SLI + Gsync: Vsync vs Vsync (smooth)??

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
prometheusdt

SLI + Gsync: Vsync vs Vsync (smooth)??

Post by prometheusdt » 23 Feb 2018, 18:57

I recently went SLI and noticed that there's a new Vsync option: "Vsync (Smooth)". Before SLI, I used RTSS (2 frames below monitor) + Vsync + Gsync. Now that I have SLI, should I use Vsync or "Vsync (smooth)"?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: SLI + Gsync: Vsync vs Vsync (smooth)??

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Feb 2018, 23:33

prometheusdt wrote:I recently went SLI and noticed that there's a new Vsync option: "Vsync (Smooth)". Before SLI, I used RTSS (2 frames below monitor) + Vsync + Gsync. Now that I have SLI, should I use Vsync or "Vsync (smooth)"?
I don't think it matters if you're using RTSS to keep framerates below GSYNC max.

The sync setting (VSYNC ON/OFF/Smooth) only engages for transient frametimes briefly shorter than refresh cycle times. (Basically specific frames that begin to be forced to wait for the monitor to finish its previous refresh cycle).

VSYNC Smooth AFR is more useful if you don't use GSYNC, so don't use it.
It has benefits but not if you're already capping a few frames per second below Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

prometheusdt

Re: SLI + Gsync: Vsync vs Vsync (smooth)??

Post by prometheusdt » 26 Feb 2018, 12:48

Got it. Thanks for the advice.