G-SYNC not sure it's working (or it's just me)

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
boycie1991

G-SYNC not sure it's working (or it's just me)

Post by boycie1991 » 05 Sep 2018, 16:42

Good Evening all,

I have a Acer Predator 165hz IPS G-SYNC monitor

When i play games at 100 plus frames the games feel like butter, but as soon as it hit's 90-80 fps it starts to feel sluggish kind of like a slow down!!

Is this just me or do other people have this issue?

in NVCP it's set to 165hz

Regards

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: G-SYNC not sure it's working (or it's just me)

Post by RealNC » 06 Sep 2018, 02:08

The lower your FPS, the higher the input lag. This effect is amplified by the "max pre-rendered frames" setting in the nvidia panel 3D settings. Go there, and change "max pre-rendered frames" to 1 and see if that helps.

But no matter what you do, lower frame rates will naturally just have more input lag than high frame rates. This is why I cap my FPS in games to a value that makes the game feel more consistent. With G-Sync, you can cap to whatever FPS you want, which is a big advantage.

In Doom 4 for example, the game usually runs between 100 and 160FPS, average around 120, so I cap to 120FPS. In Witcher 3, the game runs between 75 and 140, with an average around 90, so I cap to 90FPS. This avoids huge FPS fluctuations like 7 that incur big changes in input lag and motion clarity. Smaller FPS fluctuations are not as distracting.

You can use RTSS to cap your FPS if the game doesn't have its own frame limiter option. Avoid using nvidia's own frame limiter for this, as you end up with more latency. For the whole story, you can read our G-SYNC 101 series of articles:

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync ... -settings/

(It's 14 parts, but worth reading, especially the sections about using FPS caps.)

But to check whether G-Sync is indeed active or not, you can enable the g-sync indicator in the nvidia panel. It's hidden in the menus. You need to be in the 3D settings section (IIRC), and in the menus at the top, there should be an option in one of them that says "g-sync logo" or "g-sync indicator" or similar. Enable that. Now, when you start a game, a big "G-SYNC" logo should be displayed. Hard to miss. If it doesn't appear, then g-sync is not active.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.