Gsync - stutters above 60 fps and below 120 fps / TRACKIR

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Goa

Gsync - stutters above 60 fps and below 120 fps / TRACKIR

Post by Goa » 19 Jun 2018, 09:39

Hi all,

first of all I apologise for my bad english and I hope I'll be able to describe the problem I am having.

I use a trackir 5 device for playing my favourite games ( DCS and ARMA3) , and these are my specs:

I7 7700K
32GB ram
1080ti
Monitor: Asus PG278QR 144/165hz

By using this device ( trackIR 5) if fps are at stable 60fps or 120 fps (and beyond) the game is perfectly smooth, any value between 60 and 120 fps would generate stutter/jittery.
The game is rendering between 60-120 fps but the it looks like 20-30 fps when using trackir, this a video I recorded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlCmUj340aU

Gsync is ON, vsync is ON, fps limited by RSST at 141fps, windows 10 is properly tweeked and updated, all drivers are updated etc etc.

I've tried all sort of combination gsync+vsync on ( off in game), viceversa, gync disabled, fixed refresh rate etc etc.

Could it be some sort of usb polling rate of the trackir device? this device is officialy working at 120fps but even if setting the monitor refresh rate to 120 and limiting fps to 117 via IRSST nothing change.

With trackir device disabled the game is perfectly smooth, when I activate it the game is displaying a 60~141 fps (depending on the situation) but I have a lot of jittery.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Gsync - stutters above 60 fps and below 120 fps / TRACKI

Post by RealNC » 19 Jun 2018, 13:44

Have you tried 144Hz with RTSS set to 120FPS?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Goa

Post by Goa » 19 Jun 2018, 14:02

RealNC wrote:Have you tried 144Hz with RTSS set to 120FPS?
yes sure I tried but there is no difference, the game is smooth only at costant 60fps , 120 fps or higher, any value/fluctuation of fps between 60 and 120 would generate jittery when using trackir device.

Do you have any tips to properly setup gsync appart the one of the guide present on this forum?
I appears that it is some sort of fps latency between the fps generated by the gpu and those of the trackir device....

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 19 Jun 2018, 14:35

This doesn't look like something you can fix on the monitor's side or something that's g-sync related. If MSI Afterburner doesn't show spikes in the frametime graph, then there's nothing to fix. It's just the game that looks like that. You should probably ask about it on the game's forums.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Jun 2018, 21:34

Try keyboard strafing.

Is everything smooth with the keyboard at these odd framerates?

Some low-Hz tracking devices have a stutter issue at low poll frequencies.

The harmonic-frequency / beat-frequency issues can amplify/reduce stutters with many combinations:

-- Frame rate versus refresh rate
-- Frame rate versus mouse report rate
-- Refresh rate versus mouse report rate
Stutters can be beat frequency effects between two frequencies.
Etc.

So it can get worse when you go away from 62.5fps or 125fps, while looking perfect at capped 62.5fps, 125fps, 250fps.

So to rule this out, try temporarily keyboard strafing.
Is it perfect smooth when you strafe sideways in front of a wall edges?
If yes... then it's your tracking device that's doing the microstuttering.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Goa

Post by Goa » 20 Jun 2018, 09:39

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Try keyboard strafing.

Is everything smooth with the keyboard at these odd framerates?

Some low-Hz tracking devices have a stutter issue at low poll frequencies.

The harmonic-frequency / beat-frequency issues can amplify/reduce stutters with many combinations:

-- Frame rate versus refresh rate
-- Frame rate versus mouse report rate
-- Refresh rate versus mouse report rate
Stutters can be beat frequency effects between two frequencies.
Etc.

So it can get worse when you go away from 62.5fps or 125fps, while looking perfect at capped 62.5fps, 125fps, 250fps.

So to rule this out, try temporarily keyboard strafing.
Is it perfect smooth when you strafe sideways in front of a wall edges?
If yes... then it's your tracking device that's doing the microstuttering.
Thanks Chief
what do you mean by keaboard strafing?'
How am I supposed to run that testing?

