Help with G-sync and stuttering

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Tora_Ki

Help with G-sync and stuttering

Post by Tora_Ki » 02 Oct 2018, 04:09

Hey everyone, I watched this forum for a while and tried so many different things but couldn't fix this thing by myself so I am here seeking for help.

This is my current setup: 1st monitor Asus Rog Swift PG278Q with Gsync 144hz, 2nd monitor HP 22es monitor 60hz, Ryzen 5 2600x, Gtx 1080 Armor OC, 16 gb ddr4 3000Mhz. Both monitors are connected with display port cables to my GPU (for HP is use a an hdmi to dp cable)

And this is the problem I can't fix: damn stuttering in the only 2 games I play. I mostly play CS:GO and Rocket League and I think with my setup I could run both easily, I have basically the possible lowest settings in CS:GO and almost the lowest in Rocket League (I keep world detail on performance, texture in quality, particles in performance).

I am playing with G-sync on, Vsync on in NCP, v sync off in games, using their in-game fps cap limiter at 141. What happens is that every X seconds, at random, my fps (using the steam fps counter in game) drops from the 141 to 130/135/137 (sometimes CS:GO reach 120 and something) and I have an horrible "mini stutter" (Sorry I am not a tech guy, I am trying to explain with my words T__T) where the game freezes for 1 second and then it goes back to normal. I have setup the Gsync indicator and it says it's on, I have tried playing both of the games with Gsync on and Vsync off and uncapped FPS but 1st thing I am too used to the smoothness of Gsync and the games look ugly and my eyes hurt after 10 minutes and 2nd on CS:GO it still happens that it randomly drops from 250/280 fps to 144, and here comes the "mini stutter" again.

I have tried so many different nvidia drivers but things could only get worst, the only one that doesn't give me that problem is the 378.92 and I read somewhere that's because it doesn't support the new version of WDM in Windows10 (Sorry again If I am saying any tech blasphemy) but it's unstable, it crashes with new games, and sometimes also with Rocket League. I have disabled hardware acceleration in Chrome because I heard somewhere it could help but didn't fix my problem at all. I have disabled/enabled fast boot in win10, tried the "disable full screen optimization" option in both of the games. I don't know what else I could try. I heard that it might be because of the dual setup monitor with different refresh rates (60/144), do you think buying a 144hz as 2nd monitor will fix this? (Even I feel so dumb at the idea of having a 144hz just to watch Twitch and youtube videos or for my twitch streamings) Any ideas?

Thanks everyone and sorry for my crappy english :X

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Help with G-sync and stuttering

Post by RealNC » 02 Oct 2018, 07:49

Disconnect all other monitors. Reboot. Does this fix the problem? G-Sync has problems if you use more than 1 display.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Tora_Ki

Post by Tora_Ki » 02 Oct 2018, 09:32

Hey Real, ty for your answer. I have already tried and yes, with only the PG278Q everything is fine. Do you mean that is common knowledge that G-Sync is not working with dual monitor setup and I just have to deal with it? :(

Weird thing is that with the old driver everything is fine, I hope someone had my same issue and fixed it somehow :/

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 02 Oct 2018, 10:27

Tora_Ki wrote:Hey Real, ty for your answer. I have already tried and yes, with only the PG278Q everything is fine. Do you mean that is common knowledge that G-Sync is not working with dual monitor setup and I just have to deal with it? :(
Unfortunately, yes. Lots of people have this issue, and they had it for a long time now. I don't what triggers it. Some people reported that it might depend on what is actually being displayed on the second monitor. For example if you reboot, have the second screen active, but don't run ANYTHING else other than the game, then it works. As soon as you open a window on the second monitor, the problem appears. Maybe closing all windows on the second monitor will fix it?

I don't know if that's true or not, but I've seen it reported.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.