Getting back in the groove with G-Sync & Emulation

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
BlackGuyRX

Getting back in the groove with G-Sync & Emulation

Post by BlackGuyRX » 05 Jun 2018, 01:27

Alright, it's been a while since I've tried to really mess with G-sync and RA so i'm gonna try again and I need help from anyone who can offer assistance. I've got a AOC G2460PG 144hz G-Sync monitor and running Win10. RetroArch is my emulation platform of choice but i've never been able to get it completely get along with G-Sync. Even when I think i've figured it out, there's still some minor audio stutter or scrolling isn't smooth and slight judder creeps in. I've come across jerry-rigged settings from different users but no real 100% fix-all so far.

I'm trying to figure out how I can run RA and actually have it properly utilize G-Sync, assuming it even can....
I just want buttery-smooth scrolling without stuttering sound or whatever else might happen and I'm at my wit's end.

lossofmercy

Re: Getting back in the groove with G-Sync & Emulation

Post by lossofmercy » 08 Jun 2018, 09:08

I am with you, we need a standardized config for gsync that people can lookup easily. This is definitely on my list once I get better.

My goal is to get ULMB working with retroarch too.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Jun 2018, 23:15

With ULMB -- make sure you use the ULMB 60 Hz hack.

With GSYNC, I got some info that these RetroArch settings help a lot:

GSYNC turned on in NVIDIA Control Panel
Audio Sync: On
audio_rate_control = "false"
Vsync in RetroArch: Off
Vsync in Nvidia Control Panel: On
Maximum runspeed: 1
Windows Power Plan: Performance

If you get any improved RetroArch settings, post them here. Thanks!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Jun 2018, 23:18

More settings:
wenarlin wrote:im using retroarch, and it is going fine
You need to "audio sync on" - this is the main, and the only stable framethrottling method
You also need to run "high perfomance" profile in windows power options
You need to configure you audio interface like this Image - this need for audio sync - to work properly

Finally here is my RA config file:
http://puu.sh/zuhJi/64f2fd81d9.zip
just edit it, and enter correct refresh rate for you monitor (my is 165hz)
again: The main options for G-sync setup is:
audio sync=on
v-sync=off
hard GPU sync=on
hard GPU sync frames=0
max swapchain images=1 (this is for minimum input lag)
threated video: off (this is for minimum input lag)
Do not use "frame throttle" - it is cause huge stutter !

Sorry for my english - im from Russla :D
good luck! retroarch with g-sync - it is a real mind blowing expirience - this is like gaming on real console with CRT TV
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

BlackGuyRX

Post by BlackGuyRX » 18 Jun 2018, 00:44

Chief Blur Buster wrote:More settings:
wenarlin wrote:im using retroarch, and it is going fine
You need to "audio sync on" - this is the main, and the only stable framethrottling method
You also need to run "high perfomance" profile in windows power options
You need to configure you audio interface like this Image - this need for audio sync - to work properly

Finally here is my RA config file:
http://puu.sh/zuhJi/64f2fd81d9.zip
just edit it, and enter correct refresh rate for you monitor (my is 165hz)
again: The main options for G-sync setup is:
audio sync=on
v-sync=off
hard GPU sync=on
hard GPU sync frames=0
max swapchain images=1 (this is for minimum input lag)
threated video: off (this is for minimum input lag)
Do not use "frame throttle" - it is cause huge stutter !

Sorry for my english - im from Russla :D
good luck! retroarch with g-sync - it is a real mind blowing expirience - this is like gaming on real console with CRT TV
Hey there, sorry for not replying earlier. Tried all these and so far, I still appear to see some minor stutter....
When I get the chance, i'm gonna go over these steps, probably more thoroughly than before to see if I get different results.