monitor. Unfortunately, still the same issue with DP on startup. Will play around with it this weekend to see if the green bar issue shows up.

Also, upgrading my cpu+mobo... so that will be good try this with a completely fresh install.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Feb 2018, 23:25

If the green lines issues have disappeared, then at least the warranty claim was still worth it!

Let me know if the problem still happens. It will help future users who might be hunting for information about the exact same problem. It's annoying when you have two simultaneous defects (of totally different causes), hope you can fix the DisplayPort.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 24 Feb 2018, 03:44

See if there's a firmware update for your GPU.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

lossofmercy

Post by lossofmercy » 25 Feb 2018, 13:55

Finally rebuilt the PC. Took way too long. On the plus side, the cable management looks very good except for one.

So far, restarting without any problems. Updating drivers + windows update... hopefully it sticks.