So is there a way to get rid of flickering?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
djerelle

So is there a way to get rid of flickering?

Post by djerelle » 07 Mar 2018, 13:13

Hello, I have an (two) Acer XB240H monitors that I want to use gsync on but I've always run into problems with gsync flickering.

I play mostly League of Legends and pubg and I get flickering in the lobbies.
My PC specs are
i7 4790k
GTX 1080
32gb dddr3 1666 hz ram
SSDs

Is this flickering normal? Like when the frames go from 140 to 120 in the lobby it'll flicker the whole monitor a little.

Also I'd like the consensus on what vsync settings to use with my gsync. Should I have a vsync on?
Thanks chief

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: So is there a way to get rid of flickering?

Post by RealNC » 07 Mar 2018, 13:22

I've heard of flicker on some monitors when using gsync. Never had this myself. It seems only TN panels suffer from this? (I'm using IPS.) It doesn't seem like something that's fixable on your end. Personally I would return monitors that have this issue, as that's a defect IMO, but that's just me.

As for setting, everything you ever wanted to know (and then some) can be found here:

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync ... -settings/

It has 14 sections. The most important ones are those dealing with frame limiting. But it's worth reading through it anyway, because then you'll know not only how to configure everything, but also why the "best" setup works so well.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

djerelle

Post by djerelle » 07 Mar 2018, 13:35

Okay interesting point about only TN monitors having it. I can't return them as its been years since I got them.

I'll read through that guide again I've given it a couple look overs already.

So now my second question arises, my monitor also has ULMB blur reduction, so if I choose not to go with the gsync should I use ULMB over fixed refresh?

Edit: Im in a league game right now and with gsync every second i get a microstutter

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 07 Mar 2018, 13:52

ULMB is fixed refresh. It just enables backlight strobing to reduce motion blur. Refresh rate is not affected. Whether you want to use it or not depends on whether you prefer clearer motion (ULMB) vs stutter-free, lag-free and tear-free gameplay (gsync.)
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

djerelle

Post by djerelle » 07 Mar 2018, 13:54

Well only problem with that statement is that gsync doesnt provide me stutter-free nor tear-free gameplay so I guess I'll enable ULMB, I dnt like that i have to be in 120hz or less mode though

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 07 Mar 2018, 13:59

If you get tearing with gsync, then it's not working correctly :-/

Did you configure gsync correctly? Meaning:

Make sure it's enabled in the nvcp.
Choose "highest available" in the "preferred refresh rate" setting in the 3D settings in nvcp.
Enable vsync in nvcp.
Disable vsync in-game.
Cap your frame rate to 141FPS using the in-game frame limiter, or with RTSS if the game doesn't have a limiter.

djerelle

Post by djerelle » 07 Mar 2018, 14:11

I had it enabled but I didnt cap it with Rivatuner, I'll give that a try to see if it helps anything.

What should I have as vertical sync in the nvcp? I have it on application setting
edit: nvm you said

djerelle

Post by djerelle » 07 Mar 2018, 15:51

So after doing some reading of the GSYNC 101 I'm thinking its these frametime spikes

Any ways to reduce remove frametime spikes? I have a good PC and I'm playing popular optimized games

djerelle

Post by djerelle » 07 Mar 2018, 17:38

Okay I learned that microstutters were caused by playing a 60 fps video on my second monitor while i play

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 07 Mar 2018, 20:16

Multimonitor setups are still causing issues with gsync. Try and completely disconnect the second monitor and see what the results are.