Motion smoothness of 240Hz vs gsync

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
ko4

Motion smoothness of 240Hz vs gsync

Post by ko4 » 16 Jul 2018, 14:44

I play competetive fps games and i noticed that beat-frequency stuttering can actually mess up my aim. fps dropping to the 80fps range on a 60hz monitor makes my eyes hurt and messes up my aim. I'm currently using a 60hz monitor oc'd to 76Hz and the beat-frequency stuttering/tearing is still there although not as bad as on 60Hz. I only find motion smooth if the fps is atleast 2x the refresh rate of the monitor.
I looked online and i found that g-sync could be what i'm looking for (motion smoothness without the input lag of vsync) , but i wonder if simply a high refresh rate monitor (240Hz) would also be able to produce a somewhat smooth image over an fps range of 70-300.
I understand that the beat-frequency stuttering and tearing will always be there if the fps != refreshrate but from my experience it is less noticeable the higher refresh rate of the monitor.

So has anyone here tried lets say 144hz gsync and also 240hz no gsync? how would you compare the motion smoothness of the 240hz monitor covering and fps range of 80-300 with the smoothness of an adaptively synced monitor

the easy answer to my question would be to get a 240hz gsync monitor but that is way over my price range lol, with the money i have i can either buy a 240hz monitor without gsync or an 144hz monitor with gsync

KKNDT

Re: Motion smoothness of 240Hz vs gsync

Post by KKNDT » 19 Jul 2018, 11:19

Here's my personal opinion.

Go for a 240HZ monitor if you mainly play competitive games such as CSGO, OW or others that you can easily push the frame rate much higher than 144. Otherwise you should buy a 144HZ GSYNC monitor.

Another factor is: the 240HZ panel has slightly better color performance than the old GEN 144HZ 1080P panel.

For "mistakes" caused by FPS/HZ mismatch:

Stutter:
- The numeral relations determines how often the stutter occurs. Big number MOD small number = stutters per second
- FPS determines how serious a stutter is.
- HZ determines how long a stutter is presented.

Tearing:
- The numeral relations determines how the tear line moves on your screen. Big number MOD small number = moving loops per second.
- FPS determines how often tearing occurs. FPS number = tearing per second, unless the tear line is hiden by VBI (Very small chance with VSYNC OFF)
- FPS also determines the offset between frame slices. Higher FPS = Tearing being less noticeable
- HZ determines how long a tear line is presented.

Also,
Lag:
- With VRR both enabled, higher HZ always has lower lag.
- With VSYNC OFF, higher HZ has lower average lag and smaller lag jitter.