Will G-Sync fix this problem?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Raevenne

Will G-Sync fix this problem?

Post by Raevenne » 25 Jul 2018, 18:38

My graphics in WoW look like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7x8cmlqgcs1d ... 1.mp4?dl=0

The fps is fine at 70-75 in populated areas like this one shown, and 90-100+ in less populated areas, but when turning the character or panning the camera, the graphics are choppy. My eyes feel like they're vibrating when I look at it.

I don't have issues with any other usage of the computer, just games. I also play RIFT (same sorts of issues there, but the game engine is so old that I'm pretty sure everyone has graphic issues in that game), LOTRO (ditto with the game engine) and FFXIV (I don't have as many issues in FF unless I dial up the graphics settings).

I have tried adjusting settings in WoW, in Windows, and the Nvidia Control Panel, but nothing fixes the problem, or even makes it better. I can turn down all the settings to the lowest level and remove all AA, and still see the same issue. Edit: Also, neither turning on vertical sync in the game or in Nvidia CP fixes the issue.

System: i7-3770k 3.5GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 960 4GB GDDR5, running Win8.1 64-bit.

So, my question is, will a g-sync monitor help me? I don't want to drop the cash unless I know it will fix the issue.

The only other "problem" with buying a g-sync monitor is that the latest patch in WoW has removed Fullscreen as an option, and people with g-sync monitors are having issues with that, though since I don't have a g-sync monitor, I don't fully understand the problems they are having. Perhaps someone here can shed some light on that.

Thanks!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Will G-Sync fix this problem?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Jul 2018, 16:26

Raevenne wrote:My graphics in WoW look like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7x8cmlqgcs1d ... 1.mp4?dl=0

The fps is fine at 70-75 in populated areas like this one shown, and 90-100+ in less populated areas, but when turning the character or panning the camera, the graphics are choppy. My eyes feel like they're vibrating when I look at it.
With a game that's sufficiently friendly to variable refresh rate, GSYNC certainly makes fluctuating framerates a lot more pleasant to look at -- simple animation demo at http://www.testufo.com/gsync ... (Make sure you quit everything and run that as the only browser window .... to eliminate browser stutters from interfering with the animation's simulated stutters).

However, WoW as an older game -- has historically had some GSYNC issues.
It can improve WoW at times but WoW isn't as friendly to GSYNC as newer games are.
Raevenne wrote:So, my question is, will a g-sync monitor help me? I don't want to drop the cash unless I know it will fix the issue.

The only other "problem" with buying a g-sync monitor is that the latest patch in WoW has removed Fullscreen as an option, and people with g-sync monitors are having issues with that, though since I don't have a g-sync monitor, I don't fully understand the problems they are having. Perhaps someone here can shed some light on that.
The current version of windowed mode GSYNC has more stutters than fullscreen mode GSYNC. Sometimes it can be fixed with hacks/tweaks. Basically it feels like(in a way)it's as if GSYNC is temporarily disabled because of the Windows/drivers bug.

Specifically for WoW (a pre-GSYNC game), one solution is to cap to 60fps (Via RTSS) and use RTSS to try to smooth the framepacing of WoW while using NVIDIA "Fast Sync". It's a lower frame rate that is sometimes laggier, but the WoW-choppiness can go down. A double-edged sword.

Capping to 60fps on a GSYNC/FreeSync monitor is also lower-lag than capping to 60fps on a non-GSYNC/FreeSync monitor so even if you don't milk the high-Hz or varying-framerate GSYNC benefits, you may still get get lag-reducing benefits. The question is -- do you play other games other than WoW that may also benefit much more from GSYNC? That could tip the scales.

Many pre-GSYNC games will work fine with GSYNC, it's just certain games like WoW seems to have some issues.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Raevenne

Re: Will G-Sync fix this problem?

Post by Raevenne » 27 Jul 2018, 16:46

Hmmm. Thanks for all the info. I don't play anything other than MMO games generally--WoW, RIFT, LOTRO, FFXIV. FFXIV is the only game I don't have trouble in (unless I turn up the graphics really high, which I expect to happen). From what I understand, the game engines for RIFT and LOTRO are so old that there's no way to make the graphics any better for anyone, so I don't even try anymore.

I'm considering buying an ASUS ROG 24" G-sync monitor to just try it. I know there are issues since the latest patch, but maybe those issues will be different enough (or fixable with hacks/tweaks as you say) that it will work better for me than what I'm dealing with now.

Thanks for the help!