Blur Busters Forums

Who you gonna call? The Blur Busters! For Everything Better Than 60Hz™ Skip to content

Auto-enable G-Sync or ULMB depending on the game

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.

Auto-enable G-Sync or ULMB depending on the game

Postby shurhand » 17 Sep 2018, 12:55

I want some games with G-Sync enabled and some others with ULMB, Is there a way to do this ?

I don't want to enable ULMB or G-Sync manually each time.
shurhand
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 17 Sep 2018, 12:50

Re: Auto-enable G-Sync or ULMB depending on the game

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 17 Sep 2018, 13:33

This can be tricky to set up but you can achieve this via using gaming profiles in software that supports profiles.

One popular program that does this is NVInspector. It has profiles that can switch modes (e.g. 120Hz ULMB versus 144Hz GSYNC). It can be tricky to enable ULMB from a computer application, but there's an API call (on some ULMB monitors) that may be able to enable/disable ULMB. This may not work on all monitors, but is worth a try.

At the minimum, refresh-rate switch as well as GSYNC enable/disable already exists in gaming profile switching applications, and possibly ULMB can be part of this too.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors
User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6370
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44

Re: Auto-enable G-Sync or ULMB depending on the game

Postby RealNC » 17 Sep 2018, 13:39

You can also just do that through the control panel. Enable G-Sync as usual, but for games where you want to use ULMB, go their profile in the nvidia panel, and in "Monitor Technology" select "ULMB". The global default will be g-sync, but you can set individual games to use ULMB instead.

For example, here's a screenshot on setting CS:GO to use ULMB instead of G-Sync:

Image

Depending on your monitor, you might also have to change the "Preferred refresh rate" setting for that game profile from "Highest" to "Application controlled", in case ULMB is not supported on your monitor's highest refresh rate.
TwitterSteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.
User avatar
RealNC
 
Posts: 2771
Joined: 24 Dec 2013, 18:32

Re: Auto-enable G-Sync or ULMB depending on the game

Postby shurhand » 18 Sep 2018, 18:00

RealNC wrote:You can also just do that through the control panel. Enable G-Sync as usual, but for games where you want to use ULMB, go their profile in the nvidia panel, and in "Monitor Technology" select "ULMB". The global default will be g-sync, but you can set individual games to use ULMB instead.

For example, here's a screenshot on setting CS:GO to use ULMB instead of G-Sync:

Image

Depending on your monitor, you might also have to change the "Preferred refresh rate" setting for that game profile from "Highest" to "Application controlled", in case ULMB is not supported on your monitor's highest refresh rate.


Chief Blur Buster wrote:This can be tricky to set up but you can achieve this via using gaming profiles in software that supports profiles.

One popular program that does this is NVInspector. It has profiles that can switch modes (e.g. 120Hz ULMB versus 144Hz GSYNC). It can be tricky to enable ULMB from a computer application, but there's an API call (on some ULMB monitors) that may be able to enable/disable ULMB. This may not work on all monitors, but is worth a try.

At the minimum, refresh-rate switch as well as GSYNC enable/disable already exists in gaming profile switching applications, and possibly ULMB can be part of this too.



Seems to work fine, but, what are all these G-Sync settings for ?

Image
shurhand
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 17 Sep 2018, 12:50

Re: Auto-enable G-Sync or ULMB depending on the game

Postby RealNC » 18 Sep 2018, 18:11

I don't know. I recommend not touching them and using the nvidia panel instead.
TwitterSteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.
User avatar
RealNC
 
Posts: 2771
Joined: 24 Dec 2013, 18:32

Re: Auto-enable G-Sync or ULMB depending on the game

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 19 Sep 2018, 08:11

If you're a newbie at "profile systems" like these, yes I recommend sticking to NVIDIA's. Changing unfamiliar settings can do bad things to a game (framerate slowdowns, weird effects). Once you are familiar, you can expand to the other software. Make the simple stuff work before doing the advanced stuff first.

Hope this helps!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors
User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6370
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44

Re: Auto-enable G-Sync or ULMB depending on the game

Postby shurhand » 19 Sep 2018, 12:24

Chief Blur Buster wrote:If you're a newbie at "profile systems" like these, yes I recommend sticking to NVIDIA's. Changing unfamiliar settings can do bad things to a game (framerate slowdowns, weird effects). Once you are familiar, you can expand to the other software. Make the simple stuff work before doing the advanced stuff first.

Hope this helps!


I'm only newbie at G-Sync/ULMB, i use Inspector since 2012 or so...
shurhand
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 17 Sep 2018, 12:50

Re: Auto-enable G-Sync or ULMB depending on the game

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 21 Sep 2018, 14:20

The thing to remember is that ULMB only works when GSYNC is turned off. Your settings seem to be the correct state (I think) when you want to enable ULMB.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors
User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6370
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44

Re: Auto-enable G-Sync or ULMB depending on the game

Postby shurhand » 23 Sep 2018, 18:55

Chief Blur Buster wrote:The thing to remember is that ULMB only works when GSYNC is turned off. Your settings seem to be the correct state (I think) when you want to enable ULMB.


These are the settings from the CSGO's profile, so i wanted ULMB and it works fine.
shurhand
 
Posts: 5
Joined: 17 Sep 2018, 12:50

Re: Auto-enable G-Sync or ULMB depending on the game

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 25 Sep 2018, 12:26

Great! Then you're all set now.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors
User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6370
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44


Return to G-SYNC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests