G-sync stutter when switching on and off?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
SAMURAIWARRIOR13

G-sync stutter when switching on and off?

Post by SAMURAIWARRIOR13 » 15 Apr 2018, 18:30

A question I have about g-sync is, If say I had a 144hz g-sync monitor and a video games fps flexes between say 160fps and 100fps wouldn't that mean that g-sync would disable every time the games goes above 144fps and re-enable every time it goes below 144fps thus causing stuttering from switching back and forth from g-sync and v-sync?
Would fps capping like RTSS fix this?

lexlazootin

Re: G-sync stutter when switching on and off?

Post by lexlazootin » 15 Apr 2018, 20:24

G-Sync turning off and on is pretty flawless and doesn't cause stutters, what will happen is that your G-Sync will turn off when your fps reaches 143+ and standard tearing will kick in.

That's if you have V-Sync off, if you have V-Sync on it will just reach 144hz and V-Sync will be enabled.

RTSS or inbuilt frame capping will prevent this, with RTSS you need to be at least 2 frames below maximum refresh rate and with in game caps it can be hard to say. I personally just run a -5 cap just to be safe :P

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: G-sync stutter when switching on and off?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Apr 2018, 21:29

SAMURAIWARRIOR13 wrote:A question I have about g-sync is, If say I had a 144hz g-sync monitor and a video games fps flexes between say 160fps and 100fps wouldn't that mean that g-sync would disable every time the games goes above 144fps and re-enable every time it goes below 144fps thus causing stuttering from switching back and forth from g-sync and v-sync?
Would fps capping like RTSS fix this?
GSYNC + VSYNC OFF will cause momentary stuttering to reappear as you cross the 144fps+ threshold.
GSYNC + FastSync will also have this issue.

If you never want to see stuttering, use either:
1. GSYNC + VSYNC ON
2. Use in-game cap or RTSS cap (then GSYNC + VSYNC OFF versus GSYNC + VSYNC ON generally doesn't matter)
3. If your framerates are always hitting the cap semi-permanently, then consider upgrade to a 240Hz GSYNC monitor.

From Jorim's GSYNC 101, capping is a superior way to completely avoid stutters & tearing without the lag-increase of hitting the GSYNC maximum.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!