[Rocket League] Need tips for best setup with ASUS PG258Q

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Melander86

Re: [Rocket League] Need tips for best setup with ASUS PG258

Post by Melander86 » 07 Mar 2018, 13:59

RealNC wrote:Many monitors only support 120Hz ULMB, that's correct. Some can do 144Hz too or higher. It depends on the monitor.

For ULMB, RTSS as the FPS limiter works best. In-game limiters are usually not accurate enough. The sub-1ms accuracy of RTSS is needed in order to use the "low-latency vsync" trick if you want to use vsync (gives the best results when using ULMB.)

The low latency vsync method is described here:

https://www.blurbusters.com/howto-low-lag-vsync-on/

I also have a post on Guru3D on this, showing how to configure RTSS to get a fractional FPS cap:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/the-t ... st-5380262

However, for just trying out ULMB to see if you actually like it, you don't need to do the above yet. If you end up not liking how ULMB looks at all, then there's no point in going through the above steps to figure out the exact cap you need and editing the RTSS config file.

If you use ULMB without vsync, then you don't need to do the above either. It's only useful for reducing vsync latency, and with vsync off, there's no vsync latency, obviously.
Thanks a bunch. And when using ULMB do I use capped or uncapped FPS?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 07 Mar 2018, 14:02

Melander86 wrote:Thanks a bunch. And when using ULMB do I use capped or uncapped FPS?
With vsync on, capped FPS (as described in the "low latency vsync" links above) is a must. Otherwise you'll get too much input lag.

With vsync off, you can leave it uncapped, since really high frame rates (like 300FPS) have very little tearing anyway. Although ULMB amplifies the tearing effect and makes it more severe (because the image is so clear with ULMB, every little imperfection is more visible.) I guess just try and see if it bothers you or not.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Melander86

Post by Melander86 » 07 Mar 2018, 14:16

Thx man! Your are my personal MVP of the day. :)

7bhsq

Post by 7bhsq » 07 Mar 2018, 23:15

I have the same monitor. While it is easily the least user friendly option, G-Sync+ULMB looks and feels absolutely fantastic on games that have solid performance. I don't play Rocket League, but from what I see from videos, it looks like a good fit for this unofficial display mode. I would also like to point out that this trick is also great for games that don't run higher than 60 fps, so you don't have to create a separate 60Hz ULMB display mode.

vital84

Post by vital84 » 01 Oct 2018, 06:56

hello all

nice thread. first sorry for my bad english

I try using G-Sync on rocket league but i have micro stutters and less tearing . i dont no why ?

my monitor have G-sync 144hz from Asus

Nvidia Settings:
G-sync on
V-sync on

Ingame Settings :

V-sync OFF
Frame Cap @ 141 FPS

i dont no why the game run smoother without Gsync @ 250 FPS
i try disconnect my 2nd Monitor close other programms how Discord , Chrome etc. but nothing help
the game dont run smooth with G-Sync i cant understand why

i hope anyone can help me with this Problem.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 01 Oct 2018, 07:04

As a test, disconnect all other monitors, then reboot, then make sure you run the game in exclusive fullscreen mode.

Also, in the NVidia control panel, enable the g-sync indicator overlay to make sure g-sync is active in the game. Go to the g-sync section, and in the menu in the top of the window, in the "Display" menu (I think) enable the g-sync indicator. You should now see a "G-SYNC" logo in the left of the screen. If not, then g-sync doesn't work for some reason.

While in-game, use your monitor's OSD to verify it's running in 144Hz mode.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

vital84

Post by vital84 » 01 Oct 2018, 07:26

Yes the Game run fullscreen mode

Nvidia Settings is g-Sync full and window Mode enabled

Yes i Look at Monitor osd that Show 144 hz Mode and gsync Mode

Only i dont try to reboot

But i Not at pc atm . I Test later

vital84

Post by vital84 » 01 Oct 2018, 13:04

Edit: if i uncheck and again check in the nvidia settings The Gsync Options nothing comes but you say musst show left of the screeen a Gsync logo, but nothing but my monitor LED is Red for G-sync Mode .

and in the OSD from monitor i can look that is in the g-sync mode

open

Post by open » 01 Oct 2018, 14:27

if you want to know 100% if gsync is on or off on that monitor: hit the menu button that brings up the "game plus" menu. It should be the largest button in the middle. Then select "FPS Counter". You will see the refresh rate of the monitor in yellow text in the top right corner. If the refresh rate changes at all then you are in gsync. If the number stays the same then you are not in gsync.

For other settings I recommend using "racing mode" because other modes tend to reduce potential contrast, or color differentiation.
For "OD" select "normal"
For contrast select 50.
For gamma select "2.4". 2.4 was actually tested to be closer to the desired gamma for computer monitors.
For brightness change to your liking.
I would leave adaptive contrast and dark boost off.

vital84

Post by vital84 » 02 Oct 2018, 05:40

@open i dont use ASUS PG258

my monitor is ROG PG278Q it has not this options