Edit : maybe I got it, when I disable trackir device and using keyboard to move around the airplance cockpit with numkey pad on the keyboard, the game is perfectly smooth, no stutters no jittery, as soon as I re-enable the trackir device and move my head to pan around the stutters reaper.

I'am trying to investigate this problem from long long time ( at least 1 year), other have this issue with Gsync monitor , others do not have this problem and are running same hardware.

I dont know if i am allowed to post a link of another forum here where the guys better explaing the problem, in case just please delete it

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=157406
also this one

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=176131

As you can see this problem appears in conjuction with g-sync monitors.

Thanks for your kind support, this is the best forum for G-sync monitors!!!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Jun 2018, 15:32

Yup.

Yes, that's what I meant; make things pan around by keyboard (scrolling, strafing, panning, whatever) ... if it's not stuttering by keyboard then your stutter problem is definitely not the display/graphics fault.

The problem is probably your tracking device and/or its drivers.

Your tracking device is adding stuttering. Some games and some drivers have a smoothing setting which might help (interpolated / filtering). It adds lag but it can get rid of tracking stutters if the tracking interpolation is good enough for the high Hz. Anything that helps your tracking device. Firmware upgrade? Driver upgrade? Settings? Etc.

There may be configuration settings you can change. Settings that improve lag can amplify stutters, so try disabling them temporarily (smoothing etc) and see if that helps. It's a pick-your-poison but a slight input lag is unimportant for most simulators so shouldn't be a problem.

GSYNC works best with 1000Hz+ input devices to avoid microstuttering generated from harmonic frequency / beat frequency effects between varying frame rate & tracking device report rate.

Other people playing at 60Hz probably won't have the problem if the tracking device was designed for good 60Hz operation.

No worries, links to other forums are allowed in most cases.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Goa

Post by Goa » 21 Jun 2018, 09:50

hi Chief and thanks for your kind reply.

Well the problem is that there a few gamers I know who have the same hardware and monitor and they're not facing this problem.
Morover even by disabling the gsync and running the monitor at fixed refresh rate and vsync on or off/fast speed etc etc the stutter is still there with this trackir device.
I have swaped my trackir device and used another unit from a friend, the problem is still there.

Could it be some sort of "gsync" module defected batch ?

I read hundreds of pages and tried all sort of tweeking, drivers updating, game reinstall, windows reinstall, etc etc.

I also bought an external pci.express usb 3.0 card which has a fresco logic chipset reccomended for those running oculis rift ( and recomended by oculis rift themselves) and attached the trackir device onto it, stuttering is still there.

The stutter appears only when using the device therefore when moving my head.

Is there any way to properly turn off GSYNC other than unticking the option from nvidia panel?

P.S. I also purchased a VESA certifid cable ( 3 meters) from amazon , it is an amazon basic which is stated as VESA certified, no change on monitor behaviour.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Jun 2018, 15:09

These pesky configurations can really be stumping.

Here's a new theory; are you sure GSYNC is enabled?

Windows Spring Update broke windowed GSYNC.
Are you using true full screen exclusive mode instead of borderless windowed mode?

Vleeswolf

Post by Vleeswolf » 22 Jun 2018, 01:59

TrackIR 5 updates at a fixed 120 Hz. It is impossible to get a smooth and responsive motion at other frame rates than integer divisors or multiples of 120 Hz. You can increase the smoothing/Interpolation in the TrackIR software to deal with other frame rates a bit better, but this will sacrifice responsiveness.

You best bet is limiting frame rate to 60, which in your case is very feasible because the hardware is strong enough. For DCS and Arma 3 60 Hz is perfectly fine.

In-game rate limiting options are available:
- DCS: in the graphics.lua file in the main directory/Config: change maxfps to 60. (Default is 180 I think)
- Arma 3: on game start do the following:
Hold left shift, tap keypad minus, release left shift
type “fps” (without quotes) The game should report it will limit to 60. If you do this again, it will limit to 40, then to 20, and then be unlimited again.

As said above as well: run those games in full screen exclusive mode to ensure gsync works.

Good luck!