Gsync + Borderless + Frame cap issues

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
jorimt

Re: Gsync + Borderless + Frame cap issues

Post by jorimt » 01 Apr 2018, 10:52

sfbb2 wrote:@jorimt, Yeah I am using Windows 10 1709, but I have the feature that includes fullscreen optimizations completely removed.

Most games some sort of tweaking with nvidia profile or rtss to work well, but g-sync borderless has worked generally well for me prior to 390.77. Driver version 390.65 works great, but everything after that has been pretty bad.

For example, HotS I use 141 fps cap with v2 limiter in 390.65 and it is very smooth. With 390.77+ it is terrible - gets a bit better using the default instead of v2 limiter but still not as good as 390.65.
I see. Perhaps then in your specific case, it could actually be Nvidia's framerate limiter that is changing its behavior in the latest drivers, and not G-SYNC's borderless/windowed mode?

FYI, when I tested Nvidia's FPS limiter with G-SYNC (https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync ... ttings/11/), they weren't very compatible, and there was considerably more lag at the same FPS limit when compared to RTSS.

Have you attempted the same configuration in those games but with RTSS instead, and if so, is it any better?

If you have, and G-SYNC borderless/windowed mode is still acting up, then yes, it is probably related to the driver. I don't personally use the mode enough to tell a difference from driver to driver, and if the game doesn't have it's own limiter (or the in-game limiter has poor frame pacing), I only use RTSS.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Apr 2018, 12:58

I, myself, feel like an Angry Monkey at my PC when the OS bugs start monkeying with what looked good before.

One moment, window VRR looked good, and then an OS + driver upgrade later, windowed VRR stops looking good. And I can't remember what the heck I did.

Full screen is dandy though.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 01 Apr 2018, 14:06

Yes, it's probably exacerbated by the fact that G-SYNC borderless/windowed mode must bypass/rejigger/exploit the Window DWM to do its work. So I assume any change at the OS level (e.g. Windows updates) that affects that aspect can cause enough of a discrepancy to create these nagging issues.

There's also probably a lag between when something like this changes at the OS level, and when the Nvidia driver team finally gets enough reports from users and/or finds it themselves before the problem is diagnosed and the fix is made. Knowing what I do, I'm surprised the mode works at all, honestly.

Obviously exclusive fullscreen (sans the often random effect of the fullscreen optimizations option) will thankfully never have this issue, but it's still unfortunate for multitaskers (and others) that prefer and/or must have borderless G-SYNC mode.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 02 Apr 2018, 14:04

I only updated Windows 10 to 1709 today. Basically, a dialog appeared shortly after logging in that said I have to update, "or else." (They were going to completely disable Windows update for systems not running 1709.)

After I had to give in to Microsoft's blackmail and did the update, I now too get a "hiccup" effect every second or so with windowed mode gsync. Was working perfectly fine before with the bad version of Windows. The good version of Windows broke it. I'm interested to see how many other improvements Microsoft will implement in future updates.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.