Gsync - stutters above 60 fps and below 120 fps / TRACKIR

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Goa

Re: Gsync - stutters above 60 fps and below 120 fps / TRACKI

Post by Goa » 22 Jun 2018, 03:42

Vleeswolf wrote:TrackIR 5 updates at a fixed 120 Hz. It is impossible to get a smooth and responsive motion at other frame rates than integer divisors or multiples of 120 Hz. You can increase the smoothing/Interpolation in the TrackIR software to deal with other frame rates a bit better, but this will sacrifice responsiveness.

You best bet is limiting frame rate to 60, which in your case is very feasible because the hardware is strong enough. For DCS and Arma 3 60 Hz is perfectly fine.

In-game rate limiting options are available:
- DCS: in the graphics.lua file in the main directory/Config: change maxfps to 60. (Default is 180 I think)
- Arma 3: on game start do the following:
Hold left shift, tap keypad minus, release left shift
type “fps” (without quotes) The game should report it will limit to 60. If you do this again, it will limit to 40, then to 20, and then be unlimited again.

As said above as well: run those games in full screen exclusive mode to ensure gsync works.

Good luck!
HI mate thanks for your kind reply.

I already limited/capped the fps by using MSI Rivaturner at 60fps and by leaving refresh rate at 144 , it seems a bit smoother to me compared to limiting the monitor refresh at 60hz.
I already changed the graphics.lua in DCS by deleting the max_fps line which seem to improve the smoothness and reducing stuttering rather than changing /limiting the max_fps to 60.

As for your above statement "You can increase the smoothing/Interpolation in the TrackIR software to deal with other frame rates a bit better, but this will sacrifice responsiveness." : do you mean increasing the smooth option in trackir or is there any other option?

And by the way my last question: as I opened and followed other discussion on ED forum about the problem of trackir, other guys are not affected by this problem, how is it possible??

Vleeswolf

Post by Vleeswolf » 22 Jun 2018, 04:11

Some people just don’t notice the stutter, or they have cranked up the smoothing so high it masks the mismatched update frequencies. Yes, I mean the smoothing parameter in the TrackIR software, but I recommended turning it down. Instead limit to 60 FPS with ingame limiter, not RTSS/Afterburner, definitely not both. You are right it is better to keep monitor refresh rate as high as possible if you have a gsync screen.

Goa

Post by Goa » 22 Jun 2018, 05:21

Vleeswolf wrote:Some people just don’t notice the stutter, or they have cranked up the smoothing so high it masks the mismatched update frequencies. Yes, I mean the smoothing parameter in the TrackIR software, but I recommended turning it down. Instead limit to 60 FPS with ingame limiter, not RTSS/Afterburner, definitely not both. You are right it is better to keep monitor refresh rate as high as possible if you have a gsync screen.
Thanks again,
Why do you suggest limiting the fps with the ingame limiter rather than using msi riva turner? Is it because of latenct that these software generate?

As for deleting the max_fps line from graphics lua many gamers have as I myself noticed a smooth increase of the game rather than just limting the fps to 60.

P.S: do you play dcs with trackir and a gsync monitor? just curiosity ;)

Vleeswolf

Post by Vleeswolf » 22 Jun 2018, 08:28

Yep, I play DCS and Arma 3 like that. I have a 1080ti and 7700k as well :-) with an Asus pg348q Gsync screen. I did not observe smoother motion with RTSS instead of in-game limiting, but it might be that game limiting leads to even less buffering, leading to higher chance of hiccups.

RTSS frame limiting is generally OK, but ingame limiting tends to be even better in terms of responsiveness. I’m not really a fan of the inject-a-dll-in-every-running-process that RTSS does, however.

Goa

Post by Goa » 22 Jun 2018, 09:43

Vleeswolf wrote:Yep, I play DCS and Arma 3 like that. I have a 1080ti and 7700k as well :-) with an Asus pg348q Gsync screen. I did not observe smoother motion with RTSS instead of in-game limiting, but it might be that game limiting leads to even less buffering, leading to higher chance of hiccups.

RTSS frame limiting is generally OK, but ingame limiting tends to be even better in terms of responsiveness. I’m not really a fan of the inject-a-dll-in-every-running-process that RTSS does, however.
Well I am glad I am not the only one having this issue!! :lol: :lol:

Do you play with vsync on or off in game?? (and what about nvcp vsync)

Thanks!!

Vleeswolf

Post by Vleeswolf » 22 Jun 2018, 11:04

In the NVIDIA control panel: vsync on (ie forced).
In-game doesn’t really matter for DCS or Arma 3, I have them off. Some other games have different results but these two it’s not really important. Some games (like Prey 2017) have a frame rate limiter that only works if their vsync is off.

Goa

Post by Goa » 23 Jun 2018, 05:18

Vleeswolf wrote:In the NVIDIA control panel: vsync on (ie forced).
In-game doesn’t really matter for DCS or Arma 3, I have them off. Some other games have different results but these two it’s not really important. Some games (like Prey 2017) have a frame rate limiter that only works if their vsync is off.
Hi ,
I tried again by setting max fps from graphics.lua to 60fps but it generates stutters and the fps are not lock at 60 but something between 55-60 which is not smooth at all.
By deleting the max_fps line and setting max fps 60 via RTSS it is smooth as silk.