Gsync input lag

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
TTT

Gsync input lag

Post by TTT » 04 Sep 2018, 10:40

I'm pretty new to pc gaming and bought a Gsync 240hz monitor from the start, I've always felt aiming to in FPS games to be completely inconsistent though even at high frame rates. Most of the time the mouse feels floaty and I can't precision aim at all or it feels like I'm having to drag the mouse which I'm guessing is input lag.

I've read all the gsync articles here and found using in game limiters and Riva just made input lag worse and just left everything unlimited with Vsync forced off ingame and in NCP.

Turning Gsync off completely and leaving caps unlimited and vsync off seems to fix it completely, mouse feels super responsive and instant but reading all these test articles it says Gsync is pretty much latency free.

Am I just sensitive to the mouse latency or is something else going on? :|

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Gsync input lag

Post by RealNC » 04 Sep 2018, 10:47

The mouse feels a bit different when the monitor is synced to the game. That's normal. It doesn't mean it has more lag. Without vsync and without g-sync, frame delivery to the screen is inconsistent, and that affects how the mouse feels. With g-sync, every frame is consistent, and that changes how the mouse feels.

And of course the mouse will also feel different if you compare uncapped frame rates that exceed 240FPS with a capped frame rate.

I assume you capped your FPS correctly though. That is, 237FPS.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

TTT

Post by TTT » 04 Sep 2018, 10:50

RealNC wrote:The mouse feels a bit different when the monitor is synced to the game. That's normal. It doesn't mean it has more lag. Without vsync and without g-sync, frame delivery to the screen is inconsistent, and that affects how the mouse feels. With g-sync, every frame is consistent, and that changes how the mouse feels.

I assume you capped your FPS correctly though. That is, 237FPS.
The only game that I need to cap it on is Fortnite which you can't choose an exact figure so I used RTSS, it felt like way more input lag doing that than just leaving it unlimited with Vsync off.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 04 Sep 2018, 10:53

Fortnite is an Unreal Engine game. I'm pretty sure you can cap to whatever FPS you want by editing some ini file.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

TTT

Post by TTT » 04 Sep 2018, 11:25

RealNC wrote:Fortnite is an Unreal Engine game. I'm pretty sure you can cap to whatever FPS you want by editing some ini file.
I'll have a look how to do it and try it.