G-sync with old windows games and emulators

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Magichost

G-sync with old windows games and emulators

Post by Magichost » 15 Mar 2018, 11:49

So if I use the Max-fps command in conjunction with G-sync with old windows games like SiN and Turok the dinosaur hunter (original versions) will it help the game play like it did originally and eliminate surges and stutter? Also is there any time table when all the different emulators are going to start using exclusive full-screen mode to get more exact timing to eliminate stutter with G-sync?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: G-sync with old windows games and emulators

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Mar 2018, 14:01

Magichost wrote:So if I use the Max-fps command in conjunction with G-sync with old windows games like SiN and Turok the dinosaur hunter (original versions) will it help the game play like it did originally and eliminate surges and stutter?
Compatibility with older games depends on how the game behaves, but ideally you want to cap the framerate of the game below your monitor's maximum Hertz. Even using RTSS to cap the framerate below Hz, will be much less lag than VSYNC ON.

Even 60fps-capped console ports can have dramatic lag reductions on 144Hz and 240Hz GSYNC monitors, thanks to the faster-velocity scanouts (e.g. 60fps frames scanned-out to the LCD panel in 1/144sec or 1/240sec). Done properly, with good frame pacing, it can look as smooth as VSYNC ON 60Hz, but without the lag.

Now, stutters can be a problem if the original game has poor frame rate pacing. However, RTSS software will help with some of the framepacing problems of some game engines, and smooth the framepacing -- which GSYNC/FreeSync does a great job of. e.g. RTSS 141fps cap at 144Hz, will allow your old 3D games to look exactly if they were running a on a perfect VSYNC ON 141fps @ 141Hz monitor (if such a monitor existed) -- functionally the same as VSYNC ON 144Hz except without the input lag of traditional VSYNC ON.

That said, your mileage will vary -- some games are extremely difficult to coax to run smoothly under VRR. Numerous tricks have been devised (some game-dependant) to make them run much more smoothly under variable refresh rates.

Full screen exclusive mode can be a problem with many emulators. The best thing to do is ask the emulator author to add full screen exclusive mode, with the argument that such modes reduces input lag.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 15 Mar 2018, 14:17

Didn't Jorim's tests show that windowed mode gsync has exactly the same input lag as exclusive fullscreen gsync?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Mar 2018, 14:52

Yes, that's if you can bypass the compositor lag which Windows 10 game mode can. But if you want to avoid lag universally (more OS, and non-GSYNC), emulator authors are encouraged to support full screen exclusive mode as an additional option that does reduce lag on some systems depending on their setup. Also windowed GSYNC has had some framepacing bugs recently (driver bugs or OS bugs).

It's still a good excuse to give to emulator authors that full screen exclusive mode, to bypass all this inconvenient malarkey. ;)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Magichost

Post by Magichost » 15 Mar 2018, 16:58

Thanks guys! My system specs are Windows 7 64 bit Os, Core i5 4670 3.4 Ghz cpu and a gtx 1050 video card. I am thinking of upgrading to the Acer predator 24" monitor, thus my post. BTW chief, good work on finding out the cause of the micro-stutter in emulators. Stuttering in ultra smooth games like final fantasy 2 and 3 played on higan and wild arms on mednafen are driving me crazy. Thanks again.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Mar 2018, 17:36

You're welcome!

I believe you're referring to the suggestion I've contributed to the RetroArch team about recommending microsecond-accurate framepacing.
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/i ... -367051314

<ADVANCED EMULATOR AUTHORS>
Also, for non-VRR users, I have a new Twitter thread (sent to byuu) about a lagless raster-synchronized VSYNC OFF mode that emulator authors could potentially add to emulators. I've copy and pasted some of that discussion to Blur Busters Lagless Raster-Follower Algorithm for Emulator Developers. This could bring real-device-matching near zero input lag (like a real console) with no emulation framebuffer delay except a small raster trailbehind delay for PC performance jitters (~0.5ms).
</ADVANCED EMULATOR AUTHORS>