Will lowering the native HZ on NCP affect Input lag?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
TTT

Will lowering the native HZ on NCP affect Input lag?

Post by TTT » 28 Jul 2018, 14:31

On a 240hz Gsync is it just better to leave it on native 240hz gsync on, even if you want to cap the frames quite alot under?

I have an I5-8400, 1070TI, 8GB RAM so games like Fortnite easily hit up to 240 but moves around alot. I have noticed it hits 100% CPU sometimes though and I get input lag in the game randomly (Maybe this isn't even the cause but I'm not sure).

So if I want to run lower HZ should I just leave my monitor on 240hz and use the ingame limiter to around 165 or 180, or is it better for me to set the monitor to 200hz on NCP and then do that?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Will lowering the native HZ on NCP affect Input lag?

Post by RealNC » 28 Jul 2018, 14:49

For the lowest input lag, you should set it at the highest Hz possible, and then limit the FPS to whatever you want. With g-sync, the refresh rate of the mode you've set determines how fast each frame is scanned out, even at lower frame rates. At 240Hz, the monitor only needs 4.17ms to scan out a whole frame. Even if you limit your FPS to something like 160, which will give you a 160Hz maximum refresh rate because of g-sync, each frame is still being scanned out in 4.17ms. So you get 160Hz but at the scanout speed of 240Hz.

If you use a mode with a lower refresh rate, this scanout speed will decrease and you will get higher average input lag.

So with g-sync: use the highest refresh rate mode, and then just limit your FPS to whatever you want.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

TTT

Re: Will lowering the native HZ on NCP affect Input lag?

Post by TTT » 30 Jul 2018, 12:36

RealNC wrote:For the lowest input lag, you should set it at the highest Hz possible, and then limit the FPS to whatever you want. With g-sync, the refresh rate of the mode you've set determines how fast each frame is scanned out, even at lower frame rates. At 240Hz, the monitor only needs 4.17ms to scan out a whole frame. Even if you limit your FPS to something like 160, which will give you a 160Hz maximum refresh rate because of g-sync, each frame is still being scanned out in 4.17ms. So you get 160Hz but at the scanout speed of 240Hz.

If you use a mode with a lower refresh rate, this scanout speed will decrease and you will get higher average input lag.

So with g-sync: use the highest refresh rate mode, and then just limit your FPS to whatever you want.
Thanks! :)